BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-22-2008, 02:31 PM   #1
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

Baseline Dyno Dynamics Run

Hey All,

Just got back from my first dyno run. Below are two baseline runs with the only mod a Helene drop-in air filter. I am getting the cp-e turbo-back as soon as its released, so that will be the first major power mod I get. We'll see what the numbers show.

Obviously, this dyno is on the conservative side, but I'll be using the same one after the exhaust goes on, so we'll be able to see the relative gains.

p.s. Props to Function Tuned in Dulles, VA. See you soon!
Attached Images

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 07:25 PM   #2
blacknbean
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

good idea to get a baseline. id like how much gain there is with an exahust only too
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 07:54 PM   #3
lambammm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i montego/coral

damn, only 254 to the wheels stock? jb3 here i commmeeee!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
Yearofthe1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambammm View Post
damn, only 254 to the wheels stock? jb3 here i commmeeee!
Like I said above, the Dyno Dynamics machine tends to post much lower numbers than other dynos. For instance, a DynoJet would probably show a peak power of 275-280 to the wheels. That's why dynos should only be looked at as tuning tools and not as the final word on what a car is capable of. The real use of this dyno will come when I get to see what cp-e's turbo-back exhaust does to the car.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 08:29 PM   #5
lambammm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i montego/coral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yearofthe1 View Post
Like I said above, the Dyno Dynamics machine tends to post much lower numbers than other dynos. For instance, a DynoJet would probably show a peak power of 275-280 to the wheels. That's why dynos should only be looked at as tuning tools and not as the final word on what a car is capable of. The real use of this dyno will come when I get to see what cp-e's turbo-back exhaust does to the car.
i say less than 8hp, what is your contention?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 08:35 PM   #6
Yearofthe1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambammm View Post
i say less than 8hp, what is your contention?
Care to expand that thought? I have no idea what you're referring to.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 08:59 PM   #7
Terp1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 BMW 325Ci

Not to go OT but I'm really looking forward to the results you get from the CP-E setup.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 10:18 PM   #8
mikead_99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 SMG 135i

Nice, those are actually great numbers for the "heartbreaker", good thought getting a baseline. Heh, I used to spend a fair amount of time over at Function Tuned when I had my 350Z, Dave's a great guy, your car is in good hands with that shop. I'll be curious to see how the CP-E does for you, or more importantly to me, how you like the fitment, workmanship, etc. I think I'm actually going to be more conservative with the breathing mods on this car than I was on my Z. For myself I think the car can use help in a few other areas before I really worry about squeezing out that last little bit of power from cat-deletes. JB3 is happening, but I may just go with an intake and only get rid of secondary cats with a cat-back myself, then move onto suspension, lsd, maybe gearing (depends how short JB3 makes them feel, may leave that alone), who knows what else. CP-E is definitely one of my top choices at this time for the cat-back though.
      11-22-2008, 11:01 PM   #9
Yearofthe1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terp1 View Post
Not to go OT but I'm really looking forward to the results you get from the CP-E setup.
Not off-topic at all, that's why I posted this thread. I'll of course post the stock dyno run with the cp-e dyno in my next thread on this. Stay tuned. (and please hurry up cp-e! :smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikead_99 View Post
Nice, those are actually great numbers for the "heartbreaker", good thought getting a baseline. Heh, I used to spend a fair amount of time over at Function Tuned when I had my 350Z, Dave's a great guy, your car is in good hands with that shop. I'll be curious to see how the CP-E does for you, or more importantly to me, how you like the fitment, workmanship, etc. I think I'm actually going to be more conservative with the breathing mods on this car than I was on my Z. For myself I think the car can use help in a few other areas before I really worry about squeezing out that last little bit of power from cat-deletes. JB3 is happening, but I may just go with an intake and only get rid of secondary cats with a cat-back myself, then move onto suspension, lsd, maybe gearing (depends how short JB3 makes them feel, may leave that alone), who knows what else. CP-E is definitely one of my top choices at this time for the cat-back though.
Yeah, Dave seems very comfortable in what he does. I'm just of the opinion that the full turbo-back set-up is going to do the most for power without messing with the ecu. I know I'll cave eventually, but I'm going to hold off on ecu tuning until I get the suspension, wheels, and tires right on my car first. I'd be annoyed with power that the suspension and tires couldn't handle. Although, it would be a good way to blow thru the RFT's so I would have an excuse to upgrade to some wider PS2's on lighter wheels... ......hmmmmm??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 01:58 PM   #10
MattD
Legend
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yearofthe1 View Post
Care to expand that thought? I have no idea what you're referring to.
I don't either, but I agree with you. We tend to see a lot more Dyno Dynamics in the UK than Dyno Jet glory dynos. They're purely a tuning tool to see the impact of mods and nothing more.

Until anyone gets their N54 tested on a bench with an engine dyno, rather than chassis dyno, they should pipe down about "low" numbers
Appreciate 0