BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board    Taking a Trip to New Orleans

01-30-2022, 08:05 AM   #23
nismosao
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Toyota Tacoma, '21 M2C

I live just outside of New Orleans but travel through for work everyday and most days have work in New Orleans as well. With that said, I haven’t been to NO outside of work since Covid started, and I won’t until the city puts some emphasis on crime. It has gotten horrible here, with shootings happening in broad daylight on interstates and in the “better” areas. It’s gotten so bad that I don’t really want to travel through anymore.

The city has completely changed. The mayor doesn’t care either. It sucks because I really miss the great times I had in the city. But no way will I put myself in those situations unless I have to anymore.

If I were you, I’d pick somewhere else right now. If you do come, go do a swamp tour at Dr. Wagners Honey Island Swamp Tours. Tell them Scott sent you.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 09:54 AM   #24
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I have been going to NO for 25 years... all I can say is that it is no longer what it once was.
I have to agree. The French Quarter was just disappointing and underwhelming. Dirty, smelly, and very unappealing.

My advice, WW2 museum and the Garden District. Everything else is, literally, just a tourist trap.

And, do keep your wits about you.
Appreciate 2
      01-31-2022, 12:14 PM   #25
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

^^ This.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 12:41 PM   #26
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

We went in like 2018 when we were traveling in our RV to the west coast. Now keep in mind we stayed outside the city in some park as we were in the RV. I actually recall the park being pretty nice, everything outside the park though…. just nasty and dirty. We had one really good meal at some place outside of the normal touristy areas I think. Everything else we ate was alright or not very good. Probably tourist traps. We tried to go to cafe du monde but refused to wait in the crazy ass line they had. Wen’t to some knock off place around the corner, pretty good, sorry but no fried dough with powdered sugar would be good enough to justify the line for me. Anyways we were just not really impressed. Parking was also super expensive I recall and the roads…. forget about it! After that trip I refused to drive through LA anymore.

Obviously we did 0 research before going so maybe we did it wrong considering how many people seem to love it. I have no desire to go back and try again though.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2022, 01:17 PM   #27
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
I have to agree. The French Quarter was just disappointing and underwhelming. Dirty, smelly, and very unappealing.

My advice, WW2 museum and the Garden District. Everything else is, literally, just a tourist trap.

And, do keep your wits about you.
french quarter / bourbon street is all about perspective and goals. if you're going with you sweetheart for a romantic getaway, then avoid it for the most part, especially at night. taking your family? then those same rules apply.

but...going with a crew...regardless of age...to party your face off? well, then it's exactly where you want to be. so many options to just bounce around between bars and restaurants to find the vibe, food, and/or music that you want at any point in time. we've never NOT had a great time when that's what we set out to do whether that was in 1991 (my first trip there @ 22 years old) or 2019 (my last trip there at 50).

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 05:27 AM   #28
Th3Walrus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC Alpine White/Sahkir

Came here to 2nd the recommendation for GW Fins. The lobster dumplings.
Appreciate 0