BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Cosmetic Modifications    Aftermarket Steering Wheel Options

03-31-2023, 08:40 AM   #1
jm490
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21' F90 M5c

Aftermarket Steering Wheel Options

So I've done quite a bit of research on the available options for the F90 steering wheel. The problem I keep running into is the DAP package working on any aftermarket option. I dont really care about the heating so much but I would like to make sure I can retain my driver assistant pro functions if I do upgrade my steering wheel. Unfortunately the M-Performance option does NOT allow for the functions to work and therefore I cant use that even though I would prefer the look and style of the Mperf option so kind of bummed by that.

The only options I know of that work to retain Driver assist and heating are from Aza Auto Wheel.

Does anyone know of any other options besides using Aza??

Also if you have a wheel from Aza can you tell me your experience with them and if you would recommend their products?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 09:15 AM   #2
NoMods
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5

Garage List
2022 M5  [10.00]
There is Carismo, they're in NY, and there's a decent review from What's your Forte on YouTube, but I have no personal experience with them.

https://www.instagram.com/carismo_design/?hl=en
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 10:37 AM   #3
Mike780
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 bmw m5

Garage List
2018 Jeep Trackhawk  [0.00]
2019 BMW M5  [0.00]
That’s mine but it doesn't have the heated steering wheel
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 10:39 AM   #4
jm490
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike780 View Post
That’s mine but it doesn't have the heated steering wheel
This doesn’t have the driver assist pro package lights and functions that’s what I’m trying to retain so this doesn’t work for me
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 02:25 PM   #5
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm490 View Post
So I've done quite a bit of research on the available options for the F90 steering wheel. The problem I keep running into is the DAP package working on any aftermarket option. I dont really care about the heating so much but I would like to make sure I can retain my driver assistant pro functions if I do upgrade my steering wheel. Unfortunately the M-Performance option does NOT allow for the functions to work and therefore I cant use that even though I would prefer the look and style of the Mperf option so kind of bummed by that.

The only options I know of that work to retain Driver assist and heating are from Aza Auto Wheel.

Also if you have a wheel from Aza can you tell me your experience with them and if you would recommend their products?
As far as I know, AZA is the only one. Another forum member recommended their steering wheels to me after I saw his and asked him what he was using. I just wanted it entirely alcantara; the wheel itself and the trim, with no stripe. I reached out to them and they were kind, knowledgeable, and very punctual with their responses.

They’re not cheap, but quality seems to be fantastic. Changing out the steering wheel is my next project for the car.

Sorry this wasn’t particularly useful; I know you wanted to know if there were others.
      03-31-2023, 02:38 PM   #6
jm490
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
As far as I know, AZA is the only one. Another forum member recommended their steering wheels to me after I saw his and asked him what he was using. I just wanted it entirely alcantara; the wheel itself and the trim, with no stripe. I reached out to them and they were kind, knowledgeable, and very punctual with their responses.

They’re not cheap, but quality seems to be fantastic. Changing out the steering wheel is the next project for my car.

Awesome thanks for the insight on them. I know they're not cheap but the steering wheel is so important quality wise as its what you are touching 100% of the time in the car so to me it is most important. I do believe their quality is top notch from pictures and other reviews I have seen but so far this forum has not steered me wrong (pun intended) so If I can get someone here to vouch for them I will likely order one soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 02:43 PM   #7
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Awesome thanks for the insight on them. I know they're not cheap but the steering wheel is so important quality wise as its what you are touching 100% of the time in the car so to me it is most important. I do believe their quality is top notch from pictures and other reviews I have seen but so far this forum has not steered me wrong (pun intended) so If I can get someone here to vouch for them I will likely order one soon.
You’re welcome!

Agree 100% about quality for such a high touch surface. Speaking of high touch, I asked him if the alcantara help up well on such a high touch surface. He stated that with a little maintenance, it was okay.

He was so helpful to me, I’m sure he wouldn’t mind if I tagged him here. The other user I mentioned is greentrbo95gst. It was seeing his that makes me want exactly what he had.
      03-31-2023, 02:47 PM   #8
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Here is how I saw his if you want to see what the full alcantara looks like installed.
      03-31-2023, 02:48 PM   #9
jm490
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
Here is how I saw his if you want to see what the full alcantara looks like installed.
Oh yes I remember this thread. Awesome that looks great
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2023, 04:22 PM   #10
dcohen13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

My friend owns Carbontastic. I have used his wheels on all my previous vehicles. He only uses OEM cores. Would you like me to ask him for a forum discount? The entire wheel is customizable, from leather, to suede, to carbon fiber, to full suede, to full carbon, shift lights, stitching color, everything.

https://www.realcarbontastic.com/

M5 Specific:

https://www.realcarbontastic.com/pro...paddle-shifted

Happy Friday!
Appreciate 2
      03-31-2023, 06:26 PM   #11
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcohen13 View Post
My friend owns Carbontastic. I have used his wheels on all my previous vehicles. He only uses OEM cores. Would you like me to ask him for a forum discount? The entire wheel is customizable, from leather, to suede, to carbon fiber, to full suede, to full carbon, shift lights, stitching color, everything.

M5 Specific:

Happy Friday!
I’m personally not a fan of CF steering wheels generally, but they have some stunning ones! I could see these perfectly at home in an M5.
      03-31-2023, 11:22 PM   #12
CrashCade
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M5 Comp,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcohen13 View Post

M5 Specific:

Happy Friday!
Unfortunately these do not retain heat.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 05:57 PM   #13
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:

You can always just get the cover for it of you just want the alcantara/fiber look https://www.shopbmwusa.com/product/1...BER-HIGH-GLOSS
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 06:36 PM   #14
jm490
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
You can always just get the cover for it of you just want the alcantara/fiber look https://www.shopbmwusa.com/product/1...BER-HIGH-GLOSS
But this cover is just for the middle part of the steering wheel around the airbag right? It’s not for the actual wheel which is what I want to upgrade mainly?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 06:42 PM   #15
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
But this cover is just for the middle part of the steering wheel around the airbag right? It’s not for the actual wheel which is what I want to upgrade mainly?
Ah that mightve been my misunderstanding lol. Yeah it's just for the face of the wheel not the part you hold, I thought that was what you were looking to change lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 06:43 PM   #16
jm490
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
Ah that mightve been my misunderstanding lol. Yeah it's just for the face of the wheel not the part you hold, I thought that was what you were looking to change lol.
Lol yeah I want to change the whole wheel I want the Mperformance style like the link you posted but one that works with DAP compatibility
Appreciate 0