BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    DMS Remap

06-01-2019, 09:25 AM   #1
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

DMS Remap

I am thinking about a DMS remap, they said today IF there is a problem to involve warranty work, they can come out and remove it without it being traceable then put it back on after, for servicing the dealerships do not see it.
IF this is the case and they run one and have had work and servicing done by BMW without issue, I am seriously looking at it.
They can come to you and do the remapping.
765BHP is quoted.

Anyone
      06-01-2019, 10:01 AM   #2
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
I am thinking about a DMS remap, they said today IF there is a problem to involve warranty work, they can come out and remove it without it being traceable then put it back on after, for servicing the dealerships do not see it.
IF this is the case and they run one and have had work and servicing done by BMW without issue, I am seriously looking at it.
765BHP is quoted.

Anyone
With the greatest of respect to the DMS guys, that is incorrect. If BMW chose to build in detection technology, then they can absolutely detect it. So either DMS know BMW didn't (which I cannot refute) or they're giving you an uninformed opinion.

Last edited by limeypride; 06-01-2019 at 05:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 07:31 PM   #3
3sgte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335D

Quote:
765BHP is quoted.

Anyone
Bang on mate. They came out to me on Thursday. Had the Akrapovic (OPF) version installed a few days earlier, hoping i'd get no CEL. Unfortunately, I did.

Anyway, we got down to their West Brom branch the day after and they came out from Southampton to map it.

770HP / 750LB-FT

To say the car is brutal is an understatement. It's SAVAGE! But still poodles about with 2 baby seats in the back and a pram to boot

Cheers
Appreciate 1
Simon H876.00
      06-02-2019, 02:04 AM   #4
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sgte View Post
Bang on mate. They came out to me on Thursday. Had the Akrapovic (OPF) version installed a few days earlier, hoping i'd get no CEL. Unfortunately, I did.

Anyway, we got down to their West Brom branch the day after and they came out from Southampton to map it.

770HP / 750LB-FT

To say the car is brutal is an understatement. It's SAVAGE! But still poodles about with 2 baby seats in the back and a pram to boot

Cheers
Wow great news.
      06-02-2019, 06:40 AM   #5
shahin
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 M5 FE,15 M6 GC, 12 M5,06 M5

Quote:

770HP / 750LB-FT

Cheers
Are those crank or at the wheel numbers?
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 11:20 AM   #6
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahin View Post
Are those crank or at the wheel numbers?
Thank you
Crank I would think.
      06-02-2019, 12:04 PM   #7
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

A final caution and then I'll shut up:
1. technologically speaking, if BMW want to detect ECU mods, there's nothing anyone can do about it. Their intent is key here. This isn't opinion, this relates to what I do for a living.

2. I spoke with my lead tech at my local dealer and they have confirmed numerous occasions where warranty claims were denied because of aftermarket-mods; he wasn't specific since there were many but said ECU flashes were among them.

3. Even piggybacks aren't fool-proof but, if removed before service, the traces they leave behind can only explained as theories or inferences--not hard cryptographically-backed evidence of tampering.
Appreciate 2
TrevorM33321.50
      06-02-2019, 12:06 PM   #8
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
A final caution and then I'll shut up:
1. technologically speaking, if BMW want to detect ECU mods, there's nothing anyone can do about it. Their intent is key here. This isn't opinion, this relates to what I do for a living.

2. I spoke with my lead tech at my local dealer and they have confirmed numerous occasions where warranty claims were denied because of aftermarket-mods; he wasn't specific since there were many but said ECU flashes were among them.

3. Even piggybacks aren't fool-proof but, if removed before service, the traces they leave behind can only explained as theories or inferences--not hard cryptographically-backed evidence of tampering.
Very valued advise I will give it a lot more thought. thanks
limeypride4423.50
      06-02-2019, 12:17 PM   #9
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

770HP / 750LB-FT

Cheers
Now for the friendly-rivalry post--I laugh at your girlie numbers:

On a Mustang dyno...

- with a JB4 disabled (i.e. stock), she put down 594 awhp and 592 aw ft Ibs

- with the JB4 on map 1 (+4 psi over stock), she put down 646 awhp and 681 aw ft Ibs

- with the JB4 on map 6 (custom boost per RPM and gear), she put down 715 awhp and 740 aw ft Ibs

The details and the way I attempted to ensure the credibility of these results can be found here:

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...38;postcount=1

This setup (not my car sadly, just the same setup) has so far yielded (at best) a 10.21s 1/4 mile on the dragstrip (it was running race gas and an aftermarket air filter).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 01:30 PM   #10
3sgte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335D

Quote:
Now for the friendly-rivalry post--I laugh at your girlie numbers:

On a Mustang dyno...

- with a JB4 disabled (i.e. stock), she put down 594 awhp and 592 aw ft Ibs

- with the JB4 on map 1 (+4 psi over stock), she put down 646 awhp and 681 aw ft Ibs

- with the JB4 on map 6 (custom boost per RPM and gear), she put down 715 awhp and 740 aw ft Ibs

The details and the way I attempted to ensure the credibility of these results can be found here:

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...03&postcount=1

This setup (not my car sadly, just the same setup) has so far yielded (at best) a 10.21s 1/4 mile on the dragstrip (it was running race gas and an aftermarket air filter).

But since were on totally different dyno's i'd rather take your "friendly-rivarly post", with a pinch of salt...

Good numbers nevertheless. Enjoy it.

I certainly am
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 03:00 PM   #11
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

But since were on totally different dyno's i'd rather take your "friendly-rivarly post", with a pinch of salt...

Good numbers nevertheless. Enjoy it.

I certainly am
So a no to the "friendly-rivalry" then, got it.

The numbers themselves are mostly meaningless, it's the relative numbers that help paint the picture outside of side-by-side dragstrip stats. Per my plots below, the JB4 provides a ~120 awhp gain and ~145 aw ft Ibs. If you have your car's stock numbers, that would help us get closer to an apples-to-apples comparison.

Out of curiosity, what brand of dyno was used?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 03:08 PM   #12
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Amazing numbers, but I love my warrantee!

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 03:43 PM   #13
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
Amazing numbers, but I love my warrantee!

Mike
Indeed.

Me, too, actually. And that is one of the primary reasons I favor piggyback solutions.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 08:06 AM   #14
Mightyhoof
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 COMP

Garage List
2019 BMW M5  [0.00]
Does removing Vmax also voids warranty?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 09:57 AM   #15
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Indeed.

Me, too, actually. And that is one of the primary reasons I favor piggyback solutions.
lol These are detectable also. If the engine goes so does your warantee.
FSociety3812.50
      06-24-2019, 10:09 AM   #16
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Indeed.

I'm tired of this topic so won't regurgitate--take a look at the other recent threads on this for the status quo of current opinion. I don't disagree but there's some nuance.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 08:49 AM   #17
MuffinFlavored
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 MT

Quote:
Can't the same be said for flashes? In theory, officer, I only answered the seed/key UDS over CAN/OBD-II request to flash my ECU with some software upgrades I found online then put it right back to stock, I swear! No performance upgrades at all!
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2019, 09:47 AM   #18
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinFlavored View Post
Can't the same be said for flashes? In theory, officer, I only answered the seed/key UDS over CAN/OBD-II request to flash my ECU with some software upgrades I found online then put it right back to stock, I swear! No performance upgrades at all!
This is what EVOLVE say word for word.
"We are not covered for any failures on our own car. If something breaks we have to fix it. We do push our own cars harder than customers would to prove reliability. Our F10 M5 had 55k miles on it and we did 10 vmax events in that and around 500 dyno runs. We never had an issue with it but that doesn't mean other cars won't. Issue now is people are trying to get even more power out of them to outdo the next tuner.

We have said before that BMW can detect tunes very easily since around 4 years ago. Flashing back to stock and locking ECU's does not hide the fact that you have tuned your car. If you are going to do it just go in with your eyes open.
limeypride4423.50
M4RC6.00
      04-27-2020, 10:46 PM   #19
PlayNskillz
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C X7 M50D

Ok so I’m thinking of getting DMS to give me a ECU re map etc. They say it will take my stock M5 COMP to 740+ BHP... they can also give more pops an crackles etc. does anyone have any videos on how this will sound?
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2020, 07:28 AM   #20
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:

you still have a chance with a piggyback. you have zero chance with flash.

I personally know 6 s63tu's that blew, 5 had Flashes, 1 had a piggyback. Want to guess which person got a new motor covered?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 07:30 AM   #21
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
This is what EVOLVE say word for word.
"We are not covered for any failures on our own car. If something breaks we have to fix it. We do push our own cars harder than customers would to prove reliability. Our F10 M5 had 55k miles on it and we did 10 vmax events in that and around 500 dyno runs. We never had an issue with it but that doesn't mean other cars won't. Issue now is people are trying to get even more power out of them to outdo the next tuner.

We have said before that BMW can detect tunes very easily since around 4 years ago. Flashing back to stock and locking ECU's does not hide the fact that you have tuned your car. If you are going to do it just go in with your eyes open.

the real issue is everyone is trying to push the car farther than what it's capable of. You want a strong f10/f90, build the motor.

Wait, nevermind, nobody does that. Everyone wants to spend a couple bucks to flash tune, throw a dp in it, and beat on it every weekend and still have a reliable DD. It's not happening. Wake up. The f10 was NEVER that car, and the f90 won't be either.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 08:14 AM   #22
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
you still have a chance with a piggyback. you have zero chance with flash.

I personally know 6 s63tu's that blew, 5 had Flashes, 1 had a piggyback. Want to guess which person got a new motor covered?
YEP NONE in the UK, as this has been uncovered many times.