BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery    How to find out how long a car has been sitting on a dealers lot

11-24-2019, 07:50 PM   #1
Joey.Donatelli
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5C

How to find out how long a car has been sitting on a dealers lot

I am trying to figure out how long a car has been sitting on the lot. I am currently negotiating on a 2019 and would really like to know how long the dealer has had the car.

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 08:05 PM   #2
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey.Donatelli View Post
I am trying to figure out how long a car has been sitting on the lot. I am currently negotiating on a 2019 and would really like to know how long the dealer has had the car...

Thanks for the help!
Usually it's off the build date (drivers side door frame after you open the door / inside of hood)... That will be your first clue... VIN also on some websites like carfax may show you that info as well... I want to say some websites like cars.com might, but don't quote me on the last one...

Truthfully, by this time of year, most dealers are begging to get rid of the '19's - not just BMW specific but all manufacturers... Almost being December, how long it's been there shouldn't be the question... It's how much longer do they want it sitting on the lot?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 08:58 PM   #3
Joey.Donatelli
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
Usually it's off the build date (drivers side door frame after you open the door / inside of hood)... That will be your first clue... VIN also on some websites like carfax may show you that info as well... I want to say some websites like cars.com might, but don't quote me on the last one...

Truthfully, by this time of year, most dealers are begging to get rid of the '19's - not just BMW specific but all manufacturers... Almost being December, how long it's been there shouldn't be the question... It's how much longer do they want it sitting on the lot?
So if the car was built in March 2019 how long did it take for it to be on the lot?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 09:29 PM   #4
BwatM5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90; 2020 G01; 2014 F31

I use CarGurus.com to get a good estimate. If you scroll down, under the "negotiation" section, it lists "days on CarGurus". This vs. the build date will give you a good estimate.

If the car was built in March, I would say that it has been in their inventory since April/May. Run the last-7 of the VIN into mdecoder.com to give you the exact build date. This will give you a good idea. Generally 30-45 days from the factory to the dealer.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-24-2019, 09:29 PM   #5
boredM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ford F-350 & Nardo F90

Id bet theyve had it since May if not before then
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 10:28 PM   #6
cream
Private
Rep
Drives: 19' BSM M5

I just took delivery of a '19 M5 in Vancouver, BC, Canada and after negotiating for nearly 2 weeks I paid $106,000 CAD before taxes which is the equivalent of $80k USD give or take. Was able to get quite a decent chunk off asking price since it was a cash deal.

It came with premium package (same as executive package), M frozen optics package (M sport exhaust, black kidney grilles, 706M wheels etc), ambient air package, driver's assistance package.

Dealer told me they were losing on the vehicle but I'm not sure if I believe that however that being said in almost every other province in the country and also our friends to the south the prices seem to be anywhere from 10-20%+ higher, I'm very curious WHY that is? Usually in my previous experience the US gets it cheaper than Canada so I found it strange with this vehicle.

It's worth noting that this is a pre-owned vehicle, the previous owner drove it for about 1500km/932miles before trading it in for a SUV (wife probably wasn't feeling the M5 since they have children) so I saved myself a decent chunk on the "drive off the lot" depreciation as well.

OP is the one you are looking at brand new or used and do you mind sharing how much the dealer is asking?

*EDIT: I priced out a new '19 online and it came out to about $135k CAD/$101k USD however on the BMW USA website with the exact same color/configuration it comes out to $113k USD/$150k CAD. There is a considerable price difference between the US/Canadian market.

Last edited by cream; 11-24-2019 at 11:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 10:46 PM   #7
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

So if the car was built in March 2019 how long did it take for it to be on the lot?
I'd tack on two months from build date... Its not like they build them and have them sitting around the factories...

If it's a new car, chances are it's been there since... The more expensive and the more out there colors (interior and exterior) tend to sit longer...
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 10:51 PM   #8
shoei
Banned
Rep

Pretty positive op is looking at a brand new car hence the - how long on lot and here is the build date so how long after to dealership? - type questions...

Sounds like you got a very decent deal - to the Canadian guy above so don't trip... Not familiar with some of your "packages" as either the names might be off or packages not available in the US... Regardless, it was originally 101/102k car base that's not even a year old... Enjoy it!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 11:17 PM   #9
cream
Private
Rep
Drives: 19' BSM M5

Quote:
Pretty positive op is looking at a brand new car hence the - how long on lot and here is the build date so how long after to dealership? - type questions...

Sounds like you got a very decent deal - to the Canadian guy above so don't trip... Not familiar with some of your "packages" as either the names might be off or packages not available in the US... Regardless, it was originally 101/102k car base that's not even a year old... Enjoy it!
Thanks I am definitely enjoying it and yes I think I did get a decent deal. The premium package ($6500 CAD) is the same as the executive package offered in the US I believe and the M frozen optics package ($4500 CAD) includes M sport exhaust with black tips, 706M wheels, M carbon engine cover, black kidney grilles.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 11:33 PM   #10
Joey.Donatelli
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I am looking for new.

The current deal I am looking at has an MSRP of 118000 and they have only come down to 108000. I know there is a lot more here and knowing how long the car has been sitting on the books is part of my negotiation tactics.

I am not going to accept anything under 12% off MSRP. According to CarGurus they have had the car for over 5 months. With end of year coming up I just have to wait them out till they make a deal.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 07:31 AM   #11
BwatM5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90; 2020 G01; 2014 F31

Quote:
I am looking for new.

The current deal I am looking at has an MSRP of 118000 and they have only come down to 108000. I know there is a lot more here and knowing how long the car has been sitting on the books is part of my negotiation tactics.

I am not going to accept anything under 12% off MSRP. According to CarGurus they have had the car for over 5 months. With end of year coming up I just have to wait them out till they make a deal.
So Dealer A has you at 10.9% off MSRP. I would just start emailing your nearest 5-8 Dealers, explaining that you're working on a deal with Dealer A that has you currently at 10.9% off and that you're more comfortable making a purchase at 15% off MSRP.

Another option is to go to True Car, and enter in your info. The dealers will all start calling, emailing, and texting you. Then you can just explain the above to them. My best approach is to always be honest and polite, but most importantly make sure that they know that you are ready to make a purchase if the deal is right. Being a car deal is a tuff job. They get all kinds of people that waste their time and are rude. Be that guy that makes their job easy.
Appreciate 0