BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    2023 M5 Comp

09-27-2023, 09:16 AM   #23
pmsteinm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M5C, 19 X5

Garage List
I also only want a car ordered my way. I don't even want my exact spec off the lot where it sat with rusting rotors, the dealer idled the engine for 5 hours to charge the battery, some doofus abused it on the test drive pre-break-in, etc. It certainly is more expensive to buy new. But I then try to keep the car a long time so that matters a bit less.

I've had 4 cars in 20 years, and all were purchased new and optioned exactly the way I wanted. I would not have accepted any other configuration of options.

But if ordering "your way" and being the first owner don't matter then buy used and save a boat load of money.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 02:04 PM   #24
isenc2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive Stage 1

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
Yeah, you could, and arguably it would make more sense financially. But thats not why I buy a car. I buy a car because I like it and want it done my way. One if the reasons I don't buy used cars among many others. Personally if i can't spec the car out to the moon and buy it, then I can't afford the car and there's no point in pretending I can (buying it used years later in a config I'm settling for). It's one reason why I got an m5 over something else like a dbs or even a 911. I'd be able to buy two of these m5s for the price of the 911 and 4 of them for the price of the dbs and I'm not in that financial position. I don't want to settle for a car thats "ok" just to be like ooo look at me I have a 911. I want the car done my way, 100% and that's gonna make the price skyrocket. It's like how you can get an m5 for 103k (back before price hikes) or you can get mine for 185k it just depends if you just want an m5 for the sake of having it or whether you want it to be YOUR m5.
And honestly, fair enough. It’s just to me BMW has never been a brand that tailors to individual taste, that brand has always been Porsche for me. It is very surprising that BMW allows for this much personalization. If I were to get a Porsche 911, I 100% would spec it out to my exact spec which is probably 65K over base price. However, after driving a 991.2 C2S for 3 days I realized I might stick with BMWs a bit longer. Also, I gotta ask, have you experienced any coolant loss due to the expansion tank leaking at all? Seriously considering buying LCI M5.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 02:10 PM   #25
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by isenc2 View Post
And honestly, fair enough. It’s just to me BMW has never been a brand that tailors to individual taste, that brand has always been Porsche for me. It is very surprising that BMW allows for this much personalization. If I were to get a Porsche 911, I 100% would spec it out to my exact spec which is probably 65K over base price. However, after driving a 991.2 C2S for 3 days I realized I might stick with BMWs a bit longer. Also, I gotta ask, have you experienced any coolant loss due to the expansion tank leaking at all? Seriously considering buying LCI M5.
Not on my car, driven 9k hard miles in the last month. (Yes I drive 10k miles a month on average). And bmw literally is called INDIVIDUAL it let's you do WHATEVER you want as long as you're willing to shell out the money. But it also has to get approved sort of like Ferrari.
Appreciate 0