BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Software Update and CarPlay

03-07-2019, 09:45 AM   #1
Scotchtion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Vert, 2021 X5 M50i

Software Update and CarPlay

I just took my M5 in for its 1 year service. I thought for sure there would be an update to the software and the absolute FAIL that is the wireless CarPlay integration.

The dealer said there are no updates to anything. How can this be? After a full year of dealing with a randomly changing screens, constant disconnects, constant audio source changing every time a text is received, etc. they still haven't fixed it?

Wanted to check the forum and see if anyone knows something different on software updates. Ever since my dealer messed up the differential fluid change, I don't fully accept what they say as accurate.
Appreciate 1
soooma1376.50
      03-07-2019, 09:47 AM   #2
windtendo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
What iPhone are you using? I'm assuming the iOS is up to date? I have a XS and haven't experienced many of the issues you mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 09:55 AM   #3
Scotchtion
Private First Class
Rep

I also have an XS. The disconnects became less frequent when I moved from the X to the XS, but still happen, especially on longer drives.

From what I can tell, the issues are with the integration between the iDrive system and CarPlay. If you are fully in CarPlay, things work fine. If you are using the iDrive (say sat music) and something like a text shows up, having the system read the text to you will cause all sorts of issues. Biggest one for me is that the audio source will flip over to CarPlay. It is unable to return to the previous state, as would be expected when integrating two different systems in one UI.

There are many other integration glitches as well. All "known issues" according to BMW and nearly all are iPhone independent.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 10:11 AM   #4
JohnEnglish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black

BMW isn't alone with this. There tons of reports of disconnects with the XS and Audis.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 01:18 PM   #5
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
I miss Steve Jobs. Switch to Samsung?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 11:40 PM   #6
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotchtion View Post
I just took my M5 in for its 1 year service. I thought for sure there would be an update to the software and the absolute FAIL that is the wireless CarPlay integration.

The dealer said there are no updates to anything. How can this be? After a full year of dealing with a randomly changing screens, constant disconnects, constant audio source changing every time a text is received, etc. they still haven't fixed it?

Wanted to check the forum and see if anyone knows something different on software updates. Ever since my dealer messed up the differential fluid change, I don't fully accept what they say as accurate.
CarPlay is useless worthless and the most annoying software BMW has ever made! I almost had a couple of car accidents because of it with my iPhone XS Max, and I just deleted my iPhone and reconnected using BMW usual old free mundane software which is perfection! A
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 11:48 PM   #7
JohnEnglish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
CarPlay is useless worthless and the most annoying software BMW has ever made! I almost had a couple of car accidents because of it with my iPhone XS Max, and I just deleted my iPhone and reconnected using BMW usual old free mundane software which is perfection! A
CarPlay is made by Apple. I really like it and the wireless implementation is so much better than the wired version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
Now now, let's not say things that we can't take back.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 11:51 PM   #8
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotchtion View Post

Quote:
Now now, let's not say things that we can't take back.
Love my iPhone and wouldn't use the new Samsung Note X if offered to me for free l! But CarPlay sucks, would disconnect and connect so many times within a few minutes while on a phone call
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 01:10 AM   #9
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

I haven't really had any issues with CarPlay although the functionality could be better, especially regarding email.

In fact I find the implementation sort of awkward but as far as the intended result, mine works.

iPhone XS
      03-08-2019, 03:26 AM   #10
MWcoupe
24k GOLD
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M4

CarPlay was disconnecting very frequent before the iPhone update came out. I was very frustrated myself. Ever since the new iPhone software came out it's been bread and butter
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 11:45 AM   #11
kimballt
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition Black

Wireless CarPlay

I was having the same issue with iPhone X and Xs Plus and my 2019 M5 Competition, frequent disconnections to the point where I quit using CarPlay. No help from BMW or Apple. Out of frustration, I decided to Reset All Settings on my phone (go to Settings/General/Reset/Reset all Settings) After the reset my problems disappeared and my phone has worked perfectly for three months. The downside is that after the reset you will have to re-enter many of your passwords; however, there is no loss of data. Hope this works for you. I was really angry about the disconnections and lack of response from BMW, but now it works as intended, but the system is very convenient now.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 12:22 PM   #12
///M ARMY
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90

that's crazy. i haven't had this issue yet with my iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 01:14 PM   #13
southbay
Rep
Drives: E63s Wagon

All good here. 2019 M5C. iPhone x
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 01:26 PM   #14
e90alpinem3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M ARMY View Post
that's crazy. i haven't had this issue yet with my iPhone.
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 01:47 PM   #15
norbtx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5

CarPlay isn’t the greatest, but I like using waze so I use it. But the implementation sucks. Like when playing a playlist, why can’t I see the entire list view? Silly. It’s also nice to have the giant screen for nav, and using the idrive knob for zoom. So I switch between cosplay and idrive.
      03-13-2019, 11:18 AM   #16
Scotchtion
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimballt View Post
I was having the same issue with iPhone X and Xs Plus and my 2019 M5 Competition, frequent disconnections to the point where I quit using CarPlay. No help from BMW or Apple. Out of frustration, I decided to Reset All Settings on my phone (go to Settings/General/Reset/Reset all Settings) After the reset my problems disappeared and my phone has worked perfectly for three months. The downside is that after the reset you will have to re-enter many of your passwords; however, there is no loss of data. Hope this works for you. I was really angry about the disconnections and lack of response from BMW, but now it works as intended, but the system is very convenient now.
With all those disconnects, was it the entire system disconnecting (happens about once a day for me) or is it things like music streaming that will cut out for a few seconds (I get that constantly if using Apple Music - better if using Spotify)?

Thanks for the reset tip. Hate to have to go through all that, but the system is so frustrating. Especially when it randomly decides to flip over to the CarPlay screen when you are not using it or changes your audio source every time a text comes in.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 12:45 PM   #17
yvnrg1981
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
YUP, My wife has the X I have the note9 everything works with mine, hers all messed up.
Appreciate 1
themnmd1691.00