BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls    Drivetrain malfunction. Need answers...

04-25-2019, 05:09 AM   #1
gramster1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F82 M4 Coupe

Drivetrain malfunction. Need answers...

I had my 18' F90 delivered in Jul 18. After around 2k miles I started having constant drivetrain malfunction issues - car would stall, lose power, or just shut off all electronics...
This being said, I've been back and forth with my BMW dealer about the issues and it's been in multiple times - twice for software, third saying they needed to order a replacement waste gate control valve (not sure if that's the exact name) ; it is currently going on to service in the next week or so to have this part installed... Anyone have any advice on this? I definitely would not want to keep this car if I don't have to but know that lemon law is a complicated process... Also anyone have any luck of the issue being resolved yet? My vin is as follows: WBSJ F0C5 8J B283496
Also to add: the issue seems to pop up a CEL and after shutting off the car for 5-10 minutes most of the time will resolve itself - BMW has advised me that sometimes when they have scanned my car it doesn't show a fault in the system...and sometimes it has...

TIA! Please let me know if any suggestions or thoughts...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 12:04 AM   #2
RPI-M5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition Frozen Bla

Are you seeing a Drivetrain Malfunction warning on the main screen or dash screen? Or does the engine just shut off without a warning? Do the electronics in the car still work even if the engine won't start?

I'm in the middle of dealing with something similar
      10-10-2019, 04:27 AM   #3
gramster1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F82 M4 Coupe

update

Occurs intermittently, normally when cruising at lower RPMS in higher gears. Normally resolved by turning off the car and opening and closing the door...

I see a wrench icon on the dash as well as the alert on the iDrive... A couple of times electronics have restarted.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0