BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Display Key

11-09-2021, 05:53 PM   #1
baymax
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

Question Display Key

Hello everyone,I just sold my AMG and bought a 2019 m5 competition. I saw there is a display key that from BMW officials. I contacted my local dealer and they said that BMW NA is no longer selling that. I ask my hometown dealership back in China. They are be able to find my VIN in their system and they can make one. The only thing is, there is no way that I can proof my ownership to them. They do not take us registrations or title or driver licenses. Is there any way I can still get a display key now at US? Thank you guys.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 07:27 PM   #2
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by baymax View Post
Hello everyone,I just sold my AMG and bought a 2019 m5 competition. I saw there is a display key that from BMW officials. I contacted my local dealer and they said that BMW NA is no longer selling that. I ask my hometown dealership back in China. They are be able to find my VIN in their system and they can make one. The only thing is, there is no way that I can proof my ownership to them. They do not take us registrations or title or driver licenses. Is there any way I can still get a display key now at US? Thank you guys.
You can try canada... but thing with display key, is you need a bunch of other things to retrofit jt, it's not as simple as getting the key and it works.
Appreciate 1
baymax1.50
      11-09-2021, 07:45 PM   #3
baymax
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
Quote:
You can try canada... but thing with display key, is you need a bunch of other things to retrofit jt, it's not as simple as getting the key and it works.
What are the additional steps? I thought is programmed and paired by bmw officials, then it would be a "plug and play"
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 08:04 PM   #4
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
What are the additional steps? I thought is programmed and paired by bmw officials, then it would be a "plug and play"
I'm not entirely sure, people have said on here before it costs well over 1k USD to retrofit, I'm guessing if you don't want full functionality just pairing it might work.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 10:15 PM   #5
BlueString
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i, 2021 F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
I'm not entirely sure, people have said on here before it costs well over 1k USD to retrofit, I'm guessing if you don't want full functionality just pairing it might work.
I too inquired about this last year when I ordered my M5 and did extensive research here. Since the LCI comes with digital key I didn't pursue the display key route any further. The display key was never offered here in the US for the M5 for whatever reason. Seems like we here in the states always lose out on the options available in other regions. I do recall the G30 5 series did offer the display key as an option pre-LCI but no longer anymore here in the states. Also, the 7 series here in the US always offered it as an option (Display key is part of the remote parking option) so I can't imagine why it wouldn't work with the M5. I would try and reach out to a reputable coder here and ask if that can be coded with the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 12:39 AM   #6
Evil Derboy
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Display key is rubbish anyway to be honest. The myBMW app makes it totally redundant.
Appreciate 2
      11-12-2021, 11:16 PM   #7
TimmyBHGM5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

The display key is totally useless, just use the MyBMW app.
Appreciate 2
      11-12-2021, 11:52 PM   #8
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
I had the display key in my G30 540i and other than the first few months of playing around with remote parking, and swiping to see what doors or windows are open, the novelty wore off quick. For the rest of my ownership you know what I used the display key for? Comfort access in my pocket.

It's truly a waste and not worth retrofitting as others have said, you can use the app to do the same things. I don't miss it in my M5C

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 01:35 PM   #9
bimmerbeast7
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M5C - '04 m3 manual coupe

your iphone is your display key
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 03:56 PM   #10
Maxlude
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D_SE_Man, F90_M5C

Never used mine. It's massive and limited functions.
Doesn't even have remote parking in UK.
The phone app has same functionality plus additional.
Appreciate 0