BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    H&R M550i Sport Springs on the M5 F90

02-28-2019, 09:13 AM   #23
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Different suspension geometry and shock length is the main key here.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
soooma1376.50
      02-28-2019, 09:22 AM   #24
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Different suspension geometry and shock length is the main key here.
There you go!
That's wha tI am talking about Abd did suspect that M550i will not have the same drop cosmetically like the M5,

Another question r33_RGSport Ben, how come it's for M550i and feel that noticeably stiffer? I feel I just jumped into an M5C which I have heard about but never tasted the forbidden fruit
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 09:26 AM   #25
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
So we surmise that I sometimes actually listen to you guys

Dropping the mic again
I would not say you listen but in this case you only posted maybe 22 times about lowering. So Id say you were beaten into submission here and finally gave in hahahahahahhaha. Soooma Posting Double Secret Probation Officer Police.

You will be picking up that proverbial mic yet again once you change your Dinan LOL.

Did you align the car after the drop? How many miles since the process? I have no doubts on the form, the question I have is the functionality piece. Is it more bouncy or less? How is the ride over deeper undulations and uneven pavement. Can you drive it in Sport Plus still or do you ever?
I never drive in sports plus before
It's certainly less bouncy, it's firmer stiffer and reminds me of the R8 V10 rose a year ago! Was that flat on cornering which I appreciate a lot, honestly did it for looks but got some handling improvement thrown in too, didn't expect that from mundane M550Xi springs!

With that said, as far as undulations are concerned it's slightly but noticeably for sure less comfy but not in an annoying way, call it a nice trade off? And for someone who has been having M5C envy as of late reading some reviews! I'll take it if it's jarring, but it's not! Had my old my in the car last night and no complaints!

I did get it aligned and shop charged me 150$ just for that besides the agreed upon 500$, not sure how fair that is because it was never brought up before we have agreed on 500$ , I'm thinking it should have been built in the 500$? I shouldn't bit**? Right?

I drove it more than 100 miles and I like it more 80% for the looks and 20% because of the other gains thrown in as a bonus in my mind!
Appreciate 1
Vic5519238.50
      02-28-2019, 10:02 AM   #26
Ever34
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

In terms of performance would these springs have any negative impact on the overall feel of the car. I'm asking because one (me) would assume that springs for a 550 would be " softer " than those for a performance car like the M5. Any input would be appreciated. I want to lower mine before my new wheels come in.
Appreciate 1
soooma1376.50
      02-28-2019, 10:12 AM   #27
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever34 View Post
In terms of performance would these springs have any negative impact on the overall feel of the car. I'm asking because one (me) would assume that springs for a 550 would be " softer " than those for a performance car like the M5. Any input would be appreciated. I want to lower mine before my new wheels come in.
I may need more time, and I was warned by shop not to expect improvement in the TRACKING department which I don't care about, but if to my total surprise car just handles better and flatter on cornering and up above all less bouncy!

Anybody wakes who can chime in? Because I don't want my mind to be playing tricks on me and my wishful thinking gets the best of me
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 10:31 AM   #28
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDYFIG View Post
Car looks great ! I'm so happy I was able to help you make the decision and most of all keep you away from F90 H&R springs !!!!
Hey as you see we got a few of questions about handling, cornering, bounciest and stiffness and since I am sure you had a lot more behind the steering time than my self with this set up, we would love to hear your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 12:40 PM   #29
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There you go!
That's wha tI am talking about Abd did suspect that M550i will not have the same drop cosmetically like the M5,

Another question r33_RGSport Ben, how come it's for M550i and feel that noticeably stiffer? I feel I just jumped into an M5C which I have heard about but never tasted the forbidden fruit
In general, there are 2 ways in making lowering spring.
1. H&R generally uses style where it have lower spring rate on the top few coils and high spring rate on the rest.
2. Eibach generally uses style where it have more gradual spring rate from lower to higher from top to the bottom.

With H&R style, you'll gain more drop with a compromise of stiffer ride most of the time. If your shock valving is not up to par or close to it, you will feel bounciness.
With Eibach style, you'll gain less drop but ride will be similar or close to stock.

Maybe Miko M will have better answer since he is in the spring manufacturing business.
Appreciate 2
soooma1376.50
Miko M6650.50
      02-28-2019, 12:42 PM   #30
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
There you go!

1. H&R generally uses style where it have lower spring rate on the top few coils and high spring rate on the rest.
2. Eibach generally uses style where it have more gradual spring rate from lower to higher from top to the bottom.

With H&R style, you'll gain more drop with a compromise of stiffer ride most of the time. If your shock valving is not up to par or close to it, you will feel bounciness.
With Eibach style, you'll gain less drop but ride will be similar or close to stock.

Maybe Miko M will have better answer since he is in the spring manufacturing business.
Either too technical or English being my second language is the issue? LOL
Wanna give it another go in English!
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12914.00
Miko M6650.50
      02-28-2019, 12:52 PM   #31
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Either too technical or English being my second language is the issue? LOL
Wanna give it another go in English!
Uh, Miko M English also a second language.
Same as mine, lol.

Maybe Vic55 can translate it. ::throwing the mic to Vic::
Appreciate 1
Miko M6650.50
      02-28-2019, 01:07 PM   #32
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Same as mine, lol.

vic catches mic and sets it on fire

Burn Soooma burn
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12914.00
soooma1376.50
      02-28-2019, 01:57 PM   #33
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Quote:
Same as mine, lol.

vic catches mic and sets it on fire

Burn Soooma burn
soooma picks up the Mic thrown at him by Vic,
You wish
LOL
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 02:14 PM   #34
pjdizzle94
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 and others

M550i springs are definitely solid. I loved mine!

IG thatcarguypj
Appreciate 1
soooma1376.50
      02-28-2019, 02:29 PM   #35
Ever34
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjdizzle94 View Post
M550i springs are definitely solid. I loved mine!
So you did not feel like they were a compromise at all?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 04:39 PM   #36
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

Quote:
Quote:
There you go!

I really didn't feel much of a difference from stock to H&R Springs
I wanted to check the spring rate on both but never got to it
What RG is referring to is, multiple rate Springs( progressive rate ) vs single rate ( liner rate )
You can usually see on variable pitch and also inner diameter ( like tapered Springs )
It gets very tricky when you change the rate and, at what hight you are changing it.
Another thing when you shorten up the spring the Load is changing at preloaded hight off the car, there is a way compensating for that by changing the end coils or even the wire diameter.
I have a software that i can change the hight of a Spring but maintain the same rate of stock Springs, usually that requires changes to wire diameter or variable pitch.
Hope this didn't confuse anyone. Lol
soooma1376.50
M 4EVER191.00
r33_RGSport12914.00
      02-28-2019, 04:46 PM   #37
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
Quote:
Quote:
There you go!

What RG is referring to is, multiple rate Springs( progressive rate ) vs single rate ( liner rate )
You can usually see on variable pitch and also inner diameter ( like tapered Springs )
It gets very tricky when you change the rate and, at what hight you are changing it.
Another thing when you shorten up the spring the Load is changing at preloaded hight off the car, there is a way compensating for that by changing the end coils or even the wire diameter.
I have a software that i can change the hight of a Spring but maintain the same rate of stock Springs, usually that requires changes to wire diameter or variable pitch.
Miko Miko Miko
You the king man!
Wanna elaborate on handling? Stiffness? Cornering? Insulation and your overarching impression!

Thx
Appreciate 2
Miko M6650.50
M 4EVER191.00
      02-28-2019, 04:46 PM   #38
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep

Here is example of a multi Rate spring I made
It has veritable pitch and reduced end coils
Attached Images

soooma1376.50
M 4EVER191.00
r33_RGSport12914.00
      02-28-2019, 04:48 PM   #39
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Too scientific for my boorish layman's term LOL
Thanks
Have more to add?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 05:15 PM   #40
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There you go!

Miko Miko Miko
You the king man!
Wanna elaborate on handling? Stiffness? Cornering? Insulation and your overarching impression!

Thx
Thanks brother!

The drop on mine car was 7/8" front and only 3/8 on the back.
Which means very little changes are actually being done ( specially on the back )
It's literally cheep way to duplicate the Spring just making the F.L. shorter
That's why cornering and compression is almost the same.
Now with M550 Springs could be different because the Springs are shorter and you could potentially bottom out and hit the stops.
soooma1376.50
M 4EVER191.00
r33_RGSport12914.00
      02-28-2019, 05:18 PM   #41
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Too scientific for my boorish layman's term LOL
Thanks
Have more to add?
On our cars the Springs have open end coils
I make them to at work but most Springs are actually made close end end ground so they sit square. See picture
Attached Images

soooma1376.50
M 4EVER191.00
      02-28-2019, 05:19 PM   #42
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There you go!

Miko Miko Miko
You the king man!

Thx
Thanks brother!

Which means very little changes are actually being done ( specially on the back )
Now with M550 Springs could be different because the Springs are shorter and you could potentially bottom out and hit the stops.
Now you just stepped on sore toes
I think I tried to reproduce that taking a very deep slope at 60mph with 2 adults and 2 children and a semi full trunk, yet if it happened it was subtle and in the back only,

How bad is it to hit stoppers?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 05:32 PM   #43
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There you go!

Miko Miko Miko
You the king man!

Thx
Thanks brother!

I think I tried to reproduce that taking a very deep slope at 60mph with 2 adults and 2 children and a semi full trunk, yet if it happened it was subtle and in the back only,

Lol
I haven't done it. But with shorter springs like the one from M550 chances are much higher, specially full loaded car
soooma1376.50
M 4EVER191.00
      02-28-2019, 05:41 PM   #44
Ever34
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There you go!

Miko Miko Miko
You the king man!

Thx
Thanks brother!

This bad ))))))))
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
soooma1376.50