BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Cosmetic Modifications    Autotecknic Carbon Fiber Interior Trim Kit

05-02-2022, 01:35 PM   #1
TooPoor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5MC

Autotecknic Carbon Fiber Interior Trim Kit

How many of you have this kit successfully installed? The kit is appears to be an easy install, but I've had issues with all but one of the nine pieces. The included tape just doesn't stick after a few seconds. I did reach out to Autotecknic and they are working with me, but I was wondering if anyone else had adhesion issues (and fitment issues with the all the door pieces)? Can anyone recommend some very thin double sided tape that will actually stick? I did thoroughly clean all the trim pieces (on the car) prior to attempting to install - didn't help.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 08:59 AM   #2
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPoor View Post
How many of you have this kit successfully installed? The kit is appears to be an easy install, but I've had issues with all but one of the nine pieces. The included tape just doesn't stick after a few seconds. I did reach out to Autotecknic and they are working with me, but I was wondering if anyone else had adhesion issues (and fitment issues with the all the door pieces)? Can anyone recommend some very thin double sided tape that will actually stick? I did thoroughly clean all the trim pieces (on the car) prior to attempting to install - didn't help.
The thinnest double sided tape is going to be scotch tape. My wife uses it to wrap presents and I've used it for things here and there with no issues. Good adhesion. If there's isn't sticking my guess would be the material isn't making good contact due to not being perfectly shaped maybe and this the adhesive isn't touch
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 03:31 AM   #3
boost3dx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS & 2022 X5M

Garage List
2022 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Did you get anywhere with them on this?

Im wanting to order this but would like to know how it turned out for you.

Any idea if upon removal they may damage the stock interior?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 10:43 AM   #4
GranitM5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Try using a little heat. Should help it stick better. Don't overdo it or put too close to the interior trim pieces.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 01:18 PM   #5
TooPoor
Private
Rep

Although I’ve liked every Autotechnic product I’ve bought so far (F80, now F90), I cannot recommend this kit. I’ve tried stickier tape, more tape, heat, weight on top of the pieces overnight, etc. Within mins to hours, some part of EVERY piece came up/off. They offered to have me return it, but the damage that was done to the stock trim pieces by the previous owner was so bad that I decided to keep it. I have each piece about 90% on and I don’t think most people would even notice it wasn’t sitting flush. So unless your interior trim pieces were destroyed like mine, I really can’t recommend it. I do wonder if it’ll stick a bit better as the weather gets more humid.
Appreciate 2
Rjduff22.50
      05-22-2022, 01:20 PM   #6
TooPoor
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost3dx View Post
Did you get anywhere with them on this?

Im wanting to order this but would like to know how it turned out for you.

Any idea if upon removal they may damage the stock interior?
The tape they provide will not damage the stock trim pieces. At least not mine. And trust me, I’ve tried redoing each piece around six times now each time with new pieces of tape.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 06:55 PM   #7
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Although I’ve liked every Autotechnic product I’ve bought so far (F80, now F90), I cannot recommend this kit. I’ve tried stickier tape, more tape, heat, weight on top of the pieces overnight, etc. Within mins to hours, some part of EVERY piece came up/off. They offered to have me return it, but the damage that was done to the stock trim pieces by the previous owner was so bad that I decided to keep it. I have each piece about 90% on and I don’t think most people would even notice it wasn’t sitting flush. So unless your interior trim pieces were destroyed like mine, I really can’t recommend it. I do wonder if it’ll stick a bit better as the weather gets more humid.
Then just use some epoxy gel and masking tape. That overnight will certainly hold it down better than 2 sided tape.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0