Cc20
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 m5

Garage List
2013 bmw m5  [0.00]
Car shipping

Has anyone used road runner auto transport? If so, should I use them or plycar?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 09:20 PM   #2
TrecNY
Private
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp; X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cc20 View Post
Has anyone used road runner auto transport? If so, should I use them or plycar?
I just went thru the process of looking for a solid auto transporter.
I cannot speak about road runner, but after doing hours of research and calling companies, I ultimately decided to go with plycar over 4 other companies.
So far, Plycar has been easy to deal with over the phone and as soon as BMW Financial gives me the green light, Plycar said they will pick up the car within 48 hours and have it at my front door in 3-4 days. So I haven't gone thru the physical shipping process yet but I will report back.
Unsure if this is helpful but I put together a Pros and cons based on what I learned when choosing between Playcar vs a broker...

Plycar
Pros:
- Responsive and easy to talk to on the phone
- Enclosed carriers that ship door to door
-Time - they had the quickest ETA. As i mentioned, they said they will pick up the car within 48 hours and have it delivered in 3-4 days
- Is not a middleman/broker, therefore they own their trucks and their drivers work for them. This means they can make their own schedules and stick to it as opposed to relying on an outside person/company to transport the car.

Cons:
- Expensive - most expensive quote I received

Brokers (I believe roadrunner is a broker)
Pros:
- Responsive and easy to talk to on the phone - all of the companies were great and willing to answer questions. One was a little pushy to get me to go with them but they were still nice and willing to provide additional info.
- Options of shipping car: enclosed or open. And some can offer a single trailer option, instead of waiting for an 18 wheeler to ship the car
- Price - can get some favorable pricing depending on how you want the car shipped

Cons:
- Time - companies that I spoke to said they wouldn't even pick up the car for 2 weeks and then it would be another week for shipping. Just about all of the companies could not give a definitive timeline, just very very rough estimates that were going to take well over a week.
- Don't know what kind of transporter/driver you are going to get because they pass the actual transporting off to a third party

In my situation, I decided to pay the extra money to ensure I know an ETA of the car delivery with enclosed door to door shipping. I've had friends use brokers though and just about all of them have had good experiences but I like a little more guarantees when shipping a $100k+ car. I am sure there are additional Pros and cons to both and maybe someone who went thru the entire process can shed some light as well but off the top of my head those were the ones that stuck out to me.

I maybe singing a different tune if this all goes wrong with Plycar after they pick up the car

Finally, the thread I started is below. It won't answer the question about road runner vs Plycar, but you can see a few folks on bimmerpost support going with plycar.
https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2078687

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
Cc2032.50