BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    R&T: The 2019 BMW M5 Competition is Ludicrous

04-03-2019, 12:20 PM   #23
F10-M5
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbtx View Post
Its the transmission that causes the grabby brakes. The downshifts are brutal when you're in anything other than Efficient.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90alpinem3 View Post
Quote:
Its the transmission that causes the grabby brakes. The downshifts are brutal when you're in anything other than Efficient.
I agree that the Downshifts when not using the paddles can be a bit harsh but also agree the dct in the f10 was like getting kicked in the back each downshift!
Agreed on F90's transmission comment. Even in auto-mode, with no down-shift, just lifting my foot from a half-throttle was so abrupt, not comfortable at all for me, let alone the passengers.
I have an F10 M5, it is absolutely normal whether on down-shift or lifting foot off throttle.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 12:28 PM   #24
XsltAnalyst
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80, 957 Cayenne

Car is fine, and so-called auto journalists should spent some time actually writing a decent article with usable information.

I am tired of reading mediocre fb post style articles like these that filled with just random rubbish.
Instead, they could've mentioned actual full set of test results, and how it fares against the competition, how much value are you getting for your extra by ordering with comp. pack, how it compares to old F10 comp pack etc. Instead is just some page filler with random superlatives.

Car is a huge step up from F10.

It's a type of car you slowly fall in love with, after spending some time with it and getting used to its quirks and features.

I spent a good amount of time in one of these (regualr F90) during performance driving school event. Power, handling and brakes are excellent. Steering- yeah is a bit lifeless but very accurate. I highly doubt competition (E63 etc) offers any noticeable difference when it comes to steering feel. It's a big business saloon, after-all. Maybe LCI will offer a better steering feel but will have to wait a few years to find out.

If it's the same as in F80, then storing M1/M2 settings is as simple as holding the button for a few seconds. Also, author mentions combined Steering/Susp/Throttle settings are 9, lol no, it is 27. Add other save-able things (shift ferosity, Auto/Manual, DSC on/off, 2WD/AWD ) and you have over 1K different permutations.

Last edited by XsltAnalyst; 04-03-2019 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 01:11 PM   #25
Elanderholm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 MBB Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10-M5 View Post
Agreed on F90's transmission comment. Even in auto-mode, with no down-shift, just lifting my foot from a half-throttle was so abrupt, not comfortable at all for me, let alone the passengers.
I have an F10 M5, it is absolutely normal whether on down-shift or lifting foot off throttle.
The DC on the F10 M5 is smooth? I didn't consider it all that smooth. It was normal/good for a DC, but not as smooth (especially at low speeds) as a standard automatic. I had an F10 M5 for 3.5 yrs and now the F90 and the DC seems like it was a little faster on up and downshifts, but I don't find it any smoother.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 01:17 PM   #26
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Need For Speed View Post
I have not had your experience with my M5 Comp. The steering is direct and connected, the car feels much lighter than it is, and I have no trouble keeping it centered. I also do not agree with the article that there is no feedback from the steering. I have standard brakes and find them great, free from fade, and easy to modulate. All in all, about the only thing in that article I agree with is the statement that the M5 is a 4 door GTR. Only its better. Especially in Nardo with Aragon.
I find the same as you word for word, and I had CCB on my 2018 F90 M5, the only real difference in the braking is DUST the CCB's were clean.
      04-03-2019, 02:17 PM   #27
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

100% my friend! I was at opening day at my track and decided to take the F90comp to see for myself what it could do. Bill Auberlen told me I will never know how good it is unless I get it on track. To the point, the M5 defies laws lap after lap. It felt very at home and great feedback from chassis and brakes. The limit was the stock Pzeros so I never went above 7/10ths. With Rcomp tyres it would be complete. Now the shocking part. Even at that I managed to match my M4GTS time(happy and sad at same time LOL) and hunt down virtually every car in group A. Corner speeds were on par with race spec miatas and caymans . The 911C4GTS was no match. All of this and my fit bit never showed a heart rate above 112bpm hahaha. This F90 is mind bending. Fly by corner exit on a 911C4GTS and showing the CCBs doing their thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Need For Speed View Post
I have not had your experience with my M5 Comp. The steering is direct and connected, the car feels much lighter than it is, and I have no trouble keeping it centered. I also do not agree with the article that there is no feedback from the steering. I have standard brakes and find them great, free from fade, and easy to modulate. All in all, about the only thing in that article I agree with is the statement that the M5 is a 4 door GTR. Only its better. Especially in Nardo with Aragon.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Bönz183.50
      04-03-2019, 04:18 PM   #28
mhh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6

Grabby carbon brakes and poor steering feel are fair criticisms but it’s still the best car in its class.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 06:56 PM   #29
Jman911TTS
Private
Rep
Drives: A few toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsdub View Post
Hate to be a homer but I own this car and I found this article to be ridiculous. The reviewer clearly didn't spend much time in it given the size of the article and the confusion around its settings. (PS: the car doesn't forget your settings if you save them in the first place) You want a direct driving experience? Get an M2 or one of dozens of other cars on the market. I own a 911 GTS for that purpose. A car can't be everything...but at $125k, this car comes pretty close and should be commended for that. All that tech that makes it less connected makes the car better in other ways. Don't hate the car for what it's not, appreciate it for what it is....the ultimate grand tourer.
Well put mate, for me, the 991.2TT and the M3CS fill that gap.
19 Tacoma TRD Pro
20 Supra
Appreciate 1
jmsdub96.50
      04-04-2019, 04:07 AM   #30
dappercivility
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fegelein View Post
0-60 wise, isn't the comp faster? Many tests such as this, have the non-comp @ 2.8....

https://www.caranddriver.com/bmw/m5
0 to 60 at 2.8s is blazingly fast for a huge luxo family sedan! if its 0 to 62 maybe at 2.9 or max 3s? sometimes i wonder with tech at such levels in current times, how much faster can cars go? i guess now r&d would be to figure out how to maximise the power to be put down onto the tarmac instead of just maximising engine power output. it would be real interesting to see the likes of the next generation m5s and e63s 0 to 60 times.

this kind of times are close if not equal to significantly more lightweight exotic cars like ferrari and lambo utilising f1 engine and aerodynamic technology with even higher engine power output. the engineers at these exotic r&d department must be sweating their guts out trying to develop even faster cars for their next generation of models.
      04-04-2019, 04:11 AM   #31
dappercivility
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanesso View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanderholm View Post
Quote:
What would you call the M5 then? Its not a sports car, its not a GT? Its just a fast luxury car.
It tied the gt3rs at the eboladrome (sp?) on "The Grand Tour." It also bested the GTR on the same circuit and this was not the competition model. Faster than the m4 gts at NCM Motorsports Park. I think GT is probably the closest. A luxury cruiser it is not.
It is so much a luxury cruiser—feel like I'm driving a big 7 series much of the time. But awe inspiring power and acceleration is the reminder of performance. It's a wolf in sheep's clothing...I just wish it looked a bit more wolf like...
agreed on the luxury cruiser part. regardless how nimble the car is, everytime you get behind the wheel, it feels really big and heavy especially when you go fast into a corner, a M2 comp feels like a go kart in comparision. but still the m5 comp is highly capable even in the sports car realm.
      04-04-2019, 06:42 AM   #32
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

I'm going to weight in, but I'm still driving an e60 and have yet to get behind the new beast.

The breaks, whatever is going on with them are amazing, by the numbers.

And further this ties in with the debate on what car this thing actually is.

A 2019 miata stops in 112 ft. A BMW M5 stops in 97. And the BMW weighs almost double.

Conventions at track days seem to be that the lighter the car the better for track purposes because you stop faster and this can go faster longer and take a tighter line at the turn because you're not throwing weight around.

Imo this is basically out dated to an extent. If a Miata is no longer able to stop faster than a 4k car, and it definitely can't go faster in the turns, I can tell you that my M5 is just slightly less adept at cornering than a Z06, and I'm referring to keeping the weight from transferring and ruining traction.

Pretty damn impressive, and IMO if the Miata is the most tracked car in the US because 'light weight' means better stopping distance and easier handling but the M5 has it beat.

Also, I want to comment that you're never going to see the M5 compete with the GT2RS or equivalent horsepower car without the weight. Lower weight is always better, it's just that BMW have managed to get the suspension and brakes so good on the M5 and M3 (it's heavy as shit too let's be honest).

To top that off, I think most would agree that the bigger wheel base and wider cars that BMW makes are much easier to drive near the limit than the smaller 911 or other cars with equivalent power. I At least have Nicky Catsburg the BMW factory driver who agrees with me that the M6 and M8 are both the easiest to tame cars running in Blancpain and WEC.

My point is you'll see many M5s out drive Porsches or Vettes or Lamborghini because BMW has such a balanced planted car where the Porsche has the rear engine quirkiness and high horsepower squirreliness making it much tougher to learn in a few weekends for a casual track guy like the journalists or you and I.

I know for me it was a huge relief to get back in my BMW after driving a Z06 as the Z06 is just very different and wild in terms of how it behaves on a track.

The reality is the modern market will dictate what the 5 series looks like, and that's a big comfy grand tourer. The M division must work around what the production car is.

So imo, BMW took a GT car, the 5 series and made it a track car as best they could. The fact they still manage to be right there with Porsche is stunning. If anyone tells you it's not a track car, they are wrong IMO.

I haven't tested the brakes to see if they fade, nor to see if they wear fast, but it still does small car stuff better than small cars. It just might cost you a lot of cash in tires and brakes to do it lmao
Appreciate 4
VCP1390.00
Simon H874.50
      04-04-2019, 01:06 PM   #33
phefner
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340, F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsdub View Post
Hate to be a homer but I own this car and I found this article to be ridiculous. The reviewer clearly didn't spend much time in it given the size of the article and the confusion around its settings. (PS: the car doesn't forget your settings if you save them in the first place) You want a direct driving experience? Get an M2 or one of dozens of other cars on the market. I own a 911 GTS for that purpose. A car can't be everything...but at $125k, this car comes pretty close and should be commended for that. All that tech that makes it less connected makes the car better in other ways. Don't hate the car for what it's not, appreciate it for what it is....the ultimate grand tourer.
Hot damn jmsdub, we'll written sir.

AMEN!
      04-04-2019, 09:51 PM   #34
Elanderholm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 MBB Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dappercivility View Post
agreed on the luxury cruiser part. regardless how nimble the car is, everytime you get behind the wheel, it feels really big and heavy especially when you go fast into a corner, a M2 comp feels like a go kart in comparision. but still the m5 comp is highly capable even in the sports car realm.
Luxury cruiser is not really a category. It’s a GT. And it’s the best one.

You guys are basically arguing the S Class Merc is in the same category. If you’ve ever driven one and an m5c you know the only things they have in common are 4 doors and big trunks.

Last edited by Elanderholm; 04-04-2019 at 09:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
VCP1390.00
      04-05-2019, 12:27 AM   #35
dappercivility
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You guys are basically arguing the S Class Merc is in the same category. If you’ve ever driven one and an m5c you know the only things they have in common are 4 doors and big trunks.
My bad. Grand GT it is. I'm in the midst of negotiating of getting out of my current 540i and getting into the m5c. The extended test drive had me falling in love with the m5c. I only tested the m5 base though, the local dealership did not have yet a comp spec demo yet.

The m5 base which i tested is a very capable grand gt in my opinion.
      04-05-2019, 11:01 AM   #36
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

Quote:
Quote:

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 09:36 AM   #37
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Luxury cruiser is not really a category. It's a GT. And it's the best one.

You guys are basically arguing the S Class Merc is in the same category. If you've ever driven one and an m5c you know the only things they have in common are 4 doors and big trunks.
My bad. Grand GT it is. I'm in the midst of negotiating of getting out of my current 540i and getting into the m5c. The extended test drive had me falling in love with the m5c. I only tested the m5 base though, the local dealership did not have yet a comp spec demo yet.

No, no, no.

GT cars have soft comfortable suspension.

It's all foggy because of adaptive suspension.

An alpina, Mercedes S class, 911 turbo, corvette Stingray, all have a comfortable ride, that you can drive in for hours. 7 series and Alpina were the BMW GT cars. The problem is if you want a soft ride you compromise your handling performance. GT cars can turn, I'm referring to weight transfer.

The M5 can get pretty comfortable, but the suspension is much much tighter Than a GT car. The M5 literally is right there with a Z06 in sport mode. If you've ever gone on a road trip in a Z06 leave the car with your brain rattled because you feel every bump. M5 has more comfortable seats, the Conpetition might not though. The alpina is the opposite of the M5 and has a comfort + mode and still is within 2 seconds or so speed wise of the M5.

If you really want a nice GT you should get the Alpina, a 7 series, or a 550 luxury line, and don't waste your money on an M5 competition. If you don't want a track car you're never going to use any of the $30k feautures!

For that money you could have a 7 series with a V12 or a B6 alpina and those would suit your needs much better.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 05:04 PM   #38
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Quote:
The DC on the F10 M5 is smooth? I didn't consider it all that smooth. It was normal/good for a DC, but not as smooth (especially at low speeds) as a standard automatic. I had an F10 M5 for 3.5 yrs and now the F90 and the DC seems like it was a little faster on up and downshifts, but I don't find it any smoother.
Is F10 M5c in any way or in any department better than or at least comparable to F90 M5c
      04-07-2019, 05:08 PM   #39
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You guys are basically arguing the S Class Merc is in the same category. If you've ever driven one and an m5c you know the only things they have in common are 4 doors and big trunks.

No, no, no.

An alpina, Mercedes S class, 911 turbo, corvette Stingray, all have a comfortable ride, that you can drive in for hours. 7 series and Alpina were the BMW GT cars. The problem is if you want a soft ride you compromise your handling performance. GT cars can turn, I'm referring to weight transfer.

The M5 can get pretty comfortable, but the suspension is much much tighter Than a GT car. The M5 literally is right there with a Z06 in sport mode. If you've ever gone on a road trip in a Z06 leave the car with your brain rattled because you feel every bump. M5 has more comfortable seats, the Conpetition might not though. The alpina is the opposite of the M5 and has a comfort + mode and still is within 2 seconds or so speed wise of the M5.

If you really want a nice GT you should get the Alpina, a 7 series, or a 550 luxury line, and don't waste your money on an M5 competition. If you don't want a track car you're never going to use any of the $30k feautures!

For that money you could have a 7 series with a V12 or a B6 alpina and those would suit your needs much better.
Is F10 M5c more comfortable?
      04-07-2019, 05:38 PM   #40
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Is F10 M5c in any way or in any department better than or at least comparable to F90 M5c
DCT perhaps... sometimes.

Oh, and then there's nothing else at all.
Appreciate 1
VCP1390.00
      04-07-2019, 05:42 PM   #41
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No, no, no.

I had 3 F10 M5s, all Conp Package as it was back then. I'd go with no on this front as well.

That said, I'm in the minority when it comes to M5C ride comfort but I've already done 6500 miles in it--the first 1600 done in 2 1/2 days driving it back--and I had no complaints then nor have I or my family any now.
Appreciate 1
VCP1390.00
      04-08-2019, 04:48 AM   #42
josec70
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22' Individual Chalk M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No, no, no.

I had 3 F10 M5s, all Conp Package as it was back then. I'd go with no on this front as well.

That said, I'm in the minority when it comes to M5C ride comfort but I've already done 6500 miles in it--the first 1600 done in 2 1/2 days driving it back--and I had no complaints then nor have I or my family any now.
With you on this one ... owned two F10 M5's. Spec'd one of the 1st US M5C and have no issues with ride comfort (even after KW HAS and 21" wheels).
GONE: 13' F10 M5|SG|BLACK|AKRA|KW|IND
LONG GONE: 09' E60 M5|02' E39 M5
Appreciate 1
VCP1390.00
      04-09-2019, 10:42 AM   #43
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No, no, no.

I don't think so. If you buy the competiton package you're buying a 'competition' suspension. The car is designed to be a track machine.

I don't know how well the adaptive works but I'd be worried how beat up it's going to.m be driving on city streets because even my 135i got busted up from pot holes and it's a little higher off the ground than the M5c.

Really a great car, really not a car that's going to be fun or happy on daily driver conditions or really even road trips. It's purely for fun.
Appreciate 0