BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Difference between M550i & M5?

01-25-2024, 12:23 PM   #1
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Difference between M550i & M5?

to those who have actually tested both cars for a bit, maybe you actually owned both at some point!

what is the difference in suspension, throttle response, driving dynamics, low end pull in these cars? i can't drive the 550 unless i'm in sport plus (even then the throttle response is too slow) and sport suspension setting on the DHP (aka M suspension professional) even then it's too bouncy for me.

anything else I should know?

I am guessing the M5 has a lot more high end pull, and I am presuming the M5 drinks a lot more fuel (not something I'd care about - the 550 i consistently get 20-23mpg on long distance travel).

thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 01:36 PM   #2
LouK
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram TRX F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
to those who have actually tested both cars for a bit, maybe you actually owned both at some point!

what is the difference in suspension, throttle response, driving dynamics, low end pull in these cars? i can't drive the 550 unless i'm in sport plus (even then the throttle response is too slow) and sport suspension setting on the DHP (aka M suspension professional) even then it's too bouncy for me.

I am guessing the M5 has a lot more high end pull, and I am presuming the M5 drinks a lot more fuel (not something I'd care about - the 550 i consistently get 20-23mpg on long distance travel).

thanks
Majority of your issues could be solved with a tune and suspension mods on your current ride. With that being said, I test drove an M550I fairly extensively before getting the M5. I have never regretted the extra cost for the M5 over the 550I.
Throttle response in eco is fine for just cruising and early morning drives. It all depends on your personal driving style.
I am averaging right at 23 mpg with my current drive. I still probably roll on the throttle 2-3 times a day and keep that average. I have yet to hear someone say “I shouldn’t have gotten an m5 and wish I got the m550i”
Appreciate 1
F30Andy1774.00
      01-25-2024, 01:45 PM   #3
pmsteinm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M5C, 19 X5

Garage List
Here is what I posted on an older thread about this (if you search this and the G30 forum you will probably find more such threads over the years):

Quote:
If you can test drive both that is the best. I tested a 19 M550, M5, M5C over the course of 2 days back in 2019. The M550 I did first and thought it was a very nice car and felt pretty close to my 09 CTS-V in performance but better since it had 10 year newer suspension/bushings/etc. Then I drove the M5 and immediately noticed it was more fun even when just poking along. It felt completely different than the M550. I didn't do WOT on any of these cars because they weren't broken in and since I'd driven a fast car for 15 years at that time I didn't really worry about that. I knew it would be better than what I was used to.

The next day I went back at tired an M5 Competition and immediately decided that was what I wanted. The ride firmness was what I was used to from the V. That was pre-LCI, so when I got my '23 comp I feel the ride quality is the same or better than the 09 V depending on the surface. And all of the above cars (V included) had better ride quality than my wife's E90 335i w/the sport suspension.

It took me less than 24 hours after getting the M5 to decide I wasn't going to keep my 09 V (w/a manual). The M5 is just more enjoyable to drive at any speed/condition.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 02:11 PM   #4
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:

thanks

This come up a few times a month it seems on the forum.

The M5 is a completely different animal.

It handles better. Stops faster. Has more low end power. Has more mid range power. Has more top end power. I has better seats (IMHO). It has better more aggressive body work, and wheel options (IMHO). I sounds different, not better or worse (IMHO). Driving dynamics are better.

Bouncy is an odd one to me... Hard to know what you mean there ? Like softer and too springy for you? Or too harsh, stiff, jarring? The M5 will be more solid. Likely stiffer, but some people like the softer 550i suspension. But also depends on the year, the LCIs got suspension revision, to not be as stiff... Bouncy? Not sure, because thats kind of relative to what other dynamics you're referring to like I said above. You could have very soft "bouncy" suspension. Some could describe harsh, stiff and "bouncy", to me that doesnt mean bouncy, you'll certainly feel the road more. But to me bouncy would be a description of say like.... well.... a bouncy ball. LOL like sitting on a yoga ball. Is a yoga ball stiff? Not really in my opinion, it's squishy and bouncy. But I could see a car having very stiff aggressive suspension feeling "bouncy" but to me that doesn't mean soft and squishy either. It means you feel the contours and bumps of the road more with the stiffer suspension.

The most aggressive setting on a 550i, is comparable to the comfort/sport mode on m5 maybe?

Here's the best way to describe the M5 vs 550i ....

The 550i is a powerful luxury/executive sedan. Certainly has some "sporty" attributes to it... but falls well short of the M5 (by a lot) in the sportiness category.

The M5 is a very powerful super saloon sedan, with all the luxury the 550i has to offer.

They both mix 2 worlds, but I think the M5 nails both better. Meaning... the m5 nails the luxury part of the equation just as well as the 550i (since they have all the same features for the most part). But the 550i does not nail the performance. So you'll get everything and more in an M5 that the 550i has. The same cannot be said in reverse. Which is not a surprise, thats the way BMW positioned it on purpose. The M5 is more expensive and is the pinnacle for the BMW 5 series. But it is maybe a touch louder, and more stiff. But for good reason. Certainly will not be like jumping in an M5 CS, or M4CSL type of feeling. (unless you're aiming for an F90 CS?).

Gas Mileage ? Negligible differences, since they both have a 4.4L TT V8. The cars are similar weights. It's much more going to come down to how you drive it. I would definitely NOT say the m5 drinks "a lot" more fuel... Maybe it does based on someone's driving habits? But if you get 20-23mpg in a 550i, you may get 19.5-22.5 in the M5 all other things being equal, lol.... But... If this is a buying decision, I would likely not consider either cars in that respect. Even though they do just fine.

Like said above poster, Many Many people come to the M5 from a 550, or compare the 2, and i've yet to see someone go for the 550i OVER an M5 for any other reasons than 550i is cheaper and less performance minded. But I have to say, someone who thinks the M5 is TOO sporty, would likely not care that the 550 has over an over 500hp TTV8 also, and would just choose a 540i, or something else altogether because they dont care about performance. Anyone who has performance in mind would NEVER chose a 550 over M5, unless it was purely budget reasons or if they for some reason hated something about the M5. At which point they would likely hate the 550 also, and go to another car completely.
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2024, 02:27 PM   #5
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:

thanks

This come up a few times a month it seems on the forum.

The M5 is a completely different animal.

It handles better. Stops faster. Has more low end power. Has more mid range power. Has more top end power. I has better seats (IMHO). It has better more aggressive body work, and wheel options (IMHO). I sounds different, not better or worse (IMHO). Driving dynamics are better.

Bouncy is an odd one to me... Hard to know what you mean there ? Like softer and too springy for you? Or too harsh, stiff, jarring? The M5 will be more solid. Likely stiffer, but some people like the softer 550i suspension. But also depends on the year, the LCIs got suspension revision, to not be as stiff... Bouncy? Not sure, because thats kind of relative to what other dynamics you're referring to like I said above. You could have very soft "bouncy" suspension. Some could describe harsh, stiff and "bouncy", to me that doesnt mean bouncy, you'll certainly feel the road more. But to me bouncy would be a description of say like.... well.... a bouncy ball. LOL like sitting on a yoga ball. Is a yoga ball stiff? Not really in my opinion, it's squishy and bouncy. But I could see a car having very stiff aggressive suspension feeling "bouncy" but to me that doesn't mean soft and squishy either. It means you feel the contours and bumps of the road more with the stiffer suspension.

The most aggressive setting on a 550i, is comparable to the comfort/sport mode on m5 maybe?

Here's the best way to describe the M5 vs 550i ....

The 550i is a powerful luxury/executive sedan. Certainly has some "sporty" attributes to it... but falls well short of the M5 (by a lot) in the sportiness category.

The M5 is a very powerful super saloon sedan, with all the luxury the 550i has to offer.

They both mix 2 worlds, but I think the M5 nails both better. Meaning... the m5 nails the luxury part of the equation just as well as the 550i (since they have all the same features for the most part). But the 550i does not nail the performance. So you'll get everything and more in an M5 that the 550i has. The same cannot be said in reverse. Which is not a surprise, thats the way BMW positioned it on purpose. The M5 is more expensive and is the pinnacle for the BMW 5 series. But it is maybe a touch louder, and more stiff. But for good reason. Certainly will not be like jumping in an M5 CS, or M4CSL type of feeling. (unless you're aiming for an F90 CS?).

Gas Mileage ? Negligible differences, since they both have a 4.4L TT V8. The cars are similar weights. It's much more going to come down to how you drive it. I would definitely NOT say the m5 drinks "a lot" more fuel... Maybe it does based on someone's driving habits? But if you get 20-23mpg in a 550i, you may get 19.5-22.5 in the M5 all other things being equal, lol.... But... If this is a buying decision, I would likely not consider either cars in that respect. Even though they do just fine.

Like said above poster, Many Many people come to the M5 from a 550, or compare the 2, and i've yet to see someone go for the 550i OVER an M5 for any other reasons than 550i is cheaper and less performance minded. But I have to say, someone who thinks the M5 is TOO sporty, would likely not care that the 550 has over an over 500hp TTV8 also, and would just choose a 540i, or something else altogether because they dont care about performance. Anyone who has performance in mind would NEVER chose a 550 over M5, unless it was purely budget reasons or if they for some reason hated something about the M5. At which point they would likely hate the 550 also, and go to another car completely.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 04:08 PM   #6
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

very cool thanks

when i mean bouncy i mean yoga ball bouncy

i bought the 550 because it was offered to me for 40% off retail with 1000 miles on it. at that time a M5/M5C was not available. in fact never considered the 5 series. my next car after the M340i would have been the M3, but i got the 550 instead. best thing i ever did - it's not a track car, rather a piece of art.

after having both, the 5 series is for me, not the 3.

i really love the 550, it's amazing. i don't even look at my M340i anymore. not sure what to do with the 340.

i was thinking if it's worth me trading in both cars for the M5. can't test it.

but the replies are exactly what i imagine the M5 would be.

i want to have the last pure ICE BMW makes in my garage until it dies. currently I have 2. which is great. having one better one would be better, but it's not the end of the world to have 2.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 05:09 PM   #7
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
very cool thanks

when i mean bouncy i mean yoga ball bouncy

i bought the 550 because it was offered to me for 40% off retail with 1000 miles on it. at that time a M5/M5C was not available. in fact never considered the 5 series. my next car after the M340i would have been the M3, but i got the 550 instead. best thing i ever did - it's not a track car, rather a piece of art.

after having both, the 5 series is for me, not the 3.

i really love the 550, it's amazing. i don't even look at my M340i anymore. not sure what to do with the 340.

i was thinking if it's worth me trading in both cars for the M5. can't test it.

but the replies are exactly what i imagine the M5 would be.

i want to have the last pure ICE BMW makes in my garage until it dies. currently I have 2. which is great. having one better one would be better, but it's not the end of the world to have 2.

thanks
Yes trade both for an M5, you wont be disappointed. If you like a larger car, and wanted an M3, the M5 is the perfect vehicle for that.

The M3, and M5 are compared heavily in here also, and youll find similar sentiment with the 2 main caveats being.....

1) The M3 is a better car for track days with out a doubt. It's more nimble, and some would say more "fun" to drive. which is highly subjective. Stock for Stock the M5 is noticeably faster. And for 95% of people daily driving the car the M5 capabilities will never be touched on the road by a non-trained driver. The M5 is no slouch on a track by any means. But the M3 is definitely a smaller, lighter, more nimble car. That comparison is good enough to make from the 340i to the 550i. Similar levels of differences between M3 and M5.

2) The M3 has some better tuning and aftermarket capabilities if thats something of interest for you.

Other than those 2 things (thats, if you think those are important...) the M5 is a better, faster, more luxurious car, and some would argue more prestigious over an M3 or 550i. Some think the M3 is a little younger, dare say, boy racer type of car. While the M5 is more luxurious, more respectable grown up vehicle (sorta).
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 06:29 PM   #8
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnotrom711 View Post
Yes trade both for an M5, you wont be disappointed. If you like a larger car, and wanted an M3, the M5 is the perfect vehicle for that.

The M3, and M5 are compared heavily in here also, and youll find similar sentiment with the 2 main caveats being.....

1) The M3 is a better car for track days with out a doubt. It's more nimble, and some would say more "fun" to drive. which is highly subjective. Stock for Stock the M5 is noticeably faster. And for 95% of people daily driving the car the M5 capabilities will never be touched on the road by a non-trained driver. The M5 is no slouch on a track by any means. But the M3 is definitely a smaller, lighter, more nimble car. That comparison is good enough to make from the 340i to the 550i. Similar levels of differences between M3 and M5.

2) The M3 has some better tuning and aftermarket capabilities if thats something of interest for you.

Other than those 2 things (thats, if you think those are important...) the M5 is a better, faster, more luxurious car, and some would argue more prestigious over an M3 or 550i. Some think the M3 is a little younger, dare say, boy racer type of car. While the M5 is more luxurious, more respectable grown up vehicle (sorta).
that's exactly what i think. after not liking the 340 (i'm not hating it, but the car as a car, just doesn't feel as good as the 550), i switched my attention to the M5. after seeing what the new M5 is going to look like and with the PHEV rubbish, I thought maybe I'd trade both for the F90.

i'll make some enquiries and see where it leads to.

re track. i am under the impression (from reading and youtube) that the M5 is not as capable on track as the M3, but i also have no doubt the M3 is actually not a pure track car either lol, if i want to track i will get a proper track car that doesn't weigh 2 tonnes with fake soundtrack. but i have no access to a track.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 06:35 PM   #9
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouK View Post
Majority of your issues could be solved with a tune and suspension mods on your current ride. With that being said, I test drove an M550I fairly extensively before getting the M5. I have never regretted the extra cost for the M5 over the 550I.
Throttle response in eco is fine for just cruising and early morning drives. It all depends on your personal driving style.
I am averaging right at 23 mpg with my current drive. I still probably roll on the throttle 2-3 times a day and keep that average. I have yet to hear someone say “I shouldn’t have gotten an m5 and wish I got the m550i”
i am under the impression you can't tune a 2021 550 ... something about ECU (?DME) being locked.

also there's no tuner around where i live. i'm also someone that cannot stand hassle and need for trial and error. don't want to deal with CEL, dealer telling me they're not fixing something because i tuned it, etc.

but mainly no tuner and i thought ECU is locked

i don't say I wish i bought the M5 because there was no M5 and i was about to look at an M3 but i thought I'd try out the 550 for fun. it's VERY fun! too much fun!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 08:04 PM   #10
Tk718
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 m550i

Not to hijack this thread but I figure it’s relevant to ask since we’re comparing 550 to m5. I might have an opportunity to buy a ‘22 base M5 for a decent price after my ‘21 m550i lease ends in few months. Buy out for my 550 will be $47k in 2 months , the ‘22 base m5 with 10k miles is $82k. I was strongly considering buying my car but would like to know if the m5 base is worth the extra $35k ? I also don’t have opportunity to test drive it. I would like a more direct steering than 550 provides and less body roll.
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2024, 08:25 PM   #11
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

is the 4MA - M Multifunctional seats any good?

I presume it's not as good as comfort seats?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 09:16 PM   #12
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk718 View Post
Not to hijack this thread but I figure it’s relevant to ask since we’re comparing 550 to m5. I might have an opportunity to buy a ‘22 base M5 for a decent price after my ‘21 m550i lease ends in few months. Buy out for my 550 will be $47k in 2 months , the ‘22 base m5 with 10k miles is $82k. I was strongly considering buying my car but would like to know if the m5 base is worth the extra $35k ? I also don’t have opportunity to test drive it. I would like a more direct steering than 550 provides and less body roll.

How many miles on your 21 550?

Keep in mind, while these 2 examples have a 35K price difference, the real difference is likely much less (maybe 20-25K) than that if you factor in eliminate a couple things...

1) you're comparing 2021 to a 2022 with 10k miles. If your 550i has 30-40k miles, thats substantially more miles which makes the M5 even better if you compare actual value. Meaning if you had a 2021 M5 with 30-40k miles, the price difference would be less. But the M5 is a year newer, and (maybe) a lot less miles.

2) your residual on your lease buy out (usually) is pretty conservative. so that if bmw has to buy it back, and re-sell it theyre not too far off positive or negative. They want that residual to be close to the wholesale value of the car in the event they need to liquidate it.

So that means this:

Let's assume for this scenario you had a 2021 M5 you were considering with the same miles as a 2021 550i (both have the same miles as your current 550i). And you were at a dealership looking at both? The 550i would be retail priced at maybe 55,000.00, and the M5, 75,000.00 since its a 2021 with 30k miles. now the price difference is only 20k. Much more real life example and data.

So to answer your question.. Personally even at 35K difference I personally think it's worth it all day and 2x on Sunday, and when you factor the REAL value difference is more like 15-25K then it's absolutely worth it. ALL DAY.

The steering on the M5 has been criticized as being "numb" feeling. Which I can understand, but it's far from an annoyance to not buy the car. Body roll? Yes, much less. And steering should be better than the 550i. But some say the M5 still leaves a little to be desired. There is also some minor modifications you can do that make the M5 steering better if I remember correctly.

But for all intents and purposes, itll be a massive upgrade to the 550i, and an extreme minority of people wouldnt buy the M5 because of the steering. But they also wouldnt buy the 550 because of it also, because it's worse. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2024, 09:20 PM   #13
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
that's exactly what i think. after not liking the 340 (i'm not hating it, but the car as a car, just doesn't feel as good as the 550), i switched my attention to the M5. after seeing what the new M5 is going to look like and with the PHEV rubbish, I thought maybe I'd trade both for the F90.

i'll make some enquiries and see where it leads to.

re track. i am under the impression (from reading and youtube) that the M5 is not as capable on track as the M3, but i also have no doubt the M3 is actually not a pure track car either lol, if i want to track i will get a proper track car that doesn't weigh 2 tonnes with fake soundtrack. but i have no access to a track.
Yes with the exception of maybe some of the rare track focused M3/M4 variants, CS, CSL etc. Correct the standard M3, Comp, is technically not a pure track car either. But it is definitely better than the M5 on a track in terms of handling. While it would still leave purists needing more. Which would mean they need a CSL, or GT3, etc. That doesnt make the M3 or the M5 "horrible" track cars. They both hold their own for sure.

But stop light to stop light? Commuting? Normal everyday street driving? You'll enjoy the M5, and likely NOT be able to push it to the limits anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 07:00 AM   #14
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

If your M550i is as bouncy as you’re describing I might think there’s something wrong with your suspension. I def did not have that experience in mine.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 06:38 PM   #15
LouK
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram TRX F90 M5

Quote:
i am under the impression you can't tune a 2021 550 ... something about ECU (?DME) being locked.

also there's no tuner around where i live. i'm also someone that cannot stand hassle and need for trial and error. don't want to deal with CEL, dealer telling me they're not fixing something because i tuned it, etc.

but mainly no tuner and i thought ECU is locked

i don't say I wish i bought the M5 because there was no M5 and i was about to look at an M3 but i thought I'd try out the 550 for fun. it's VERY fun! too much fun!
You can do a jb4 or other piggy back tuner. Would get you above 600HP on your m550i. Also can ship out your dme to get unlocked but that’s a pain.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 06:46 PM   #16
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post
If your M550i is as bouncy as you’re describing I might think there’s something wrong with your suspension. I def did not have that experience in mine.
it's not bad, i don't mind it. it's all relative as I have a M340i that drives like a go kart on rails and stiff-as springs. the 550 front end just dives a bit more, but understandable as there's a V8 over the front end.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 06:49 PM   #17
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouK View Post
You can do a jb4 or other piggy back tuner. Would get you above 600HP on your m550i. Also can ship out your dme to get unlocked but that’s a pain.
i'm happy with my 550, really happy (but not happy with the 340). will the JB4 fix the throttle response?

but there is this M5C listed ... so i asked some questions.

does the M5 cost more to "maintain" ? i'm guessing the won't break more often, but the wear parts and unexpected parts breakage will cost more to replace.

Last edited by G30M; 01-26-2024 at 07:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 11:44 PM   #18
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
Read my build page and see

A cow vs a prize bull

Period.
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 12:20 AM   #19
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
i'm happy with my 550, really happy (but not happy with the 340). will the JB4 fix the throttle response?

but there is this M5C listed ... so i asked some questions.

does the M5 cost more to "maintain" ? i'm guessing the won't break more often, but the wear parts and unexpected parts breakage will cost more to replace.
I cant speak to the 550, but I put a racechip on my 2019 M5C which is similar idea to the JB4, but a little less extensive... so this may not apply at all, but I did not notice any difference or have any ability to change throttle response at all on my M5C. JB4? I dont think it would change anything, but I wouldnt take that as fact.

Im not even sure full tunes would mess with throttle response, but they very well could, I dont know. Because ive never looked into it. Sh*t, for all I know the racechip did change the throttle response and I just didnt notice.

It just changes boost a bit, and some other minor parameters, and provides an extra 50-100 hp, which is definitely noticeable, but only when youre "on it". Could just be me, but the boost does feel to come on "stronger" when it spools up. Like you can feel it more after the turbo lag. But could be a complete placebo.

As far as maintenance... It's not a simple answer, some parts will be identical, some not. Some will be more expensive, some not.

Example, replacing brakes pads, rotors, and tires? Will be more on the M5 for sure. Theyre high perforce of course, more robust, and less volume of the parts manufactured which drives costs up. A transmission? probably more on an M5. random things like head lights, tail lights, body parts, electronics, likely the same or very close to the same price. Not sure on things like oil changes, but I would assume theyre similar, since its similar engine block, would depend on what type of oil is required I guess.

M cars are generally built pretty stout, and built to take a beating. But with that said, they have tight tolerances and when something goes wrong it could be more of a problem. But when maintained properly like any other car, you shouldn't have too much to worry about.

Especially on the F90, most would say it's one of the more "reliable" M cars out there in recent years, and there is a few minor common issues, but nothing like the spun rod bearings or other big problems like on older m5s, m3s, etc. The issues are things like the coolant tank leaking, which isnt a big issue to fix, and covered under warranty usually. It can become a bigger problem if not addressed, but it's common from the heat the engine puts out.
Appreciate 1