BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board    How much does it cost to build a new house?

02-19-2020, 04:35 AM   #45
Kooch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Sakhir Orange 6MT

I live on the south shore (approx 20 miles south of Boston) - a few years back for additions and new builds I saw quotes between $200-300 per sq ft.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 06:29 AM   #46
caninefinest
Private
Rep
Drives: F06 M6GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
We are doing a mixed use project with homes from 1400-2400 sq.ft. with a price point in our area which is extremely affordable. We are still grappling with the city on a few issues but you are 100% correct on the utility of this size to young families or recent graduates. We will be between a major university and the downtown area which is experiencing a revival as we speak. The 3500+ sq.ft. homes belong in the burbs to established families and this is a very underserved market.
MKSixer, are you still going to build in Atlanta?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 06:42 AM   #47
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by caninefinest View Post
MKSixer, are you still going to build in Atlanta?
I'm not building in ATL. There is a company that already builds there. They have a substantial community.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 11:38 AM   #48
caninefinest
Private
Rep
Drives: F06 M6GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
I'm not building in ATL. There is a company that already builds there. They have a substantial community.
Thank you for the reply. Do you happen to know the name of the company?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 12:26 PM   #49
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by caninefinest View Post
Thank you for the reply. Do you happen to know the name of the company?
I can try to get it. Give me a day or so.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 02:09 PM   #50
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Laughs in CA pricing. Right around $600/sq ft where I'm at to build your own.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 09:18 AM   #51
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Y'all are making me feel good this morning. Homes are apparently way cheaper here than most places, except maybe Texas cause I've seen pics of TXStyle's house.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 11:57 AM   #52
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
A friend of mine built his house for $85k. It cost him $85K to build it. I hope this helps.

Wow that's probably free labor as he built it. Still $85k in appliances, materials, and fixtures isn't too bad.

Buying new seems to be meh - builder spec houses are very unappealing in design. I keep scoping houses for sale in the new divisions around me and from $1mm-2.5mm the design is pretty blah. Pretty shocking to see people buying and living in $2mm houses that look like they bought their fixtures from Home Depot and their tile from the sale bin.

My advice is to always buy the cheapest house in the nicest area you can afford. Live in squalor for a while and establish comfort with your new expense. Then, start to plan a remodel that is exactly what you want. Then, live in a house that is exactly as you want.

(I didn't buy the cheapest house in the nicest area - and sometimes wish I had... but the area I Want to live in is too pricey even for a 1,300 sq foot house haha)
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      02-20-2020, 12:26 PM   #53
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
Wow that's probably free labor as he built it. Still $85k in appliances, materials, and fixtures isn't too bad.

Buying new seems to be meh - builder spec houses are very unappealing in design. I keep scoping houses for sale in the new divisions around me and from $1mm-2.5mm the design is pretty blah. Pretty shocking to see people buying and living in $2mm houses that look like they bought their fixtures from Home Depot and their tile from the sale bin.

My advice is to always buy the cheapest house in the nicest area you can afford. Live in squalor for a while and establish comfort with your new expense. Then, start to plan a remodel that is exactly what you want. Then, live in a house that is exactly as you want.

(I didn't buy the cheapest house in the nicest area - and sometimes wish I had... but the area I Want to live in is too pricey even for a 1,300 sq foot house haha)
Agree 100%. My buddy is a contractor, so he was able to find deals on windows, doors, flooring, etc. aside from what he didn't use as reclaimed material from houses he has worked on. No clue what his house would appraise for, but he ended up with instant equity for sure. He did end up with free labor (for the most part) as he built it himself when he had the time, but it took him forever to finish it. Growing up, the poor guy had little to nothing, didn't go great in school; honestly not sure that he graduated high school. He started swinging a hammer at 18, 25 years later he owns his own company, owns 3 rental properties and the home he lives in is paid off. Out of our clique, we would have never thought he would be the most successful.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 01:54 PM   #54
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

Quote:

That approach can backfire too, we bought a house that was in teardown pricing for our area (low $200s a sq foot), but it was built by a famous architect, was on a nice lot in a area where new homes go for around $400/sf. Our house was built in the 50s in the mid century modern style. Developers will buy homes like ours (2200 sf) and put the biggest house they can on the lot (around 5000 sf) and sell it for close to 2 million. The construction business is so horrible here that we've been through several contractors and put in more than we paid for the house because of incompetence and waste. The often have no assets that you can get to, so suing them is a losing proposition except for the attorneys. The only positive is that the tax value has only gone up a little because we haven't added much to the square footage. Even if we could sell it for what we have into it and find something we like for that amount, our taxes would go up by $15-20k a year. Real estate taxes are very high here because we don't have a state income tax and we're in the best school zone (our kids are older and don't even live with us).
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 09:30 PM   #55
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:

I dont wanna live in a shithole plus I have a kid
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 09:39 PM   #56
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

i will never, ever understand this USA and Canada thing of monumental house taxes. it's a regressive tax, absolutely insane.

Your entire tax system is a joke, both of you.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614883.50
      02-20-2020, 11:20 PM   #57
Wineguy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M535,328i,328d,330i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
This is such a loaded question. It truly varies on where you live, labor rates, etc.
Here in TX a decent new build house is going to run around $110/ft to build. Less for cheaper finish-out. $150/ft will get something nicer, and $200/ft is going to be high quality.

I have heard labor is higher in the NE so probably $150/ft but it’s hard to say without someone local chiming in.
Agreed! If it were CA I’d say 350-500sq ft minimum
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 04:29 AM   #58
Housekeeping
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Wonderful question....
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 08:41 AM   #59
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

So I know you can get mortgage for land + new construction and start paying that when house is built. Does it work the same with large renovations? Say I buy some shitty house for 200-300k and then spend another 150-250k for renovations, is there a mortgage that would allow me to start paying when construction is done?
My mortgage guy in on vacation
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 09:42 AM   #60
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:

I think that's everywhere, the tendency of people to buy the most sqft. their budget will allow. They end up living in a big, drab, cheap-looking box. Maybe they think they'll upgrade things as their income rises, but I don't think that happens very often because you see the houses back on the market 10 years later and they haven't had any upgrades. Now they're drab and cheap and have 10 years' wear-and-tear on them, so they're even less appealing than they were when they were new.

I've got a couple of big projects going on right now at work that are going to run for about another year. After that, I'm going to start looking again. Probably something small-ish and reasonably priced where I can upgrade/remodel my way to what I want it to look like. I can do all the work myself; "flipping houses" was a family activity when I was a kid. I don't need a lot of space, but I want to live in a nice neighborhood so I'll probably stick close to where I'm at.
      02-22-2020, 09:58 AM   #61
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
So I know you can get mortgage for land + new construction and start paying that when house is built. Does it work the same with large renovations? Say I buy some shitty house for 200-300k and then spend another 150-250k for renovations, is there a mortgage that would allow me to start paying when construction is done?
My mortgage guy in on vacation
You can get a renovation construction loan based on the estimated final value of the renovated house. Expect some administrative overhead, though, same as you would have for a construction loan on a new house. The lender will put some fairly stringent controls and verification measures on the process, to secure the value of the asset they're lending against. They want to make sure you don't exhaust the funds and end up with a half-finished house that has a blue tarp covering the whole roof and no windows in it, since the home in that state would probably be worth even less than it was when you started. They're going to mitigate their risk exposure, same as you or I would.
      02-25-2020, 10:12 AM   #62
jdsaengine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 650iX vert, 2017 Corvette

I built this in 2000. I designed it (did not hire an architect), hired the sub contractors myself and did the electrical and HVAC myself (with the help of my 3 teenage kids and my wife). Did it for $61/ft. Total build with lot $360K. Sold it 9yr later for $525K.

Only issues were some flashing leaks at dormers and the front yard sunk in around water/sanitary pipes due to poor dirt backfill. Would I do it again? NOPE. . .took a year out of my life and at 70 now, it would probably kill me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Ngilbe361618.50
vreihen1614883.50
P111541.50
      02-25-2020, 06:20 PM   #63
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

jdsaengine raises a good point. Good friend of mine just built a beautiful home in central Texas. I can ask him for rough square footage and ballpark what it cost him to build it, but his wife ended up quitting her job for a bit just so she could concentrate on the house being built.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 07:40 PM   #64
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
About $400 per sqft here in the greater Seattle area. So, about $800k for a 2,000 sqft house. if you went home shopping in Seattle you'd spend about....wait for it....$800k on a similar 2000 sqft house. Builders arent dumb. The general market for building houses closely tracks the market for buying houses. It it were 50% cheaper to build a house, everyone would do it. If it were 50% more to build a house, no one would do it. So no matter were you live it's about a wash. The free market sees to that.
Yes, but not everyone wants to wait close to 6-8 months for house to build. Builders aren't dumb, but you can save here and there. I would probably need just foundation and framing done by builder, then I have my own people and myself to do the finish. Or go modular.

I dont care about design etc. 1970s house sell for 500k without any major renovations. If I can build a brand new house under 600k, i think it could be a huge win
Put in a central vacuum while you're at it. Your wife will thank you 10 months from now.

There first change order done......

I always say go big or go home. You want to build then no one should stop you.
      02-25-2020, 08:11 PM   #65
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Cannot stand central vacs. Dragging that fucking hose everywhere is harder than dragging the vacuum! Awful.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614883.50
      02-25-2020, 08:16 PM   #66
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Who’s built a custom home and ran into a heap of quality issues ?
My folks had this happen twice.

Downside of custom builders is lack of quality control and lack of accountability.

But sometimes you have no choice. To live in certain more exclusive neighborhoods you have to go the custom route.
Appreciate 0