BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Cosmetic Modifications    Respray or autoflex

04-29-2023, 09:45 AM   #1
LouK
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram TRX F90 M5

Respray or autoflex

When taking care of paint chips, would you rather have it resprayed in original paint, or coated in something like autoflex?
My bumper and hood are peppered pretty well, side skirts could use a touch up as well. Reviews say autoflex would have no issues lasting 5+ years. Having the whole car done in autoflex ( any color) will be slightly more than just having the effected areas done in original.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 10:42 AM   #2
carseatsm5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Never heard of Autoflex. Is that like Plasti Dip?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 12:05 PM   #3
LouK
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carseatsm5 View Post
Never heard of Autoflex. Is that like Plasti Dip?
Similar, it’s a spray on. The finish is equivalent to automotive. Stays high gloss same as regular paint. If it needs to be redone can just be peeled.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 12:55 PM   #4
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

I like the idea. I'm about sick of trying to find a PPF installer that is able to count his balls and get the same number twice. But, I guess you'd end right back in the same situation and get chips in that, too. I'm just going to tape a bunch of burlap to the car's panels. I will called it PPB... Paint Protection Burlap.. and corner the market like Xpel has tried to do.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2023, 01:12 PM   #5
LouK
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdogray View Post
I like the idea. I'm about sick of trying to find a PPF installer that is able to count his balls and get the same number twice. But, I guess you'd end right back in the same situation and get chips in that, too. I'm just going to tape a bunch of burlap to the car's panels. I will called it PPB... Paint Protection Burlap.. and corner the market like Xpel has tried to do.
True, this would eventually get chips. You can have them do extra layers on high traffic areas to help. I like the burlap idea, would be very cost effective
Appreciate 1
nerdogray1304.50
      04-29-2023, 01:29 PM   #6
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Depends on the cost, but I wouldn't mind just reapplication every so often and just "let the chips fall where they may." I kill me. Anyway, this would also bypass all of those problem areas with PPF... fingering edges, that trunk ledge (the corners)... just so many issues. I'm assuming they can just peel off problem panels for reapplication? I'm warming up to this the more I'm typing about it.

Plus, I would imagine this wouldn't take more than two days max. Total guess... maybe even a day if they pushed it. Prep-work would be the longest, I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 03:37 PM   #7
LouK
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Can't find the video right now, a guy had it done and posted a review after 40K miles. Drove year round in michigan with the salt and nastiness of those winters. It actually had less chips than two areas he had vinyl wrap on.

EDIT: Found the video

Last edited by LouK; 06-18-2023 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 0