BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls    Track Oil Changes

07-02-2022, 08:14 PM   #1
PDOT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Garage List
Track Oil Changes

For those who track and autocross your cars, how often are you changing your oil? And are you using OEM or other brands?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 08:35 PM   #2
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDOT View Post
For those who track and autocross your cars, how often are you changing your oil? And are you using OEM or other brands?
I did a LOT, I mean, A LOT of research into my track heavy GT-R on which oil, and when, and how, and oil analysis, after oil analysis, after oil analysis, to arrive at the conclusion of.....

drumroll please.....

Modern car manufacturers build the car, and the oil tolerances and the recommended oil so well, that the incremental benefit you get from changing oil more often, and better visicosities, and better brands, and better chemistry

just isn't that much better than the dude who changes it by the manufacturers recommendations with the OEM oil.

And no, I'm not kidding. One of the best oils we tried in the GT-R was the BMW M oil. It just wasn't that much better than the Mobil 1 0w-40

Do whatever the heck you want, but the minimum of the OEM recommendations with the first oil change and the condition based monitor will keep your engine in very good shape.

Shawn
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2022, 06:39 PM   #3
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
It's really personal preference honestly and depends how hard you're really pushing it imo, personally I drive the car fairly hard even on the road and like to keep my oil clean, so I'm doing every 1500 miles no track days just because I can, otherwise usually I don't go past 3k anyway, less chances of stuff getting gummed up. And doing these 1500 mile oil changes you'd be surprised how many metal shavings I still have in the oil after almost 6k miles do what you will with that info.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 07:02 PM   #4
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

1500 miles for a street car with synthetic oil is ridiculous by any standard I have ever seen. But this is supposedly a free country, at least for rich white people, and if 1500 mile changes make you feel better, they are cheaper than therapy.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 08:41 PM   #5
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
1500 miles for a street car with synthetic oil is ridiculous by any standard I have ever seen. But this is supposedly a free country, at least for rich white people, and if 1500 mile changes make you feel better, they are cheaper than therapy.
I completely agree it's ridiculous lol, but it doesn't cost me anything so why not? (Well until fcp euro stocks the drain plug for the oil filter cap it costs me 20$) but yeah lol it's nice seeing the oil leave the engine dark brown instead of black. It's honestly a bit surprising just how dark it gets after only 1500 miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 01:09 PM   #6
PDOT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Garage List
1500 geez. You must be looking for a reason to get away from the wife lol
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 12:19 PM   #7
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
1500 geez. You must be looking for a reason to get away from the wife lol
🤣🤣🤣 even if I were it's what 10 minutes?🤣
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 03:40 PM   #8
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
🤣🤣🤣 even if I were it's what 10 minutes?🤣
Seeing as none of your BMW's last more than 3 months without being in little bitty pieces by the side of the road with everybody glad that you're still alive, why do you ever change the oil in a BMW ever?

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 03:43 PM   #9
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
Seeing as none of your BMW's last more than 3 months without being in little bitty pieces by the side of the road with everybody glad that you're still alive, why do you ever change the oil in a BMW ever?

Shawn
So that you can ask me brilliant questions like that😘
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 03:47 PM   #10
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
So that you can ask me brilliant questions like that😘
Well, for oil changes, that certainly has some impact. I NEVER EVER ask the guy next door how he changes his oil. He gets a new car every two years. Why does he care? And, if he told me what his schedule was, it wouldn't be pertinent.

So, I see why you have metal shavings in your oil every 1,500 miles. They haven't made it past the break in.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 03:55 PM   #11
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well, for oil changes, that certainly has some impact. I NEVER EVER ask the guy next door how he changes his oil. He gets a new car every two years. Why does he care? And, if he told me what his schedule was, it wouldn't be pertinent.

So, I see why you have metal shavings in your oil every 1,500 miles. They haven't made it past the break in.

Shawn
Right cuz you know what my other cars were and you just have pshycic powers to know I bought them new? My 100k mile 2013 m5, my 145k mile 335i convertible and my 80k mile m3, I'd say there's nothing wrong with doing oil changes more frequently, also love how you assume they end up in pieces. This was enough to total the 335 because value vs repair cost just wasn't there(trunk was bent and wouldnt operate for roof to open and close), got rear ended at a traffic light by a jeep that wasn't paying attention. You say you mind your own business but here you are digging in other people's yards. Have a good one!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 04:01 PM   #12
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Right cuz you know what my other cars were and you just have pshycic powers to know I bought them new? My 100k mile 2013 m5, my 145k mile 335i convertible and my 80k mile m3, I'd say there's nothing wrong with doing oil changes more frequently, also love how you assume they end up in pieces. This was enough to total the 335 because value vs repair cost just wasn't there(trunk was bent and wouldnt operate for roof to open and close), got rear ended at a traffic light by a jeep that wasn't paying attention. You say you mind your own business but here you are digging in other people's yards. Have a good one!
Quote:
Sad to say this will be the last bmw I'll ever own, was fun while it lasted but my curse runs deep... every bmw I've had got totalled during 3rd month of ownership and this hasn't been the exception... Sadly my car is gone.
So, one of these quotes doesn't fit with the other. Either every BMW you've owned has been totaled in the first 3 months, or it isn't.

I'm not psychic, just carrying over what you've said in other threads.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 04:05 PM   #13
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So, one of these quotes doesn't fit with the other. Either every BMW you've owned has been totaled in the first 3 months, or it isn't.

I'm not psychic, just carrying over what you've said in other threads.

Shawn
Oh sorry can peanut brain not comprehend that used cars exist? Never said they were new cars, never said the cars were 3 months old, and I quote: "first 3 months of ownership" aka I've had the car for 3 months, but hey, you're a "smart" guy that knows it all, I'm sure you considered that before being an asshat
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 04:11 PM   #14
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Oh sorry can peanut brain not comprehend that used cars exist? Never said they were new cars, never said the cars were 3 months old, and I quote: "first 3 months of ownership" aka I've had the car for 3 months, but hey, you're a "smart" guy that knows it all, I'm sure you considered that before being an asshat
Dude, you're the one that said you haven't been able to keep a BMW more than three months without it being totaled. If that's the case, what you have to say about BMW's and oil changes doesn't really apply. I haven't insulted you or your character in any way. However, I do question the wisdom of 1,500 mile oil changes if you can't keep a car more than 3 months. Not a comment on your competence, just the length of your experience on oil changes. I'm sorry that makes you haul out the personal insults, but whatever man.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 04:18 PM   #15
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Dude, you're the one that said you haven't been able to keep a BMW more than three months without it being totaled. If that's the case, what you have to say about BMW's and oil changes doesn't really apply. I haven't insulted you or your character in any way. However, I do question the wisdom of 1,500 mile oil changes if you can't keep a car more than 3 months. Not a comment on your competence, just the length of your experience on oil changes. I'm sorry that makes you haul out the personal insults, but whatever man.

Shawn
So what I shouldn't do oil changes in anticipation that I'm not gonna have a car in 3 months? Big brain time over at your place I guess. Again you're making assumptions about how much I drive for example if I didn't have my tesla as a daily this m5 would've had close to 15k miles by now, my other cars the lowest one I put 25k miles on it before getting rid of it and the 2013 m5 I put nearly 40k on it in the 3 months I had it, but sure why do oil changes if it's gonna be gone eh? Your logic is infallible so I apologize for daring to question your intelligence.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 04:25 PM   #16
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
So what I shouldn't do oil changes in anticipation that I'm not gonna have a car in 3 months? Big brain time over at your place I guess. Again you're making assumptions about how much I drive for example if I didn't have my tesla as a daily this m5 would've had close to 15k miles by now, my other cars the lowest one I put 25k miles on it before getting rid of it and the 2013 m5 I put nearly 40k on it in the 3 months I had it, but sure why do oil changes if it's gonna be gone eh? Your logic is infallible so I apologize for daring to question your intelligence.
This does not have to be so charged. How about, "I drove a 2013 m5 40k miles in 3 months and changed the oil every 1,500 miles and saw metal shavings in each and every oil change". Background is important. And if you're driving that hard to make oil shavings appear in the oil each and every time that's pertinent as well. No reason to take this personally. But, seeing as that last accident could have put you six feet under, I'll chalk it up to nearly meeting God. Glad you're okay except for a few minor injuries.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2022, 11:01 PM   #17
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
have a beer on me fellas! Y'all sound like you could use one. Lol
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 12:04 PM   #18
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
have a beer on me fellas! Y'all sound like you could use one. Lol
I'm not making a mountain out of a molehill, I was just questioning the wisdom of 1,500 mile oil changes. Dude took it personal that I noticed that every BMW he ever bought was totaled in the first three months. Not that I care, but if you don't have a car more than three months what you have to say about frequency and kind of oil changes is equivalent to what a 15 year old has to say about "long term relationships". You MAY actually give good advice, but who's to know?

Shawn
Appreciate 0