BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Hmm, CCBs first complaint

04-26-2022, 12:15 PM   #23
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Apologies, double post.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 05:58 PM   #24
Maniax
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2

Hi Shawn, can you share more of your experience about further differences between the M Compound steel brakes vs the CCB?
- you mentioned CCBs are less consistent than M compound brakes
- how about braking power?
- can you feel the decreased unsprung and rotational mass?
- noise difference?

I知 thinking of retrofitting a CCB kit, but it is very very costly. I do mostly hard/fast driving on mountain roads and will rarely intend to track my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
Getting the M5 CS with CCB's was something I did NOT want to do, but there is no option.

The thing I can echo from your experience is "inconsistency". When cold - no stop so well. First stop - no stop so well. Multiple brakes during the last lap - slow down from 160-60, brake fade compensation that you can obviously feel - no stop so well.

Other times, properly warmed up, proper point in the lap, proper last second trail braking - makes your effin' brain push your eyeballs forward in the helmet.

It is what it is. But you appear right.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 06:53 PM   #25
aj_g80
Captain
Rep
Drives: 720s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniax View Post
Hi Shawn, can you share more of your experience about further differences between the M Compound steel brakes vs the CCB?
- noise difference?

I知 thinking of retrofitting a CCB kit, but it is very very costly. I do mostly hard/fast driving on mountain roads and will rarely intend to track my car.

stick to the steels.

No you wont notice the unsprung mass/weight.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 10:09 PM   #26
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniax View Post
- noise difference?

The consistency lap to lap is not very high. This is likely due to the "warmup" needed for CCB's. This happens with metals as well, but is usually rock steady consistent after lap one. CCB's can have some inconsistencies after even two to three laps.

The braking power is high with the CCB's. Very high. The "inconsistency" that I mention above is contained within a zone that is braking harder than the metals. When the CCB's fade, they STILL stop as good as the metals at their BEST. So, they are very very good.

Apologies to my other board member, but I DO feel the decreased mass. The M5 CS feels MUCH less ponderous than the 2018 M5. Are there too many other variables to consider? Maybe. Maybe the brakes are only ONE of the reasons the CS feels better on track. Doesn't matter. This is a brake system I "DID NOT" want, because of CCB's reputation on track of being expensive and problematic. So, the kudos I give it are not from a CCB fanboi

I NEVER, and I really mean NEVER had a problem with the noise from the M compound brakes on the metals. Maybe that's because I beat the living shit out of them at track weekend after weekend and have a VERY good transfer layer on the disc that takes forever to remove with regular driving. The CCB's are just like this. For my break in, and track driving - perfection. No noise greater than the next door neighbors Kia on brake noise. They're awesome.

If I were doing add-on CCB's to a M5 that didn't have them? No way I would have paid the extra cost. No way. The metals on the F90 M5 are awesome. And, by comparison to equal cars, CHEAP to replace wear items. There has been NO OTHER CAR I've ever owned that OEM pads lasted two track events. NONE. The stock pads are perfectly fine for track.

One caveat of the metals on the 2018 - on my 2018 wore out the back pads very quickly. The "M Sport mode" still wears them out. "DSC totally off" makes the car a LITTLE BIT of a handful. The CCB's on the CS (has a really good track mode), the wear is perfect. Fronts need replacement after two great track weekends, and the rears are still fine, and will probably last three more. And the car is not a handful. Perhaps the differences in mode from 2018 to 2022? Maybe. CS vs standard M5? Maybe.

I hope this helps.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 10:14 PM   #27
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_g80 View Post
stick to the steels.

No you wont notice the unsprung mass/weight.
I'm with you on #1

Not so sure about #2. Maybe I do. Maybe it's because with the CS I have the M8 suspension. Who knows?

Shawn
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2022, 05:55 AM   #28
Maniax
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2

Thank you very much Shawn and AJ_g80.
After taking your opinions and advice into account, I agree I should hold off the CCB upgrade and keep to the blue M compound brakes.

I have yet to require even more braking power than what I have now with my steels, and I value consistency of pedal feel and bite because my country has plenty of rainfall and I need the brakes to bite consistently every time in wet highway traffic.
Appreciate 1
shawnhayes1829.50
      04-28-2022, 10:40 AM   #29
Simon H
Major
Rep

On my next outing in the car, i shall be concentrating on warming the CCBs properly, and testing them out again, will report back.
Appreciate 1
shawnhayes1829.50
      04-28-2022, 06:25 PM   #30
aj_g80
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
I'm with you on #1

Not so sure about #2. Maybe I do. Maybe it's because with the CS I have the M8 suspension. Who knows?

Shawn

The CS suspension definitely feels a little sportier/lighter to me. I think thats what it is for sure, i can definitely agree to that.

But if you hopped in an m5 with steel vs CCB, there's no way you can tell. Until maybe you mash on the brakes and your brain exits through the windshield
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 09:47 AM   #31
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_g80 View Post
The CS suspension definitely feels a little sportier/lighter to me. I think thats what it is for sure, i can definitely agree to that.

But if you hopped in an m5 with steel vs CCB, there's no way you can tell. Until maybe you mash on the brakes and your brain exits through the windshield
When I converted my GT-R from steel to CCB's i could tell the difference on acceleration, but the GT-R's brakes stock are HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY. The savings per corner were ridiculous. So maybe not the same.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 10:42 AM   #32
Simon H
Major
Rep

This video is interesting. Listen to the noise from 2.51 minutes onwards, from his brakes, until he makes the right hand turn. This is also the noise i experienced from the brakes, when i had the lack of bite from the CCBs. This would have been his first big stop on that lap ?. Didnt really hear it again much on his lap afterwards ?.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 08:14 PM   #33
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
This video is interesting. Listen to the noise from 2.51 minutes onwards, from his brakes, until he makes the right hand turn. This is also the noise i experienced from the brakes, when i had the lack of bite from the CCBs. This would have been his first big stop on that lap ?. Didnt really hear it again much on his lap afterwards ?.
I hear like a "groan" rather than a squeal. I've never heard this from my CCB's. I wonder if this isn't a "resonance" until enough material is transferred. I heard it on a few good hard stops during your video.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 09:28 PM   #34
aj_g80
Captain
Rep

Is this a repetitive issue? if it is, try bedding in your brakes. excellent info here.

https://www.mclarenlife.com/threads/...s-rotors.2073/

although i suspect you aren't driving hard enough on public roads to need to do this..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 02:12 AM   #35
Simon H
Major
Rep

Although I have done around 2500 miles from new, in 12 months, I admit to not being very aggressive with the brakes on the car. I don稚 use it that often, and I suppose , if anything, I知 too soft with it. Will try and follow some of the bedding in procedures that are mentioned in this thread, and see what happens. Like I致e already mentioned, the initial application, is always on point, and feel awesomely strong, as if over servoed, but I知 wanting that sort of stopping power, and feel, at any speed , and throught brake application. Thanks for the info provided.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 11:39 AM   #36
mpls_M5C
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Comp / 2021 WRX

After reading this thread, I feel confident I made the right decision to NOT get the CCB's living in Minnesota.
Although, I would probably drive it less during the winter to save it from the horrors of the immense amount of salt they use on the roads here... I wouldn't fully trust the CCB's when temps started getting below freezing, and not at all when they get in that -10* to -30* range some days... (Or is it the CCB's are fine, its that I don't trust myself to remember to warm them up multiple times throughout a daily drive? )

Well, all of this is moot I guess, until I can finally put in an order for a 2023 M5 Comp. My dealer still doesn't have the ordering guide for the 2023 MY M5's.

Anyway, great thread/discussion. Thanks all!
Appreciate 0