BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 vs...    If that's not a ROASTED Z06, what is?

02-04-2019, 07:31 PM   #1
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

If that's not a ROASTED Z06, what is?

Appreciate 1
vtknight966.50
      02-04-2019, 07:41 PM   #2
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

calm down, it's a manual and he was apparently making lunch before taking off.

m5 only trapped 127, i trapped 124 in my Z just yesterday using no LC, and in tour mode.
Appreciate 1
soooma1373.00
      02-04-2019, 07:45 PM   #3
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post

m5 only trapped 127, i trapped 124 in my Z just yesterday using no LC, and in tour mode.
Quote:

LOL
Winning is winning talk aside
Isn't that Z06 a full blown JUST sports American muscle car?

You should've said instead
I wonder what Z06 would have done with AWD drivetrain? I'm thinking low 10's and 0-60 2.6? And trap maybe 130+

Thanks for chiming
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 07:52 PM   #4
Ever34
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:

Roasted is roasted
Appreciate 2
soooma1373.00
      02-04-2019, 10:41 PM   #5
vtknight
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Competition

Quote:

This would be my car - I trapped 127.5 that hot summer day and 129.5 in the fall (running 10.99 best that day and 10.93 in the fall with a 1.7x 60' on the crap Pirellis) - I also raced a Demon that day and beat him (pump gas PCM) - and was between 1/2 and a full tenth slower than a 991.2 Porsche Turbo...

And I can tell you the C7Z driver was in fact new thus the RT - but as a C7Z owner myself - I can tell you that stock C7Z's average 125-128 MPH depending on DA with aero still on - and in the heat when this was taken - 123-126 MPH as the tiny 1.74 high revving roots blower is a heat soak machine - coupled with the terrible engine bay circulation (that the new ZR1 tried to fix with the open/exposed 2.65L blower, large front open ducts and intercooler at each corner).

I love my C7Z...now that it is properly modified. As a stock car it was a problem. No the angled bricks for cylinders 7&8 and taller lid in the 2017's was not enough. I am not guessing this as the same LT4 in the ZL1 required eleven (11) additional coolers to run without issue (and it worked as per MT who beat on the car for the weekend and had zero issues - ZR1 has 13 coolers). GM doesn't spend money for nothing. I tried all the cooling when I was bolt on - GM secondary rad (another hint they knew there was a problem), larger primary rad, billet 160 thermostat, Dewitt intercooler and oil cooler...etc...and they worked. Until the engine bays poor air circulation over powered the cooling and I heat soaked again.

Again...great car. Love it now - but I had to fix GM's mistakes and it cost me.
Appreciate 2
soooma1373.00
MCOMP198.00
      02-06-2019, 06:07 PM   #6
Dethsupp0rt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Now let's see a road course.
Appreciate 1
soooma1373.00
      02-06-2019, 07:35 PM   #7
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post
Now let's see a road course.
With the above described heat soak issues - it would be closer tha you think - especially if they were equally shoed. C7Z has the potential to be a world beater - once the heatsoak issues are addressed.
Appreciate 1
soooma1373.00
      02-06-2019, 07:54 PM   #8
Dethsupp0rt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtknight View Post
With the above described heat soak issues - it would be closer tha you think - especially if they were equally shoed. C7Z has the potential to be a world beater - once the heatsoak issues are addressed.
The heatsoak issues are limited to the automatic, for the most part. People track the 7MT all day long with no issues.

Besides, I was being contrary just to prove a point. They're two completely different cars with completely different purposes, and an experienced driver would get into the 10s with an A8 Z06 anyway.

Taking nothing away from the M5 (I'd buy one over a Z06 in a heartbeat), but this video only shows how easy it is to get a good time out of the M5, and how an inexperienced driver would fare in a Z06.
Appreciate 1
soooma1373.00
      02-06-2019, 09:27 PM   #9
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post
The heatsoak issues are limited to the automatic, for the most part. People track the 7MT all day long with no issues.

Besides, I was being contrary just to prove a point. They're two completely different cars with completely different purposes, and an experienced driver would get into the 10s with an A8 Z06 anyway.

Taking nothing away from the M5 (I'd buy one over a Z06 in a heartbeat), but this video only shows how easy it is to get a good time out of the M5, and how an inexperienced driver would fare in a Z06.
There are so many inaccuracies to the C7Z situation. You are perpetuating another one - that it is only the autos that suffer this issue. Yes - the autos are worse. You cannot stick the secondary GM (hint hint) rad that they made knowing they had issues. I see you drive a ZL1 - a great car - also an LT4. If the issue was resolved with the angled bricks for cylinders 7&8 and the taller lid - or it was "only" an auto issue. Why did GM spring for the additional eleven (11) - coolers in your car? Were they being nice? They felt like adding the extra gear? Spending money is something they enjoy doing? They like the Camaro over their flagship Corvette?

As to the 10 second pass. Yes. The C7Z is definitely capable of a 10 second pass - either with awesome DA and stock tires that you are willing to fry in a proper burn out in order to get the proper heat into them as PSC2's are literally the worst drag and roll race tire on this planet - and or you put a drag tire on them. I ran a 10.93 with the crap tires I got stuck with (Pirelli Pzeros). Had I the MPS4's - I would have run 10.8's - and all with a better MPH than most stock C7Z's get - 129.5 MPH.

The only showing of the drivers inexperience is the reaction time (RT). ET doesn't start until he moves. I love my C7Z - but it had some serious issues only modding could take care of. And I haven't even mentioned the terrible aero the car comes with. The video does show how easy it is to get a good time out of the M5 CP. They are two completely different cars. I would be very happy in my chances against a stock C7Z - same day, same track - 8.5/10 times.
Appreciate 1
soooma1373.00