BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    RaceChip GTS Black vs jb4

02-17-2020, 08:45 PM   #1
kani179
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp

RaceChip GTS Black vs jb4

What's up guys. Some input on the RaceChip compared to the jb4.

Thanks!
      02-17-2020, 09:01 PM   #2
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

wrong section. but i'm going thru this same debate with myself right now. so far leainng towards RC GTS. Seems overall more people are happy, and less complicated than the jb4.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12805.00
      02-17-2020, 09:09 PM   #3
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
wrong section. but i'm going thru this same debate with myself right now. so far leainng towards RC GTS. Seems overall more people are happy, and less complicated than the jb4.
JB4 map 1 isn't complicated. Nor is map 2. They are the definition of plug'n'play.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 10:06 PM   #4
kani179
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I herd all good things about the jb4. Haven't herd or read any feed back about the RaceChip.
      02-17-2020, 10:12 PM   #5
amg55driver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

I simply went with Racechip GTS because the install looks like 5 min or less job,
versus JB4 might take 30~45min.

so much less headache to dealer visits, and im pretty sure the hp difference is minimal.
Appreciate 1
subzero05115.50
      02-17-2020, 10:26 PM   #6
kani179
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the response fellas !!
      02-17-2020, 10:31 PM   #7
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg55driver View Post
I simply went with Racechip GTS because the install looks like 5 min or less job,

so much less headache to dealer visits, and im pretty sure the hp difference is minimal.
C'mon—that's not an informed answer... that's a one-sided & uniformed opinion at best. For example, can you elaborate as to why the RC install is 5 mins and the JB isn't? At minimum, they both require 2 TMAP connections--both work with that minimum setup requirement so the install is identical. Right?

I'm glad you're "sure" the HP difference is minimal--that should help inform folks interested in that difference... again, c'mon.

And, last but not least, why on earth do you think the dealership visits are any different?

You're welcome to your preference and your experience with the RaceChip is valuable... but your opinions on the JB4 are empty, unfounded and incorrect.

Last edited by limeypride; 02-17-2020 at 10:52 PM..
Appreciate 1
Nikolov238.50
      02-17-2020, 10:46 PM   #8
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kani179 View Post
I herd all good things about the jb4. Haven't herd or read any feed back about the RaceChip.
I've read some great reviews from folks that have the RaceChip on this forum. Most accolades fall in the bucket of "great power boost and plug'n'play install". If that's the goal then I'd label the RC as proven and a sound investment.

Quote:

The JB can do the plug'n'play, too, but its potential is neutered by that 'simplest' of its install/configurations. A few more connections and the native power of the engine is far better exploited... but those additional connections are certainly more complicated. The end result, however, is well worth it--the performance numbers are all over the Internet, mine included.

They're both great products--that's from firsthand experience with one for 7+ years with 10+ M-cars and numerous reviews from trusted sources/suppliers/friends on these forums with the other.

Last edited by limeypride; 02-17-2020 at 10:54 PM..
Appreciate 3
      02-18-2020, 12:25 AM   #9
kani179
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kani179 View Post
I've read some great reviews from folks that have the RaceChip on this forum. Most accolades fall in the bucket of "great power boost and plug'n'play install". If that's the goal then I'd label the RC as proven and a sound investment.

Quote:

The JB can do the plug'n'play, too, but its potential is neutered by that 'simplest' of its install/configurations. A few more connections and the native power of the engine is far betted exploited... but those additional connections are certainly more complicated. The end result, however, is well worth it--the performance numbers are all over the Internet, mine included.

They're both great products--that's from firsthand experience with one for 7+ years with 10+ M-cars and numerous reviews from trusted sources/suppliers/friends on these forums with the other.
Thanks for the info buddy !
      02-18-2020, 01:35 AM   #10
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

JB4 hands down. Just follow the instructions and map 1 can be installed 15 mins. The great thing about the JB4 is that you can expand and push until you're running low 10 second 1/4 miles and 2.5 0-60's, you can't do that with the racechip and everyone gets a taste for the power and ends up selling it for a JB4 or a flash tune. I've been running the JB4 in various platforms since my 335 in 2007 and BMS always provides great customer service and an awesome product. On top of those things it's also great for logging and learning about what your car is doing
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2020, 08:42 AM   #11
kani179
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDriverX View Post
JB4 hands down. Just follow the instructions and map 1 can be installed 15 mins. The great thing about the JB4 is that you can expand and push until you're running low 10 second 1/4 miles and 2.5 0-60's, you can't do that with the racechip and everyone gets a taste for the power and ends up selling it for a JB4 or a flash tune. I've been running the JB4 in various platforms since my 335 in 2007 and BMS always provides great customer service and an awesome product. On top of those things it's also great for logging and learning about what your car is doing
Got it. Thanks bro!

Just jb4 no other mods 1/4 in low 10s, that's impressive !!
      02-18-2020, 09:08 AM   #12
amg55driver
Private First Class
Rep

you sure sounded like a one-sided person who praise JB4, i could tell from other threads.

anyhow, JB4 requires you to take the engine cover and go for 4 sensors, and RC only 2 sensor by the intercoolers, which is visible without any removal of covers.

JB4 you have to fish thru firewall and plug it into OBD2 (if im not mistaking), none of that on RC, hence visiting dealership should be easier with RC , just take 4 clips off and leave everything in, versus JB4.

dont get me wrong, I had JB4 in my other high performance vehicles which I loved, but wish it was simple as RC..

Quote:
C'mon—that's not an informed answer... that's a one-sided & uniformed opinion at best. For example, can you elaborate as to why the RC install is 5 mins and the JB isn't? At minimum, they both require 2 TMAP connections--both work with that minimum setup requirement so the install is identical. Right?

I'm glad you're "sure" the HP difference is minimal--that should help inform folks interested in that difference... again, c'mon.

And, last but not least, why on earth do you think the dealership visits are any different?

You're welcome to your preference and your experience with the RaceChip is valuable... but your opinions on the JB4 are empty, unfounded and incorrect.
Appreciate 3
r33_RGSport12805.00
limeypride4418.50
Maverik2594133.00
      02-18-2020, 09:28 AM   #13
kani179
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
you sure sounded like a one-sided person who praise JB4, i could tell from other threads.

anyhow, JB4 requires you to take the engine cover and go for 4 sensors, and RC only 2 sensor by the intercoolers, which is visible without any removal of covers.

JB4 you have to fish thru firewall and plug it into OBD2 (if im not mistaking), none of that on RC, hence visiting dealership should be easier with RC , just take 4 clips off and leave everything in, versus JB4.

dont get me wrong, I had JB4 in my other high performance vehicles which I loved, but wish it was simple as RC..

Quote:

Thanks for the input buddy!

I got a guy that overlooks mods when I bring the car in for service so that's not really my concern. I am mainly interested in the performance and how the car runs with the jb4/RC.
      02-18-2020, 09:54 AM   #14
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:

There's a difference: I write about what I know of the JB4—and I'm clearly a fan—but I do not throw baseless assertions about its competition.

Their installation requirements are the same for the basic JB setup—you asserted otherwise and you still are. That's just not true.

If you'd like to push farther into the tuning potential, then yes—it's as we're both saying—more complex requiring 3 additional connections (2 x EWG and OBD II). But if you've had one, then surely you know the power gain potential with this setup far exceeds the RC?

I'm not trying to prolong a disagreement here but I do want to make sure the facts are straight.
Appreciate 1
Nikolov238.50
      02-18-2020, 10:31 AM   #15
amg55driver
Private First Class
Rep

100%.

The only reason i went with Racechip was the comfort of install/uninstall with ease. If you have a servant that will burn their hands and do all the install/uninstall for you, you will be more happier with JB4!! :-). Jokes aside, JB4 has better and more wider parameter of tuning, versus Racechip only has 7 maps to select without ability to modify..
Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50
      02-18-2020, 12:33 PM   #16
JBA87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5

You can run Map 1 (which is essentially the Race Chip equivalent) on the JB4 by just connecting the the two TMAP sensors. That's easy. Takes a few minutes. No fishing. No engine cover removal.

It's only the other maps and logging that require the additional steps.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2020, 01:35 PM   #17
ambletx
First Lieutenant
Rep

I thought about both, but in the end went with the RC. For me it boiled down to ease of use/install/price. I know that with the JB4 I could get more power out of the car, but in the end RC's map 7 (the same as JB4's map 1) was more than enough for me. I know myself, and I would probably never screw around with the JB4 enough to realize its full potential. I am very satisfied with the RC, and don't regret my decision. I guess in the end it all boils down to what you are trying to accomplish.
Appreciate 3
      02-18-2020, 02:42 PM   #18
GhostOne_322
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 G80 M3 CS (BSM/Red/Gold)

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Has anyone had any warranty issues with these tunes? Or is the thought that if you go with a tune, you're accepting the risk?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 02:46 PM   #19
kani179
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info fellas !
      02-18-2020, 02:51 PM   #20
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

I'm in a similar situation here deciding between the two. I really like the JB4 and all it has to offer, but I'm going with RC for now as it has a warranty. As someone who dealt with a popped f10 motor I rather not experience the extent of that financial burden again so going with a bolt-on warrantied solution is best for me. Granted their warranty is not full coverage cost wise if the motor pops, but 7,500 is good enough for me to accept the risk for the rest.

Now after warranty period is up and I decide to keep the car (so far I do) it will be time to get nuts. Tune stack, build motor maybe, etc...
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12805.00
      02-18-2020, 03:26 PM   #21
DannyA
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C8 RS6

I thought the warranty only covered a few European countries?
2016 F10 M5
2010 C6 RS6
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 03:26 PM   #22
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5 guy View Post
I'm in a similar situation here deciding between the two. I really like the JB4 and all it has to offer, but I'm going with RC for now as it has a warranty. As someone who dealt with a popped f10 motor I rather not experience the extent of that financial burden again so going with a bolt-on warrantied solution is best for me. Granted their warranty is not full coverage cost wise if the motor pops, but 7,500 is good enough for me to accept the risk for the rest.

Now after warranty period is up and I decide to keep the car (so far I do) it will be time to get nuts. Tune stack, build motor maybe, etc...
Good luck convincing RC is their fault if shit happens.
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0