E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Has BMW reached the end of perfection?

10-03-2005, 10:18 PM   #23
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
They'll just up the power, improves handling (into m3 territory), make the interior more comfortable, roomier, lighter parts... bottom line, there are always new technology, always room for improvement.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2005, 10:58 PM   #24
cntlaw
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 330i E90 C55 AMG

Garage List
I take that as a joke.
Not another 5-10 years until we see BMW comes up with a more innovative interior design and wheels that would match 'deluxe car' status. The BMW wheels are just awful, and wonder how much Ac Schnitzer have paid to BMW for making sure the stock wheels are ugly and force owners to go something in aftermarkets. Steering wheels gear shift buttons are almost a standard for most of the slightly more sporty cars but we don't find them on E90 unless you pay extra to go for a second graded 2-mode SMG . The SMG is still behind DSG and AMG Speed Shift anyway. It is a very long list.

For some reasons, without above, I love BMW because the handling and road feel are just magic.

Believe me, there were many good reasons people still pick a fading out W203 and not the E46/E90.

cnt
BMW 2006 330i E90 Jet Black/Black Leathers/Aluminium, Steptronic Active Steering; MTech Aero Kit Carbon Fibre Splitters/Diffuser. Bilstein PSS9 Coilover, Rays VOLK Racing RE30 Formula Limited Edition 18" Pirelli Rosso; Project Mu 355mm Forged 4pot Caliper. HID:Osram D1S 6000K, PIAA 6500K White Ring, Philips Diamond Vision HB4 5000K, PIAA H490/H491 Super Bright 6500K LED Interior Lights. Chrome S.Wheel Cover, Rear Windows Sunshades.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2005, 01:34 AM   #25
dmg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Yes, I know it isn't tech specific or black and white, that not allowed? Darn,

just simple banter as others as well as what's on the mind and in some auto reviewers as well...

Being most ridiculous ever read? (yet the long response) Glad I can amuse you. Perhaps read one topic once a year or else you are 'ing me. lol Anyway who cares, I didnt' get that intention on here. Frivolous questions on here is nothing new.. not trying to offend but defend with the high school jabs...

I feel that the car is about as good as it gets in the price bracket in handling/balance for the maker....I'll leave it at that

Great forum for a great car...

Last edited by dmg; 10-04-2005 at 03:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2005, 07:50 AM   #26
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1364
stressdoc wrote in part, "... But the 'age poll' proves me wrong; look at all the youngsters going for E90s."
************************************************** **Yup, the E90 is the entry level BMW car in this market (U S). The question is whether or not BMW will be able to keep these conquests over time. During the '80s 'Yuppies' discovered BMWs, many of whom later migrated to Acuras and Lexi. I think it could be argued that BMW began to change about then. I came very close to buying an Infinity this year and very well may do so the next time around if BMW keeps up it's migration toward the mainstream. It is getting more and more difficult to rationalize the cost difference, especially since I seldom drive at 9/10ths any more!
A new neighbor of mine has a 2002 in almost mint condition.

Atleast we're not having to do valve adjustments every 30k miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2005, 07:56 AM   #27
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34Three
I like Bens description here, after returning from my ED trip I am completely satisified with the e90 improvements but I still ask myself what was it about the 89 325i that got me hooked on BMW? It was the heavy wheel and teutonic handling of a civilized sedan that drove like a track car. There is something about that car that I paid $2600 for in 2001 that still rivals what I paid $40k for recently. Call it nostalgia, call it foresight whatever, I will never forget where this car came from, and that my friends makes it worth the premium, its a pedigree, a blood line, a legacy that keeps us coming back for Bayerische Motor Werkes
I knew a guy who had the 318i 1987-88. It was a hybrid convertable w/roll cage. The rear window was made of canvas and folded like a normal top, but the roof popped off and was stored on a tray in the trunk. Well all gave him crap about the car because the "i" was upsided down and the car was a gift from his father for passing geometry.

Car was a blast to drive eventhough the center console did shake too much.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2005, 08:28 AM   #28
YYdoodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 fanatic

Good thread just to discuss how far BMW has come in innovation. I'm sure the original poster didn't actually mean "perfection" has been reached. Been fun reading the responses!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2005, 03:17 PM   #29
BMW786
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SGraphite90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntlaw
The BMW wheels are just awful, and wonder how much Ac Schnitzer have paid to BMW for making sure the stock wheels are ugly and force owners to go something in aftermarkets.
hey....I have stock rims. Thanks, now I feel ghetto.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2005, 04:59 PM   #30
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Oh yes there is still a MASSIVE amount of improvement that BMW can make to their cars - even to the M series, let alone the 3 series. Things like flywheel/torque converter to rear wheel power loss, heat loss etc. The car is quite an inefficient machine so there is lots of room for improvement. Even if we don't see big leaps in engine power and torque, we could see better, more efficient use of that power to the road.

We even talk about BMW's power compared to others even if the quoted numbers are against BMW's. The introduction of the electric water pump for instance helped a little to make for a more efficient engine and a shorter, lighter unit as well.

Run flats - love 'em or loathe 'em - make for a more efficient car by allowing a large (mostly wasted) space to be better utilised.

I read some years ago an interview with BMW emgineer who was waiting for the day that they could dispense with the deadweight starter motor.

I have only scrapped the tip of the tip of the iceberg in what has been and will continue to be a long journey to making the petrol powered car a more efficient machine.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2005, 05:06 PM   #31
MCS
e90 newbie
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E93

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I disagree with cntlaw. IMO, BMW makes the best OEM wheels out there, look at past examples with the M5, the 645, current e90 star spoke (162?) and double spoke wheels. I put BMW wheel designers right behind Ferrari as some of the best looking rims on the OEM market.

Saab & Saturn - Now there are some ugly wheels. GM should fire the designer.
      10-04-2005, 05:20 PM   #32
squirtdad
Rep
Drives: 325i (soon)

End of perfection.....no, but new challenges.....some for BMW, some for enthusiasts....

The challenge will be to BMW meet the demands of enthusiasts, while improving mileage, using new technologies and keeping the driving feel, control and "oness" there. Challenges such as how to keep a manual transmission using new technologies like hybrids

The challenge for enthusiasts will be to focus more on fun to drive, great handling and focus less on pure speed. Pure speed is wonderful fun, but comes at a cost in terms of fuel and efficiency. BMW has done a good job so far....ie 330 255 hp. at 20/30.....but to me is seeems a 2 liter that gets 25/40 and that makes your drive better would be a lot more 'real' fun.....but no car manufacturer will do that unless mandated...either by goverment or consumers. I would rather it be the consumers who say I can deal with 7.5 quarter and a 125 mph top speed, but don't take my manual away and make the handling even more responsive.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2005, 06:36 PM   #33
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
The best OEM wheels I ever had were on my MB. They were just gorgeous and unflashy. I personally don't mind the stock BMW wheels either, but then I'm old. Won't be long I'll think hubcaps are cool.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0