BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    M5 v. M5C Daily Ride Difference

03-15-2024, 05:35 PM   #1
cjeansonne
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C F90 - Donnington Grey

Question M5 v. M5C Daily Ride Difference

I'm currently in the market for and debating between an LCI M5 v. M5C. I plan on leaving the car stock and am general easy on / baby my vehicles. I've only test driven an LCI M5C and found regular driving comfortable.

Question: Is the M5 more comfortable than the M5C in everyday driving or are they about the same? I know the M5C is slightly stiffer overall but is there a big gap in comfort between their "Comfort" settings?

If the drive is about the same in Comfort mode, I'll steer towards M5C because why not. If M5 if a much better ride, that may sway me away from the M5C.

If this has been covered before, please point me in the right direction. I could not find a thread on this direct question.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 05:55 PM   #2
carseatsm5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Ride quality differences were an issue pre-LCI. I haven’t really seen anyone complain with the LCI that the comp ride is too harsh. Get the comp since everyone is judgey about non-comps.
Appreciate 1
Namelss766.00
      03-15-2024, 06:04 PM   #3
LouK
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram TRX F90 M5

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1773126

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1932783

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1570553

Decent amount of info in these threads
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2024, 06:57 PM   #4
cjeansonne
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carseatsm5 View Post
Ride quality differences were an issue pre-LCI. I haven’t really seen anyone complain with the LCI that the comp ride is too harsh. Get the comp since everyone is judgey about non-comps.
Why is everyone judgey about non-comps? From what I’m seeing, it looks like there’s 4 to 1 M5Cs v. M5. Way more comps out there
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 07:00 PM   #5
cjeansonne
United_States
Rep

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
LouK170.00
      03-15-2024, 07:07 PM   #6
carseatsm5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjeansonne View Post
Why is everyone judgey about non-comps? From what I’m seeing, it looks like there’s 4 to 1 M5Cs v. M5. Way more comps out there
I’m mostly being tongue in cheek. But once BMW created the comp option it became a new and relatively inexpensive way for M5 drivers to make their ride more “special,” and so everyone now wants comps. So for resale you’ll probably want one too.

I kind of roll my eyes because it feels like the base, comp, CS, CSL thing is a BMW money grab but what do I know.
Appreciate 3
      03-16-2024, 04:11 PM   #7
smbsocal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 M5, '59 C1, '23 X6

Quote:
I'm currently in the market for and debating between an LCI M5 v. M5C. I plan on leaving the car stock and am general easy on / baby my vehicles. I've only test driven an LCI M5C and found regular driving comfortable.

Question: Is the M5 more comfortable than the M5C in everyday driving or are they about the same? I know the M5C is slightly stiffer overall but is there a big gap in comfort between their "Comfort" settings?

If the drive is about the same in Comfort mode, I'll steer towards M5C because why not. If M5 if a much better ride, that may sway me away from the M5C.

If this has been covered before, please point me in the right direction. I could not find a thread on this direct question.
I went with the M5 due to the comfort factor. Even the LCI comp with the suspension improvements will not be as comfortable as the M5. The size of the rims/tires makes a big difference as well, keep them smaller.

If you can test drive a base M5 you can compare the comfort suspension to sport suspension and see how great you feel the difference is. The sport suspension in the base M5 is closer to the M5C comfort suspension.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2024, 12:52 AM   #8
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbsocal View Post
I went with the M5 due to the comfort factor. Even the LCI comp with the suspension improvements will not be as comfortable as the M5. The size of the rims/tires makes a big difference as well, keep them smaller.

If you can test drive a base M5 you can compare the comfort suspension to sport suspension and see how great you feel the difference is. The sport suspension in the base M5 is closer to the M5C comfort suspension.
If you are talking pre-LCI, then yes. I drove a 2019 Base and then a Comp back to back. The Comp rattled my teeth out after a couple blocks. Got the Base. 17 months and 22,000 miles later, I drove an LCI Comp. They made marvelous upgrades to the suspension. Night and day difference, IMHO. 2 hours later I was driving a Comp. The Comp ride in all modes was superior to the Base ride in comfort. I think the suspension upgrades only went to the Comp, if memory serves me. Sport+ was even ok for around town, but you really need the high speed twisties to wring out the full potential of the F90. It took me on some marvelous trips.

For me, it would only be an LCI, and it would only be a Comp. My 2 cents. The price delta on a used one won't be that much. YOLO.
Appreciate 2
      03-17-2024, 01:54 AM   #9
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbimmer View Post
If you are talking pre-LCI, then yes. I drove a 2019 Base and then a Comp back to back. The Comp rattled my teeth out after a couple blocks. Got the Base. 17 months and 22,000 miles later, I drove an LCI Comp. They made marvelous upgrades to the suspension. Night and day difference, IMHO. 2 hours later I was driving a Comp. The Comp ride in all modes was superior to the Base ride in comfort. I think the suspension upgrades only went to the Comp, if memory serves me. Sport+ was even ok for around town, but you really need the high speed twisties to wring out the full potential of the F90. It took me on some marvelous trips.

For me, it would only be an LCI, and it would only be a Comp. My 2 cents. The price delta on a used one won't be that much. YOLO.
+1 — identical experience and same vehicular path. Pre-LCI base (~29k miles) —> LCI Comp (~15k, still in service).

Concur with everything here 100%!

P.S. Nice to see you on this side of the house again, snowbimmer!
      03-17-2024, 06:41 AM   #10
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
+1 — identical experience and same vehicular path. Pre-LCI base (~29k miles) —> LCI Comp (~15k, still in service).

Concur with everything here 100%!

P.S. Nice to see you on this side of the house again, snowbimmer!
Ha! Thanks. Sometimes you wake up and you just want to go slumming. 😁😁
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2024, 07:37 AM   #11
S EyeLand
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C

I have a pre LCI Comp. No idea what people are talking about with the comfort issue, and I'm lowered. I drove a few LCIs while I was shopping, and I actually found the pre lci comp to feel more solid, which I preferred, but the difference was immaterial imo. I think the car I got was just in excellent condition. Test drive everything because each car can feel different to the next, get the one that feels right.
Appreciate 2
GTTC55.00
      03-17-2024, 09:09 AM   #12
MunnyGuy
Bimmer Fan
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
In Canada I believe we were only given the option for Comps, if other markets were the same this may contribute to the numbers of Competitions out there compared to non Comps.

For the record I love my post LCI Comp and find it an awesome daily driver. My wife however believes our former 540 was more comfortable (ride, seats etc) I believe she is a bit nuts and just resents my joy with this car!😀
2021 Ford F150 Lariat
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 09:39 AM   #13
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by S EyeLand View Post
I have a pre LCI Comp. No idea what people are talking about with the comfort issue, and I'm lowered. I drove a few LCIs while I was shopping, and I actually found the pre lci comp to feel more solid, which I preferred, but the difference was immaterial imo. I think the car I got was just in excellent condition. Test drive everything because each car can feel different to the next, get the one that feels right.
Everyone can have subjective opinions but BMW changed the suspension in the LCI comp to make it more comfortable. It’s been pretty unanimous in people who have driven both that the LCI is a lot more comfortable. BMW intentional addressed ride quality and comfort with the update so it’s not a surprise that this is actually the case. It’s something BMW recognized could benefit from an improvement and they made it.

That’s not to say one can’t have a pre-LCI comp and thoroughly enjoy it or have no issues with it. It’s just some do and whether it bothered you/felt harsh or not — BMW improved it either way.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 09:44 AM   #14
S EyeLand
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post
Everyone can have subjective opinions but BMW changed the suspension in the LCI comp to make it more comfortable. It’s been pretty unanimous in people who have driven both that the LCI is a lot more comfortable. BMW intentional addressed ride quality and comfort with the update so it’s not a surprise that this is actually the case. It’s something BMW recognized could benefit from an improvement and they made it.

That’s not to say one can’t have a pre-LCI comp and thoroughly enjoy it or have no issues with it. It’s just some do and whether it bothered you/felt harsh or not — BMW improved it either way.
Do you know what they changed? Is it just springs, i did notice the pre LCI comps were lower than the LCI comps. I'm guessing the springs would be the difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 10:48 AM   #15
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by S EyeLand View Post
Do you know what they changed? Is it just springs, i did notice the pre LCI comps were lower than the LCI comps. I'm guessing the springs would be the difference.
I had to Google it because all I could remember was M8 GC dampers but it’s a good bit more. This article goes through it and has comments from the BMW M chassis developer, in part, on the changes:

https://www.motor1.com/reviews/42721...e-an-icon/amp/
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 11:29 AM   #16
S EyeLand
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post
I had to Google it because all I could remember was M8 GC dampers but it’s a good bit more. This article goes through it and has comments from the BMW M chassis developer, in part, on the changes:

https://www.motor1.com/reviews/42721...e-an-icon/amp/
Got it, thanks for the reference. The biggest selling point to the car I decided to buy was the overall stiffness if the entire package. It just felt to be the tightest F90 i test drove. I guess I'm desensitized to the bumps or i just prefer a super solid feel. My lowered F85 was much harsher on the bumps than the lowered F90 I have, while not feeling nearly as solid. I will say this, I was re-torquing all my work on the front suspension yesterday and I left the sensor off the driver's side strut in error. I went for a test drive and the car must have been sitting on the bump stops because it was terrible. I plugged that back in, and it was back to a smooth solid ride. Whatever those electronics do in the M5 are far superior to what they did in my X5M. After i get more miles in the pre LCI F90 I'm going to go for another LCI test drive. Ill be looking at F95s in the upcoming weeks so hopefully ill get to test drive another LCI comp then.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 02:52 PM   #17
BlueBy
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:

Hmmm... let's see, how do I add my 0.02cents w/o getting my head ripped off by potential bipartisan keyboard warriors...

I owned/own both...ride quality can sometimes be very subjective.
To me, the Comp daily ride was harsher vs the Base. I currently own a 991.2 Turbo S, and for some reason to me - only a dedicated suspension engineer can explain, the Comp rode harder vs the 911TTS while both in the softest settings with street tire psi settings.

My personal experience: the Base vs both the comp and the Porsche, is much more daily-drive softer under real world roads, potholes, imperfections and such.

Yes, BMW improved the ride quality on the 2021 & up Comp models, but the Base remains softer.

Status quo wise, many will tell ya to go for the Comp...and why not, some of those guys are leasing and not planning to keep it long term...and that's cool. But IF you are buying used/clean/CPO example and ride quality is more important vs a so called status quo, then go for the Base and don't look back. Oh, and regarding the power delta - it's immaterial.

Flame suit is on

I hope this helps

Thanks!
Appreciate 2