BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    WiFi turned itself on now Bluetooth doesn't work?

08-16-2023, 08:53 AM   #1
omgmike
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M5C

WiFi turned itself on now Bluetooth doesn't work?

About a week ago I started noticing my iDrive display would say "WiFi Activated" when I'd start the car. Didn't think anything of it until a few days later when I went to use a CarPlay feature and discovered my iPhone wasn't sync'd anymore. Went into the menu and saw Bluetooth was disabled while WiFi was enabled (note: I did not do this, the car did it by itself). Tried to disable WiFi but while iDrive recognized my input, the box wouldn't uncheck. Same when I tried to re-enable Bluetooth. After multiple attempts, finally got WiFi unchecked and Bluetooth checked.

Now my phone won't sync, so I deleted it from iDrive and when I went to add it as a new phone, now my phone doesn't see the car Bluetooth. Tried rebooting my phone, no change. I know it's not my phone, it picks up other Bluetooth networks fine and syncs fine with my AirPods.

Has anyone run into this before? If so, were you able to fix it? It's driving me nuts not having CarPlay available.

EDIT/UPDATE: apparently now Bluetooth won't enable at all from the settings menu in iDrive. Or at least, the box won't "check" itself after I press it to activate Bluetooth, which is odd, because even with it showing as disabled, when I go to add a new mobile device iDrive acts as if Bluetooth is enabled and says it's broadcasting the ID for the BLAN and to look for it on my mobile device. So it's either a software bug in iDrive or the Bluetooth radio itself has gone bad.

Last edited by omgmike; 08-17-2023 at 08:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 11:03 AM   #2
omgmike
Lieutenant
Rep

Turns out it was an easy fix, just had to reboot the iDrive system (not a full reset, just holding down the radio power knob for 15-20 seconds until the display goes blank and then it reboots itself)!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 03:40 AM   #3
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgmike View Post
About a week ago I started noticing my iDrive display would say "WiFi Activated" when I'd start the car. Didn't think anything of it until a few days later when I went to use a CarPlay feature and discovered my iPhone wasn't sync'd anymore. Went into the menu and saw Bluetooth was disabled while WiFi was enabled (note: I did not do this, the car did it by itself). Tried to disable WiFi but while iDrive recognized my input, the box wouldn't uncheck. Same when I tried to re-enable Bluetooth. After multiple attempts, finally got WiFi unchecked and Bluetooth checked.

Now my phone won't sync, so I deleted it from iDrive and when I went to add it as a new phone, now my phone doesn't see the car Bluetooth. Tried rebooting my phone, no change. I know it's not my phone, it picks up other Bluetooth networks fine and syncs fine with my AirPods.

Has anyone run into this before? If so, were you able to fix it? It's driving me nuts not having CarPlay available.

EDIT/UPDATE: apparently now Bluetooth won't enable at all from the settings menu in iDrive. Or at least, the box won't "check" itself after I press it to activate Bluetooth, which is odd, because even with it showing as disabled, when I go to add a new mobile device iDrive acts as if Bluetooth is enabled and says it's broadcasting the ID for the BLAN and to look for it on my mobile device. So it's either a software bug in iDrive or the Bluetooth radio itself has gone bad.
Quote:
Turns out it was an easy fix, just had to reboot the iDrive system (not a full reset, just holding down the radio power knob for 15-20 seconds until the display goes blank and then it reboots itself)!
Yeah also keep in mind car play and android auto require both bt and wifi connection anyway lol
Appreciate 1
omgmike359.00
      08-18-2023, 05:47 AM   #4
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

What I'd like to know is why there is such a long delay when skipping tracks on Spotify. My Honda is wired Carplay, instant change. The M5 takes about two seconds between skips before the music starts playing.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 07:47 PM   #5
omgmike
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdogray View Post
What I'd like to know is why there is such a long delay when skipping tracks on Spotify. My Honda is wired Carplay, instant change. The M5 takes about two seconds between skips before the music starts playing.
That is the difference between a hardwired connection and a wireless connection. Hardwired will always be superior to wireless, regardless of the software and hardware involved.
Appreciate 1
nerdogray1301.50
      08-23-2023, 10:43 PM   #6
Jakerx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdogray View Post
Quote:
That is the difference between a hardwired connection and a wireless connection. Hardwired will always be superior to wireless, regardless of the software and hardware involved.
I don't use Spotify but I use Apple Music through wireless Apple CarPlay. Tracks change instantaneously for me.
Appreciate 1
nerdogray1301.50