BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Anyone prefer the standard car over the Competition ?

06-08-2019, 07:16 AM   #1
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Anyone prefer the standard car over the Competition ?

Hi,
Doers anyone prefer the standard M5 over the Competition model ?. Maybe the more compliant suspension of the standard car, may make for greater progress over undulating back roads, and the need for the firmer Comp set up, is not really needed in this car, unless you are at the track regularly, where the argument then is, its not really a track car ?.
I dont think the 17bhp or so, will even be felt in the real world, and wont feel any slower as the torque is the same ?. Any thoughts ?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 08:00 AM   #2
e90alpinem3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

This has been beat to death if you search the main forum. When I leased mine I drove both back to back and didn't make it far in the comp before both myself and the salesman said wow the ride quality is much harsher. It all depends on where you live street conditions and what you consider a harsh ride. Coming from an AMG ? Well the comp m5 will feel like a Buick in terms of comfort. It's all subjective.

On the speed side. Get a RaceChip tune and the comp model will be in the rear view fast
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 08:46 AM   #3
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90alpinem3 View Post
This has been beat to death if you search the main forum. When I leased mine I drove both back to back and didn't make it far in the comp before both myself and the salesman said wow the ride quality is much harsher. It all depends on where you live street conditions and what you consider a harsh ride. Coming from an AMG ? Well the comp m5 will feel like a Buick in terms of comfort. It's all subjective.

On the speed side. Get a RaceChip tune and the comp model will be in the rear view fast

I actually dont think its been beat to death. There have been many comparisons of the cars based on a quick blast up the road, or a lap time, but how many folks have had both cars for a reasonable time, to find out a proper conclusion ?. Ive just sold a Competition, and will be buying again later this year. I actually think this car could be better suited in standard form, rather than Competition, but thats just my personal opinion, and i wondered if anybody else thought so ?. I feel the more compliant suspension of the standard car, would make attacking B roads much better ?.

Last edited by Simon H; 06-08-2019 at 09:51 AM..
Appreciate 1
JCZ51482.50
      06-08-2019, 09:08 AM   #4
Demon Barber
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5, 2022 911 Turbo S

I've never driven the comp, but I can say I wouldn't want my M5 to be any stiffer than it already is. And a 17 hp difference will be miniscule if even detectable. Car and driver literally tested both and the base model still holds the quickest 0 to 60, meaning that tires, temps, etc mean more than 17 hp. I think stiffer than stock suspension is the wrong direction for this car that is trying to be versatile, especially since almost nobody will be tracking it regularly. You're literally paying extra money to be less comfortable.
Appreciate 1
Simon H876.00
      06-08-2019, 09:20 AM   #5
Next Phase
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

I opted for the base car as it's going to be my daily driver. I have a Gen 5 Viper and a GT350 R for the track, so didn't see the need for the comp pack since I don't plan to track the M5.

If the M5 was my only vehicle, I might consider the comp pack. Ride quality and harshness are all relative.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 09:33 AM   #6
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Phase View Post
I opted for the base car as it's going to be my daily driver. I have a Gen 5 Viper and a GT350 R for the track, so didn't see the need for the comp pack since I don't plan to track the M5.

If the M5 was my only vehicle, I might consider the comp pack. Ride quality and harshness are all relative.

I agree about being relative etc, but my honest opinion at this time, is that stiffer/firmer is not always better. The slightly softer, more travel and compliant dampers, would aid progress in some situations ?, maybe not on a smooth bowling green track surface, but on everyday give and take roads, it may be better to be softer ?.
I did test drive both cars myself on different days, but didnt really test them thoroughly, as i just virtually drove home, and back to the dealers, when really, i should have given them both the full test treatment. Dont get me wrong, im not knocking the Competition in the slightest, and if it wasnt for me moving house, it would still be in the garage, and going nowhere.
But as i will be buying again later this year, i may just go for the standard car, because of what im talking about here. I think a standard car with ceramics may be for me. Im being lent a standard car for a weekend soon, so will be able to see for myself if i am talking rubbish.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 09:43 AM   #7
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
I agree about being relative etc, but my honest opinion at this time, is that stiffer/firmer is not always better. The slightly softer, more travel and compliant dampers, would aid progress in some situations ?, maybe not on a smooth bowling green track surface, but on everyday give and take roads, it may be better to be softer ?.
I did test drive both cars myself on different days, but didnt really test them thoroughly, as i just virtually drove home, and back to the dealers, when really, i should have given them both the full test treatment. Dont get me wrong, im not knocking the Competition in the slightest, and if it wasnt for me moving house, it would still be in the garage, and going nowhere.
But as i will be buying again later this year, i may just go for the standard car, because of what im talking about here. I think a standard car with ceramics may be for me. Im being lent a standard car for a weekend soon, so will be able to see for myself if i am talking rubbish.
On a smooth track the Competition model wins hands down.

Surprisingly, on the Nurburgring, the base model ran its quickest time in Sport instead of Sport Plus due to the roughness of the track. So you do have a point that conditions do matter.
Appreciate 1
Simon H876.00
      06-08-2019, 09:46 AM   #8
Fireblade1000
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3X

You know my thoughts Simon, more than happy with the base, as you say minimal difference in power but not as hard a ride, although my assumption that the base would be less prone to rattles didn't serve me well did it
Appreciate 2
Simon H876.00
Sedan_Clan25085.00
      06-08-2019, 09:54 AM   #9
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
On a smooth track the Competition model wins hands down.

Surprisingly, on the Nurburgring, the base model ran its quickest time in Sport instead of Sport Plus due to the roughness of the track. So you do have a point that conditions do matter.

That is interesting, i always swore my Competition rode better in sport than in comfort, it seemed to float over, and take the edge of bumps better imho.
Appreciate 1
Drtjxtz160.00
      06-08-2019, 10:01 AM   #10
SpeedyDad
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Garage List
2003 E39 M5  [0.00]
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
No regrets getting the base. It performs well on track and is total overkill on public roads. The car doesn’t need more of anything. If you want a more focused sports car, the competition is not that. Spend that 130k on a Porsche.
Sold - 2018 M5
Appreciate 2
Simon H876.00
Sedan_Clan25085.00
      06-08-2019, 10:29 AM   #11
dappercivility
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

I got the competition and the car is comfortable in comfort mode. Nothing harsh. So far so good.
      06-08-2019, 11:26 AM   #12
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Well as you know I've had both, the roads I use are mixed some crap some good, I could have kept the M5 2018, but I have jelled with the Competition , not as harsh as thought it would be, power wise not much in it in my driving though it does seem to pick up and go harder, the handling on the roads I use it's marginally better, cornering much better and flatter.
IF I lived in a town and drove a lot in one I would stick with the M5 not the CP, if I lived in London forget the M5 altogether just a wast of car, I travel to London once twice a month, when there cars parked up, and London transport used.
If cost was a consideration then for road driving the STD car is good enough. I do get a bit of freedom to open it up some it's so instant.
Almost forgot the Exhaust sounds better on the comp too. The cost of forged wheels alone would be most of the comp money difference, So it must be worth a few quid extra for what you get.
PS) I do miss the CCB's.

Last edited by JOHNBMWM5; 06-09-2019 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 11:31 AM   #13
Next Phase
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:

I totally agree that the softer suspension is better for acceleration runs - which may be why the base car has similar / better 0 to 60 times.
In my Hellcat, the quickest setup was track mode for transmission setting and street mode (softest) for suspension setting.

This wait is killing me. My car did just get into the paint booth!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 12:29 PM   #14
ST3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Even though this has been discussed at length and I am an owner of a non comp F90...I really enjoyed this review / conversation. Long video but worth it for someone wanting more info / weighing this out. Fellow F90 Owners...let me know if you agree that this is a healthy conversation.

Appreciate 1
      06-08-2019, 12:42 PM   #15
devondragon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
I have a comp, and run the suspension in Sport mode about 95% of the time, and honestly I’ve never felt it was too harsh. I guess everyone has different tastes and different roads. The Colorado roads aren’t glass smooth, although they aren’t as bad as Boston roads were. *shrug*. If the road is really rough I’ll drop it down to Comfort. I’ve never once wished for softer suspension in this car.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 12:42 PM   #16
masmole
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue, gray, brown cars

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I chose the Comp over base simply for the cachet of being the most extreme 5-series variant offered by BMW, bragging rights, and to one-up my friend who bought a base M5 a few months before I picked up my Comp lol

Because after test-driving both base and comp, they more or less feel the same in daily driving situations out on the road. It’s only when pushed near their limits do the differences between the two variants become more apparent, which is still not “night and day” like some people have claimed. So my take is that since they drive more similar under normal conditions (95% of the miles I’ll be driving in) and only more different when driven near or at the limit (at the track = less than 5% of the driving), then might as well get the Comp so I can actually benefit from and appreciate the added dynamics during the very few times I really need it, while the trade-off of minutely stiffer ride is not really that noticeable even on rough roads even after driving both back to back. Both variants have good ride compliance in comfort mode and only the occasional big bump or pothole would give me a subtle reminder that I have a Comp and not a base, which is a rare occasion even on these poorly-maintained Chicago roads I drive on. I do always try to avoid the potholes all the same whether I’m driving a sportscar or an luxury barge.
jrhee0.00
      06-08-2019, 12:51 PM   #17
Neptune7
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Have a hard time understanding how the comp. could be slower than the base off the launch. There could be statistical variance of course with such a small difference in power and torque range, but surely in favor of the comp? Unless the stiffer engine mounts are heavier... do the car weigh different?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 01:35 PM   #18
northtorque
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 2019

Quote:
I had similar conundrum as well. I tested both cars 24hrs apart on same road surfaces so it was a fair comparison and I found the comp only slightly harsher - was suprised actually how compliant both were. In the end I went with the standard non comp (in transit this week ) However, I was never on truly rough back roads and I too wonder, like Simon, if a more compliant suspension “keeps the rubber in contact” more efficiently and is therefore better on real world road surfaces. In the end, I would imagine the best suspension set-up will be the ceramic brakes with some ultra-light non OEM alloys (this combo ditches almost 100lb of total rotating mass i believe); the reduced rotating mass and weight savings will be way more beneficial (than comp pack) I’m sure on both acceleration and driving dynamics. The comp camber changes and steering programming changes however might be missed some?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 01:40 PM   #19
M5 F90 (2018)
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

I have the standard M5 and for me around the London roads it was a no brainer. The comp is a tad harder ride, I would not say harsher but defo harder and only really noticeable when hitting the pot hols or bad surfaced roads. In the standard M5 I don't avoid the pot holes, I just go through or over them which is what I was looking for. Re the 0 - 60 times, not sure in the US but here in the UK most comps seem to be on Pirelli's and the standard M5 Michelin's. No questions over here which is the better tire for grip so may have something to do with it. I have also found the standard M5 specked cars in the UK have much more extras added on, yet the comps seem fairly lacking on the options. I waited to the pull a trigger on a 7 month old car which cost £112k new and had lost £40k and still only had 25 miles on the clock. These things depreciate like a stone over here so hope they are holding up better over there in the US. Anyway my pennies worth!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 02:05 PM   #20
northtorque
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune7 View Post
Have a hard time understanding how the comp. could be slower than the base off the launch. There could be statistical variance of course with such a small difference in power and torque range, but surely in favor of the comp? Unless the stiffer engine mounts are heavier... do the car weigh different?
I think you answered your own question - statistical variance. Cars weigh the same ( minor rotating mass weight saving with the comp wheels) and there is only a 3% power bump with a few percent extension of peak torque rpm range also minimal.
Think of it this way.... go stage 20 races back to back with same conditions / DA / etc and the comp will maybe win 12 out 20, the base 8 out 20. The comp is “faster” yes? - technically true but still 40% of the time the base beat the comp.
Then go on to do different testing dates/etc and this will result in variances more significant than any difference between the cars as eluded to above. This can set up the “slower” car to seem faster of course. Maybe someday we will see stats with standard deviation / sigma values all corrected to standard atmospheric and surface conditions - that would be information overload!
The slightly stiffer suspension on the comp might work a bit against it at launch as well depending if a rougher road surface.
Appreciate 1
Neptune71432.50
      06-08-2019, 03:31 PM   #21
av.7447
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E39, E60 M5, F06 M6, F15, F90

Quote:
Hi,
Doers anyone prefer the standard M5 over the Competition model ?. Maybe the more compliant suspension of the standard car, may make for greater progress over undulating back roads, and the need for the firmer Comp set up, is not really needed in this car, unless you are at the track regularly, where the argument then is, its not really a track car ?.
I dont think the 17bhp or so, will even be felt in the real world, and wont feel any slower as the torque is the same ?. Any thoughts ?
Personally I could care less about the competition model... The standard M5 is jarring enough already as it is and I have very high doubts it will turn up a much faster track time because of a stiffer and lower ride... feels like a marketing gimmick if you ask me. The acceleration feels the same and if that’s not enough for you just get a racechip. I say, save your money and get more options!
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25085.00
      06-08-2019, 03:45 PM   #22
bear040
Private
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

I have 5000 km on my19 Comp...LOVE IT... if I'm buying M5 .. I know shallow but I want top M5 and Comp is it ..... that Badge just feels Hot.,, gonna get knocked for above commen. But I'm having a blast. So who cares... for No regrets...
Appreciate 2
limeypride4425.00
jrhee0.00