BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Can someone answer a CarPlay Question?

07-29-2019, 04:09 PM   #1
bradleyjs
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5B, 2006 E60 550i

Garage List
Can someone answer a CarPlay Question?

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1631802

My post is the last one in the list. I keep getting intermittent “An Internet Connection is Required” error message and Siri won’t respond. I then drive around town and it works most of the time but others - meh - hit or miss. My iPhone always has an LTE connection albeit fairly weak at times, depending on location.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 09:29 PM   #2
bradleyjs
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
There’s got to be an “Apple Genius” amongst us somewhere here in the forum...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 03:42 PM   #3
DingolfingLove
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp

I had the same issue a few weeks back & when I raised this with a dealer, they confirmed it is a known fault, caused by the latest Apple IOS update. Weirdly, I am not aware of any new IOS update, but the connectivity issue has now gone and it works as before !?

PS my phone is always connected via a cable to the AUX port in the arm rest box
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 04:49 PM   #4
bradleyjs
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DingolfingLove View Post
I had the same issue a few weeks back & when I raised this with a dealer, they confirmed it is a known fault, caused by the latest Apple IOS update. Weirdly, I am not aware of any new IOS update, but the connectivity issue has now gone and it works as before !?

PS my phone is always connected via a cable to the AUX port in the arm rest box
iOS just came out late last week with v12.4. The previous version 12.3.2 (or .3 - I don’t remember at the moment) and it started acting up with that slightly older version after only having the new F90 a week or so.

I will test it from inside the arm rest and see if that changes its behavior. I won’t be able to test it for a week or so because I just had full left knee replacement surgery yesterday and just got discharged from the hospital an hour ago. I can’t stand or walk much less getting in/out of the car at the moment.

I really appreciate the reply. If i get some time later today or tomorrow, I plan to call a BMW Genius to see what they say about the Bluetooth/WiFi connections.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 10:36 PM   #5
italiabrain
Private
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 Comp

I had previously heard of this issue being attributed to BMW going to a subscription CarPlay model. I think it phones home to their servers to make sure you have an active subscription (pre-19 car, 19 in first year or with paid sub). Even if you’re not using part of the app that requires internet it may lock you out if your cars cell service is sketchy or if BMW’s servers are on the fritz.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 01:45 PM   #6
bradleyjs
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiabrain View Post
I had previously heard of this issue being attributed to BMW going to a subscription CarPlay model. I think it phones home to their servers to make sure you have an active subscription (pre-19 car, 19 in first year or with paid sub). Even if you’re not using part of the app that requires internet it may lock you out if your cars cell service is sketchy or if BMW’s servers are on the fritz.
Crap! The last thing we need is more “bureaucratic” nonsense just to get basic internet service.
Appreciate 0