BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Jb4 Burger tuning F90 meth injection.

02-03-2020, 11:11 AM   #1
f90_FTW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Jb4 Burger tuning F90 meth injection.

Hey old friends!

My car is in the shop for meth injection through Jb4 (burger) Has anybody added it yet. Would love to talk about how works. How to setup the maps.

What type of fuel works in conjunction. Meth water ratio?

Performance addition?

How it actually integrates with the jb4 connect kit

If anyone had any numbers as far as quarter mile and 0 to 60
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 06:01 PM   #2
Hockeytyme
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by f90_FTW View Post
Hey old friends!

My car is in the shop for meth injection through Jb4 (burger) Has anybody added it yet. Would love to talk about how works. How to setup the maps.

Performance addition?

It's not going to give you much in terms of improved times. It works with almost any fuel setup you have and most will suggest you stick to a 50/50 ratio.

The way it works if you are using a tune and the JB4 FSB to just control the meth is different than if you are using it with a JB4 and no tune.

Either way, it's really easy to turn on and off and the JB4 has some good safety features that work along with it.

The advantage of meth is partially to reduce IAT's but you won't see much there. It's biggest factor is to reduce the chance of early detonation which can ruin your motor. The combination of these two allows you to more safely increase timing and boost without the need of race gas. E30 becomes more viable for higher boost with meth than it does alone. It's still a bit sketchy to run it on high boost and 91 octane alone but you can do it to some extent.

The air becomes cooler which makes it denser and less air means you have room for more fuel.

When the water vaporizes it turns to steam and also acts as a cleaner to your cylinders and piston tops. This same steam acts as a steam engine and pushes down on the cylinder and creates more power. Not much though.

It's more of a fuel replacement and cheaper alternative to race gas in my opinion. I wouldn't expect big gains on the track compared to running straight MS109 or something similar.
IG: @hockeytyme All runs on street with no prep on 21 inch wheels and PS4S tires
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 07:09 PM   #3
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

There are a few guys running it on this forum. Main benefits are for those on lower grade fuels. Let's you get similar performance to those on race gas or octane boosters.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 07:15 PM   #4
f90_FTW
Private First Class
Rep

What's the highest boost Psi I should run with 50/50 meth and 91 gas.

And then what are you guys think for psi on 50/50 and ms109
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 11:42 PM   #5
gpdriver17
Lieutenant
Rep

I have the kit and usually run at least E30 with a 91 octane base so I can't really comment. Terry will work with you though. Probably start out with Map 1, get some logs and keep bumping up the boost as long as they look good. Not sure about others, but Map 2 is a sweet spot for me. Averages around 20psi and can do a 10.2 1/4 mile with that. You should have no problem doing that with 91 and meth.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 11:46 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Hey old friends!

Performance addition?

Burger Tuning direct would be the best to answer all these questions

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 11:54 AM   #7
f90_FTW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:
Hey old friends!

Performance addition?

Burger Tuning direct would be the best to answer all these questions
Yes, i've been talking to Terry. I now realize When I wrote this topic, I was not specific.

I know how methanol injection works. And I understand the benefits and understand the negatives regarding it.

What I wanted to talk about in this forum was regarding people who have it installed on the F90,

And how they've experimented with it and what worked for them. What maps, what mixtures, any other changes that might have been made in the JB4 settings. Any gains they may have realized or not.

maybe problems they have run into that I should keep an eye on. Just a sort of "things to know" regarding WMI in the f90 specifically.

I apologize for rushing my first thread.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 01:27 PM   #8
gpdriver17
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, i've been talking to Terry. I now realize When I wrote this topic, I was not specific.

I know how methanol injection works. And I understand the benefits and understand the negatives regarding it.

What I wanted to talk about in this forum was regarding people who have it installed on the F90,

And how they've experimented with it and what worked for them. What maps, what mixtures, any other changes that might have been made in the JB4 settings. Any gains they may have realized or not.

maybe problems they have run into that I should keep an eye on. Just a sort of "things to know" regarding WMI in the f90 specifically.

I apologize for rushing my first thread.
If you have easy access to E85, I would recommend just running E30 on Map 2. That worked well for me.

As far as negatives about the BMS kit. I noticed the left/right bank boost is not even, because you're replacing the tube that's there to equalized the pressure. Apparently this isn't a big deal because the F10's didn't even have that tube, but I'd still prefer it to be even. Also there's not any good way to mount the tank and motor. It's a PITA to get in where they show it and not way to truly secure it. I didn't notice any gains at all in terms of speed. If you don't have access to 93 or E85, its probably worth doing. If I had to do it again I'd pay up though and get a 2 gallon tank installed in the trunk.
2023 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 01:45 PM   #9
f90_FTW
Private First Class
Rep

The thing that really makes it worthwhile for me is that I normally (90% info the time) only run 91. And I'm always on map 1 because of that.

Now that I have the WMI Kit I can easily run map 2 or 3 or 8 with my regular fuel. And can easily be turned on and off.

Without the WMI kit, it's a real pain in the ass to use any other map other than 1.

Sometimes I want my car's Max performance by the push of a button, I feel like with the burger tuning solution (in Jb4) this is really the only way to get it.

Essentially I feel like I'm getting two different gas tanks. One with standard 91, and by the push of a button one that equates to a race gas that can run all of my higher boost maps.

The biggest value of the meth kit in my opinion is being able to use any of the JB4 maps at any time, without having to pre-meditate my gas settings.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2020, 02:46 PM   #10
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpdriver17 View Post
If you have easy access to E85, I would recommend just running E30 on Map 2. That worked well for me.

As far as negatives about the BMS kit. I noticed the left/right bank boost is not even, because you're replacing the tube that's there to equalized the pressure. Apparently this isn't a big deal because the F10's didn't even have that tube, but I'd still prefer it to be even. Also there's not any good way to mount the tank and motor. It's a PITA to get in where they show it and not way to truly secure it. I didn't notice any gains at all in terms of speed. If you don't have access to 93 or E85, its probably worth doing. If I had to do it again I'd pay up though and get a 2 gallon tank installed in the trunk.
Is the boost even with the OEM tube on there? Also when you say E30, how much E85 are you adding to 91oct?
Appreciate 0