BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion    BMW How-To Video Series - Technology Features Explained

12-13-2018, 01:06 PM   #1
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
BMW How-To Video Series - Technology Features Explained

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW How-To Videos
COMMENTS

HOW-TO BMW?

BMW has released a series of informative and demonstrative videos to help drivers of new BMW vehicles get comfortable and familiar with the various new features that may be equipped with their BMWs.

The videos are concise and easy to understand.
This should be helpful to new owners who share FAQs about their BMWs.

Below is the video series organized by category.

PERSONALIZATION

Getting Started
Quote:
The new BMW Operating System 7 offers you the possibility to save, synchronize and restore your personal settings if you create a driver profile. With synchronization of your ConnectedDrive account, your settings are saved in the cloud and not only saved on your vehicle key. You can now easily synchronize your settings to every BMW that uses the Operating System 7.

ConnectedDrive Account
Quote:
You can create more than one driver profile per car. Each profile is then connected to a ConnectedDrive account. If you do not have a ConnectedDrive account yet, you can make one by using the QR-code in the Control Display. When you activate your own ConnectedDrive Account, your settings will be restored even when you are driving in a rental car.

OPERATING SYSTEM 7

User Interface - Operating System 7
Quote:
The fully digital BMW Operating System 7 allows you to personalize and change content in the Control Display to create your own menu. This film shows you step by step how to change or add pages and widgets according to your taste.

Instrument Cluster - Operating System 7
Quote:
With the Operating System 7, BMW offers a digital instrument cluster, which combines all necessary information on one screen. The instrument cluster is divided into three different areas for a clear overview. On the left you can see all driving relevant information, in the center area there is the navigation screen as well as control messages and on the right you can see the rev counter and widgets.

Voice Control - Operating System 7
Quote:
Voice Control by BMW is the perfect way to control your car while driving. With the activation of voice control by pushing the button on your steering wheel or saying the activation word, you can easily operate several functions with the use of your voice. Besides that, you can activate Siri on your paired iPhone by long-pressing the voice control button on the steering wheel.

iDRIVE 6

Voice Control - iDrive 6
Quote:
Voice Control by BMW is the perfect way to control your car while driving. With the activation of voice control by pushing the button on your steering wheel, you can easily operate several functions with the use of your voice. Besides that, you can activate Siri on your paired iPhone by long-pressing the voice control button on the steering wheel.

CONNECTIVITY

Bluetooth Connection
Quote:
With Bluetooth connectivity you can pair multiple phones with your BMW. For the best possible experience we recommend you to allow synchronization of your phone book. This willl allow you to access your contacts from the BMW Operating System 7 and via Voice Control.

Apple CarPlay
Quote:
The idea of Apple CarPlay is to operate and control your iPhone with the Control Display of your BMW for a connected drive. This film shows you how easy it is to link your iPhone with your BMW. Once connected you can use selected apps via your Control Display.

DRIVER ASSIST TECH

BMW Personal Copilot
Quote:
New vehicles sporting the BMW Operating System 7, feature the CoPilot function. This function offers a safe and comfortable driving experience. With the click of a button, you can turn on Assisted Driving and with the mode-button switch between different levels of autonomous driving.

Parking Assistant
Quote:
With the Parking Assistant your car will find its way in almost every parking slot. After pushing the Parking Assistant button or selecting reverse gear, the system helps identify suitable parking spaces and supports the driver when parallel or perpendicular parking.

AUTO START STOP

Auto Start Stop Function
Quote:
The Auto Start Stop Function helps you to save fuel and reduces unnecessary emissions in a very simple way. The Auto Start Stop Function automatically shuts off the engine whenever possible. It then automatically turns the engine on again, when it is possible to move on.

CONVENIENCE

Smart Opener
Quote:
With Smart Opener, comfortable access to your BMW is granted at all time. When carrying the remote control with you, you can easily open the tailgate, even if you are not able to use your hands.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 6
Jason40290.50
M3GymNut907.50
clee1982796.00
1M Tex240.00
      12-14-2018, 11:30 AM   #2
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Thank you for sharing. By any slight chance, I have the original system in my F80 because its a 2015, any videos or chances there's an application I can connect it to through my phone?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 11:38 AM   #3
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Awesome post!

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 11:51 AM   #4
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

the instrument cluster set up really opens up a lot of really cool features. Im sure what we are seeing now is just the beginning.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 12:09 PM   #5
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
I have some great videos on my channel as well https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD...2ANRUTBC5SBrxg

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 12:13 PM   #6
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Short videos for the short attention spans of millennial's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 2
      12-14-2018, 01:28 PM   #7
M2COMP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5, 2013 550xi, M2C

I see full screen CarPlay here. Is it a version update. I have I drive 6.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 02:20 AM   #8
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 10:25 AM   #9
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3GymNut View Post
Thank you for sharing. By any slight chance, I have the original system in my F80 because its a 2015, any videos or chances there's an application I can connect it to through my phone?
The BMW Connected app is what will work with your car, but you can't log into your ConnectedDrive account in the car to gain the same benefits as what you get with iDrive 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
the instrument cluster set up really opens up a lot of really cool features. Im sure what we are seeing now is just the beginning.
With over-the-air updates coming in a few months, I would not be surprised at all if we did gain additional functionality with the instrument cluster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
BMW has been making feature-specific videos for a while now. It actually makes a lot of sense as for most people, they want to learn about specific, individual features when they come looking for help. Making a 20-minute video that covers a number of topics would be a big turn-off as people will have to skip around to find the one or two things they want to know. These short videos have been very well-received by clients of all ages, but especially middle-aged and older people.

Also, you never use an apostrophe when pluralizing a noun of any type, ever. That's something millennials are absolutely butchering for sure though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2COMP View Post
I'm almost certain this is iDrive 7 specific. BMW hasn't been known to retrofit newer technology and features into prior generation systems, so I doubt it'll happen.

Last edited by PABrian; 12-26-2018 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 2
M3GymNut907.50
      12-15-2018, 10:59 AM   #10
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2COMP View Post
Only works on iDrive 7

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 11:04 AM   #11
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBMWBrian View Post
The BMW Connected app is what will work with your car, but you can't log into your ConnectedDrive account in the car to gain the same benefits as what you get with iDrive 7.
Question, what benefits do I have by having the BMW Connected app with my car?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 06:35 PM   #12
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

Masterful move to put these key videos in one place. The challenge is keeping pace with developments.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 12:14 AM   #13
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Cool, all very insightful
      12-20-2018, 07:40 AM   #14
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3GymNut View Post
Question, what benefits do I have by having the BMW Connected app with my car?
The Connected app allows you to lock/unlock the doors, flash the lights, sound the horn, send addresses to your car, locate your car, show you current odometer reading and whether the car is locked, activate or schedule ventilation in the car, and a few other misc. things like scheduling departure to a certain address and integrating with Alexa. You do have to have an active ConnectedDrive subscription, which you can check on and renew by going to ConnectedDrive in the car then selecting "Visit Store."
Appreciate 1
M3GymNut907.50
      12-22-2018, 03:43 PM   #15
freezey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
This made me laugh. I just kept skipping everything hahaha.
Appreciate 0