BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Bowers & Wilkins Question

02-01-2022, 03:36 AM   #23
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Audi R8, 2023 Audi S8

B&W is a massive disappointment. No time alignment available, which means no soundstage. Speakers are out of phase at the driver seat. The listening position is to sit in center back seat at lean forward so your head is in between the front seat headrests. That's the only way to get a center image. Midrange are low in the door, and midbass are below the seats. These are terrible locations. They pull the perceived stage below the dash. There is not much output from the B&W until the volume is turned up to about 80% or more. Distortion is audible around 90% volume with no EQ. If any EQ are boosted, it distorts sooner. The DSP functions are just gimmicky reverb effects and nothing more. B&W has about zero understanding of car audio. They were selected because of the logo badges for brand recognition.
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2022, 04:58 AM   #24
m_fife
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterFUSE View Post
B&W is a massive disappointment. No time alignment available, which means no soundstage. Speakers are out of phase at the driver seat. The listening position is to sit in center back seat at lean forward so your head is in between the front seat headrests. That's the only way to get a center image. Midrange are low in the door, and midbass are below the seats. These are terrible locations. They pull the perceived stage below the dash. There is not much output from the B&W until the volume is turned up to about 80% or more. Distortion is audible around 90% volume with no EQ. If any EQ are boosted, it distorts sooner. The DSP functions are just gimmicky reverb effects and nothing more. B&W has about zero understanding of car audio. They were selected because of the logo badges for brand recognition.
What's the question?
      02-01-2022, 08:10 AM   #25
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Did there need to be a question? Pretty sure OP had that covered with the first post.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2022, 07:06 AM   #26
Moserkm
Moserkm
Rep
Drives: ‘22 BMW X7, '22 M5C, '21 Ram

My M5C order just went in yesterday and the dealer said the B&W is not available. Guess I’m going to have to do without. I hope it doesn’t turn into a regret because I had a deposit down on the first allocation of a 2023 and that might have given me a better shot at getting it. I heard the difference between the two last week and there is quite a difference. Dealer also said I have about a month ish to change things and it’s possible it becomes available. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 08:31 AM   #27
NCDD
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

B&W

Does anyone know if I can upgrade my stereo from base HK to BW on my 2022 M5?
Appreciate 0