BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 vs...    So what cars have challenged you?

11-01-2019, 12:16 PM   #67
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Up front, PTI (Pardon the Ignorance)

As a track master (you not me)... how apples to apples is a draggy (valid) vs a sanctioned track slip? Dont they have different measurements as one crosses the line? Does a draggy time yield an even faster car at the track if all other conditions are similar in regards to DA? Or is it vice a versa? Or just "it depends"

Thanks Jeremy.
Dragy and my NHRA track are extreme close in ET and MPH. Neither correct for DA. You run what ya run. The mph is an average over the last 66 feet instead of an absolute. If I run 174mph at Bristol on the slip, my peak mph on my calibrated driveshaft output will be closer to 177-178mph at the stripe since that is an absolute.
Ooooh, I think I recall you or someone else mentioning the average over the last 66 feet before but it slipped my aging brain. Do you know if Dragy uses the same method?

Dragy started recording DA recently so there's that. I don't believe the drag strips correct for DA either do they? It's always a talking point to help explain unusually good runs (like mine) but I don't think I've seen it factored in to the results beyond that.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 03:42 PM   #68
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Ooooh, I think I recall you or someone else mentioning the average over the last 66 feet before but it slipped my aging brain. Do you know if Dragy uses the same method?

Dragy started recording DA recently so there's that. I don't believe the drag strips correct for DA either do they? It's always a talking point to help explain unusually good runs (like mine) but I don't think I've seen it factored in to the results beyond that.
Most tracks do not correct for DA. I’ve been at a few small tracks that do fo business like a DynoJet, but it is very rare.

Dragy DA is calculated incorrectly. If you subtract the elevation from the calculated DA on their sheet it will be correct.
Appreciate 2
limeypride4418.50
vtknight966.50
      11-01-2019, 03:47 PM   #69
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

If Dragy shows a 4500ft DA and a 1000ft elevation. The actual DA will be 4500-1000 = 3500 True Density Altitude.
Appreciate 1
vtknight966.50
      11-01-2019, 09:49 PM   #70
vtknight
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeytyme View Post
I ran mine a couple of times. I don't have 1200 miles on it yet so I just wanted to get a baseline without breaking it. First time I ran it with no launch control I got a 11:23 with -45 slope. I then ran in the exact same spot and my slope this time says -1.69 so it's an unofficial run.

My 0-60 wasn't very good either with a 3.05 and DA was 2538

Only downside is I wont run it again until I have 1200 mile service and before then I'm getting all my parts put on. But, at least I have something to compare it to

What have you done to your car?
It's good to have something to compare to. My car is also bone stock and not changing from that lol. I have enjoyed fairly modified cars for some time and I am good to remain stock for a bit.

Quote:
Up front, PTI (Pardon the Ignorance)

As a track master (you not me)... how apples to apples is a draggy (valid) vs a sanctioned track slip? Dont they have different measurements as one crosses the line? Does a draggy time yield an even faster car at the track if all other conditions are similar in regards to DA? Or is it vice a versa? Or just "it depends"

Thanks Jeremy.
Although kind of you, I am no master - but I believe you are correct - Dragy should measure actual speed at the end of the calculated distance and the 1/4 is the interesting average of the last 66 feet - so in theory Dragy should read higher (unless we find out Dragy does the same thing to be consistent with tracks lol).

Quote:
When I had my RS7, a group of us got together at PBIR and tested them against the strip timer. Dragy was within 0.05 on ET and +/- 2mph on trap speed across 4 Dragys.
Interesting. Something to investigate. I have found Dragy is not as exact past the 1/4 mark. 1/2 mile events have still shown close to equipment times/MPH - but they seem to be less accurate - OR - timing equipment from the events are the issue.

Quote:
Thats pretty much apples to apples

Thanks Dean!!

I think the trap has to do with exact speed vs speed in a range or something like that. I think track measures finish line speed vs draggy.

But like I said, I'm not educated here.
Oh the modesty lol...I think you have more education on cars than most...and I believe you are correct.

Quote:
Yeah, trap speed is the final speed as you cross the 1/4 mile mark—not your top speed—at least, that's how I've always understood it. Presumably, Dragy measures the same based upon its calculation of the distance and the speed at that point.

Is that what you're saying; not sure I'm following you?

// edit: trap speed I just learned/refreshed my memory is an average of the last 66 feet of the track... thanks to OnFire below for the real info.
T is the man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Dragy and my NHRA track are extreme close in ET and MPH. Neither correct for DA. You run what ya run. The mph is an average over the last 66 feet instead of an absolute. If I run 174mph at Bristol on the slip, my peak mph on my calibrated driveshaft output will be closer to 177-178mph at the stripe since that is an absolute.
^What he said.
Appreciate 3
onfireX53616.50
limeypride4418.50
Vic5518961.00
      11-29-2019, 08:45 PM   #71
cream
Private
Rep
Drives: 19' BSM M5

Raced my friend's '17 GTR with 4.4L billet block, Shep tranny with straight cut gears and AMS Alpha 16x kit running E85. It made me sad, his car weighs about the same as mine since interior is all stock and he has a sound system in there.

I stood no chance whatsoever and I couldn't even hear my own car since his waste gate open dumps right underneath the engine, sounded absolutely mental. I know it's not a fair comparison but at the end of the day I'm driving a family sedan and he's in a rocket ship but it was very humbling to say the least..

He took me for a drive after and I've honestly never felt more scared in my life, felt like my brain and eyeballs were being pushed into the back of my skull. Those things are utterly insane and he daily drives it in comfort mode with power turned down.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 03:39 AM   #72
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Don't be sad, there's always a faster car out there.

I am sad cause nobody is challenging me

With the F Type everybody was trying to race
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 11:48 AM   #73
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
Don't be sad, there's always a faster car out there.

I am sad cause nobody is challenging me

With the F Type everybody was trying to race
Time for a custom plate then me thinks; start low with a "UR2SLOW" and progress from there.
Appreciate 3
brava09767.00
YanoM5500.50
      12-02-2019, 10:26 PM   #74
vtknight
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cream View Post
Raced my friend's '17 GTR with 4.4L billet block, Shep tranny with straight cut gears and AMS Alpha 16x kit running E85. It made me sad, his car weighs about the same as mine since interior is all stock and he has a sound system in there.

I stood no chance whatsoever and I couldn't even hear my own car since his waste gate open dumps right underneath the engine, sounded absolutely mental. I know it's not a fair comparison but at the end of the day I'm driving a family sedan and he's in a rocket ship but it was very humbling to say the least..

He took me for a drive after and I've honestly never felt more scared in my life, felt like my brain and eyeballs were being pushed into the back of my skull. Those things are utterly insane and he daily drives it in comfort mode with power turned down.
Lol - as I had an A16 (not X) - fully built 4.1 - I think to it is important to understand no bone stock car on this planet - including Agera R's and Chiron's would have stood a chance. To put it into perspective, the 16X is quicker and faster than my car was and I was running 137 MPH in the 1/8th. That is a good 7 MPH than the M5C is running by the end of the 1/4 mile. In fact that is about two MPH faster than the C7ZR1 and four MPH faster than my Turbo S in the 1/4 (which runs 10.4). I'm guessing he is likely 140-145 MPH in the 1/8th - so now he is in Mclaren 720S 1/4 mile range (which run high 9's). Bikes, any stock car is - not touching that build. That is a 7 second 1/4 mile car.

I applaud you for giving it try though lol - that is what is it all about!
Appreciate 2
limeypride4418.50
Vic5518961.00
      02-03-2020, 09:18 PM   #75
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by f90_FTW View Post
I'm Undefeated against any other f90. 4-0

Some other notables.

Beat a modded skyline from zero (lost roll)
Beat hellcats all day.
Beat ZL1's all day.
Beat a huracan from launch and on.

Not me but there is a video trending on Instagram of a red f90 smoking a McLaren 570 from launch.

We are the kings of the road!
Till a Tesla P100D lines up next to you
Appreciate 1
ambletx514.50
      02-03-2020, 09:41 PM   #76
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
Quote:

Some other notables.

Beat hellcats all day.
Beat ZL1's all day.

Not me but there is a video trending on Instagram of a red f90 smoking a McLaren 570 from launch.

I've beaten them, too. Being ready for them is the key—if you're not, yeah, it's all over... depending on when you consider the race "over" that is. Past 80mph, they're a bit meh.

On a dragstrip, they're no problem. Especially repeatedly and back to back. We get lighter, they get slower.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 05:42 AM   #77
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
Quote:

Some other notables.

Beat hellcats all day.
Beat ZL1's all day.

Yeah, they need 30 minutes pre-heating battery, lol

Slim chance I get challenged by a ready Tesla.
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 09:36 AM   #78
Funf6cyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6 cyl

Quote:

Yea Tesla doesn’t stand much of a chance unless they happen to be in that optimal window. Now a Taycan Turbo or Turbo S, well, you’re going to need to have a tune and downpipes just in the hopes of keeping pace there.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 12:15 PM   #79
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf6cyl View Post
Quote:

Yea Tesla doesn’t stand much of a chance unless they happen to be in that optimal window. Now a Taycan Turbo or Turbo S, well, you’re going to need to have a tune and downpipes just in the hopes of keeping pace there.
Tesla still plenty fast even without preheat or launch control. I have a X P100D too, unless the M5 gets a great launch, otherwise no chance. Of course Tesla runs out of steam quickly, in Taiwan's summer heat, pedal to the metal for about 4~5km on the freeway, and Tesla will start to cut power as well as air con.

Tesla right now is only good for stop light to stop light races.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 05:44 AM   #80
Earlando86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 and F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Power View Post
Yesterday night (in Mexico) I was having a little bit of fun with what I thought was a hellcat at first (ended up being a Charger Scatpack). I wouldn't call it a race... because I wouldn't disrespect my M5 and go head to head with a slow little scatpack.. But I kept giving him a 3-4 car head start before gapping him. By the sounds of it though, the guy actually thought we were racing since he said he didn't do bad for having only around 500hp. I let him know that I've raced and beat several hellcats by a large margin both off the line and from a roll and his car is more comparable to an M340 (which would beat him in a race) then an M5, hence the reason why I gave him such a huge head start every time before embarrassing him . It's funny to me that cars like that actually try with the M5.. lol
I swear all the Camaros, Mustangs, Challengers and Chargers be trying me. And oddly, at stop lights... Where they're guaranteed to lose. But not once, has any Corvette challenged me (and those are the ones I want to race most). 😅
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 10:03 PM   #81
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlando86 View Post
I swear all the Camaros, Mustangs, Challengers and Chargers be trying me. And oddly, at stop lights... Where they're guaranteed to lose. But not once, has any Corvette challenged me (and those are the ones I want to race most). 😅

at some point i will line up my z06 against my fathers m5 (non cp)

obviously not from a dig.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 02:14 AM   #82
Earlando86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 and F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
at some point i will line up my z06 against my fathers m5 (non cp)

obviously not from a dig.
Haha. Smart man and nice ride! Please record the footage for us. I've been contemplating on whether to add a ZL1 1le, Z06, M3/M4, Model 3P or Ram 1500 as a 3rd car. The spouse is leaning towards a truck but I love speed.

2019 M5 and 2020 X7 here.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 07:07 PM   #83
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Haha. Smart man and nice ride! Please record the footage for us. I've been contemplating on whether to add a ZL1 1le, Z06, M3/M4, Model 3P or Ram 1500 as a 3rd car. The spouse is leaning towards a truck but I love speed.

coincidentally, we have a ram 1500 also. Needed a beater, dont like driving cars in the rain etc.

I would highly suggest the c7z06, and not because i own one. I came from an f10, and then got the z06. I will never go back. The experience of 600lbs less, coupled with the supercharger v8, it's truly something to experience. I know the two cars are not truly compareble, but i can assure you take a test drive in the z06, you will not be dissapointed. The brutal power throughout 1st, 2nd, 3rd, will leave you with a grin from ear to ear. Prices are sure to drop now with c8's coming to town too. If you need a small, but useless back seat, go with the ZL1. I love the front end, but i never liked camaro's.This was all way off topic, but whatever. Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 04:50 AM   #84
flanast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Quote:

coincidentally, we have a ram 1500 also. Needed a beater, dont like driving cars in the rain etc.

I would highly suggest the c7z06, and not because i own one. I came from an f10, and then got the z06. I will never go back. The experience of 600lbs less, coupled with the supercharger v8, it's truly something to experience. I know the two cars are not truly compareble, but i can assure you take a test drive in the z06, you will not be dissapointed. The brutal power throughout 1st, 2nd, 3rd, will leave you with a grin from ear to ear. Prices are sure to drop now with c8's coming to town too. If you need a small, but useless back seat, go with the ZL1. I love the front end, but i never liked camaro's.This was all way off topic, but whatever. Best of luck!
I agree with your comment on the C7 Z06. That is what I turned in for my M5 C. It's an absolute beast and so fun to drive, great on both the road and track. But you WILL have mechanical and aero issues. If you can fix you own cars then I think your good to go. Whatever you do though don't ever bring to a GM dealership. Their mechanics don't even know the model you have; I.e., Z06 v stingray.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 07:14 AM   #85
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanast View Post
I agree with your comment on the C7 Z06. That is what I turned in for my M5 C. It's an absolute beast and so fun to drive, great on both the road and track. But you WILL have mechanical and aero issues. If you can fix you own cars then I think your good to go. Whatever you do though don't ever bring to a GM dealership. Their mechanics don't even know the model you have; I.e., Z06 v stingray.

Really? I've never had any issues with the car yet or the dealer. I've only done oil changes and changed rear tires about 4x in 11k miles

I actually lowered the car on stock bolts, and the dealer had trouble getting it on the lift and had to remove the side blades which i did worried about. but everything went ok. lol
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 11:13 AM   #86
flanast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Quote:

Really? I've never had any issues with the car yet or the dealer. I've only done oil changes and changed rear tires about 4x in 11k miles

I actually lowered the car on stock bolts, and the dealer had trouble getting it on the lift and had to remove the side blades which i did worried about. but everything went ok. lol
You are so so fortunate. My problem was likely because I tracked it. They advertise as a track ready car but could never get a full weekend with it without it breaking down.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 12:06 PM   #87
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
You are so so fortunate. My problem was likely because I tracked it. They advertise as a track ready car but could never get a full weekend with it without it breaking down.

ah, good to hear you tracked it. i dont have the balls. Was yours auto or MT?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 02:51 PM   #88
dbonebre
Rep
Drives: '22 F90C '18 F90 '16 991GTS

Camry...V6. It would have been close ... if I were going in reverse
Appreciate 1
wesleyan921343.00