BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 vs...    Porsche 991.2 Turbo S vs F90 M5

05-07-2019, 10:00 AM   #111
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
I know, I saw one used with only 500mil for 249K
WTF--- must have been a stripper and not the one that I love to see on the poles!!!

LOLOLOL
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 10:02 AM   #112
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
What 600 costs close to 238k msrp- I think they will drop in typical Maca style to that number down the road but the majority have msrp's over this price point. What was on that 238k car? I dont even see an aero kit and that is almost always on a car at that level of msrp?

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/search..._FORM&zc=92808

And while the prices on the 600 are negotiable so is that over priced cab for sure. That dealer will be stuck with that car for a long time unless they cut some of the front (11%) and even move into their holdback.
Agreed. I briefly looked at the 720S before buying the TTS. Reliability issues and comfort issues killed it for me. Plus sparse dealer network. Top end charge is awesome though.

My TTS sticker was under $200 before discount. I would still buy it again.
Appreciate 2
      05-07-2019, 03:03 PM   #113
vtknight
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Agreed. I briefly looked at the 720S before buying the TTS. Reliability issues and comfort issues killed it for me. Plus sparse dealer network. Top end charge is awesome though.

My TTS sticker was under $200 before discount. I would still buy it again.
T beat me to it. Mclaren has build quality issue as per many owners feedback. Even Chris Harris says out loud that Mclaren "has to do better" with the cars they are building - but does not state the specifics. Sparse support is a biggie as well. They depreciate like stones for a reason unfortunately. Turbo S has been very satisfying to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 07:33 PM   #114
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 458, BMW i8, Acura NSX

720S and TTS are on different planets performance wise. But certainly the Porsche is an easier/more reliable car.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 10:08 PM   #115
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-Sta07 View Post
720S and TTS are on different planets performance wise. But certainly the Porsche is an easier/more reliable car.
Being fair - stock for stock - the 720S is on a different planet from everything else.

To my knowledge - the TTS is now third for all round performance - behind the Performante and 720S. Likely tied in a straight line or slightly quicker than a 570S - and on the track - fairly equal when equally shoed.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 12:21 AM   #116
vtknight
Major
Rep

Review update:

Oil change at 1000 KM's/~600 miles - presently just over 1600 KM/1000 miles. Now that I am able to use more of the car - I am seeing that I made the right choice. It is capable. As I am not doing anything that resembles a dig, and simply "rowing" through gears (I actually have yet to shift for myself yet - PDK is just that good) - I am surprised about the mid-top end grunt the car has. I am fairly attuned to my cars having been involved in track racing for some time, and I am going to say having been in the non-S Turbo, that this is where I feel the difference. The turbos in the S do seem a little beefier in that mid-top end, the curve feels fatter - and with less fall off. Very smooth - always very very smooth this car. Quick DCT PDK shifts? - still feels smooth. The handling only adds to that. My C7 Z06 - from what I can research is the better skidpad and (overall) handling car on paper. It is lower to the ground and wider. That said - the Porsche suspension with the four wheel steer - makes whatever I am doing effortless. Tight corner? Feels like butter. Zero drama. I am starting to understand now how the magazine reviews can poop on the car - for being "so uneventful". It feels like there are no limits to the car - I have yet to feel it strain.

On the note of that magazine negativity, where I am in my life - this level of superiority appeals to me. I have always gravitated to hyper-capable cars - but one that can do it at this level - while being luxury GT car good(ness)? Not until now.

Some of my friends and those on my pages have asked me why Mclaren was out in my decision making. They mostly ask me this as I was a performance junkie - owning two cars that totaled over 3000 HP. I am a big fan of the platform. The 720S is a TITAN of performance today. Nothing stock from factory even close to its price point is beating it in a straight line - and it ain't half bad on the road course either. I have found that build quality from owner feedback - hasn't been stellar - and I am guessing that is one of the reasons it struggles to retain its value. But here again, the Porsche walk away with the title - as most complete and well constructed car on this planet. Again - I have not had this car long - but it feels so solid. Like nothing can break a Porsche. If my car could talk it would constantly be saying "That's it? Do it again - more...". I almost feel the car is annoyed with me during this break in period.

Overall driving is fantastic. Unlike any car like this in its class - I just enjoy driving it. It doesn't matter what I am doing or what speeds. It just makes me want to drive it. All the time. I like the somewhat "stealth/not stealthiness" quality of the car. Some people notice - some are oblivious. As a non-attention seeking individual myself, I find this both convenient and uncomfortable. It's like I am involuntarily saying to the car "surprise me".

I am excited to see what the car is capable of - but I am enjoying the process. More to come - from the track.
Appreciate 4
onfireX53618.50
somer966.00
Vic5519363.50
      05-08-2019, 09:36 AM   #117
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtknight View Post
Review update:

Oil change at 1000 KM's/~600 miles - presently just over 1600 KM/1000 miles. Now that I am able to use more of the car - I am seeing that I made the right choice. It is capable. As I am not doing anything that resembles a dig, and simply "rowing" through gears (I actually have yet to shift for myself yet - PDK is just that good) - I am surprised about the mid-top end grunt the car has. I am fairly attuned to my cars having been involved in track racing for some time, and I am going to say having been in the non-S Turbo, that this is where I feel the difference. The turbos in the S do seem a little beefier in that mid-top end, the curve feels fatter - and with less fall off. Very smooth - always very very smooth this car. Quick DCT PDK shifts? - still feels smooth. The handling only adds to that. My C7 Z06 - from what I can research is the better skidpad and (overall) handling car on paper. It is lower to the ground and wider. That said - the Porsche suspension with the four wheel steer - makes whatever I am doing effortless. Tight corner? Feels like butter. Zero drama. I am starting to understand now how the magazine reviews can poop on the car - for being "so uneventful". It feels like there are no limits to the car - I have yet to feel it strain.

On the note of that magazine negativity, where I am in my life - this level of superiority appeals to me. I have always gravitated to hyper-capable cars - but one that can do it at this level - while being luxury GT car good(ness)? Not until now.

Some of my friends and those on my pages have asked me why Mclaren was out in my decision making. They mostly ask me this as I was a performance junkie - owning two cars that totaled over 3000 HP. I am a big fan of the platform. The 720S is a TITAN of performance today. Nothing stock from factory even close to its price point is beating it in a straight line - and it ain't half bad on the road course either. I have found that build quality from owner feedback - hasn't been stellar - and I am guessing that is one of the reasons it struggles to retain its value. But here again, the Porsche walk away with the title - as most complete and well constructed car on this planet. Again - I have not had this car long - but it feels so solid. Like nothing can break a Porsche. If my car could talk it would constantly be saying "That's it? Do it again - more...". I almost feel the car is annoyed with me during this break in period.

Overall driving is fantastic. Unlike any car like this in its class - I just enjoy driving it. It doesn't matter what I am doing or what speeds. It just makes me want to drive it. All the time. I like the somewhat "stealth/not stealthiness" quality of the car. Some people notice - some are oblivious. As a non-attention seeking individual myself, I find this both convenient and uncomfortable. It's like I am involuntarily saying to the car "surprise me".

I am excited to see what the car is capable of - but I am enjoying the process. More to come - from the track.
Great read.

The decathlete as I think once stated... but even better because it dominates so many categories with real world cars. I think you have articulated what is so hard to articulate with this car; the sheer enjoyment of just getting in, turning it on and driving fast, fucking fast with, in reality, no real worries. Its just a plug and play machine with a small back seat
Appreciate 1
vtknight966.50
      05-08-2019, 09:42 AM   #118
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep

I'd say as far as performance goes for currently produced, non limited production cars the list is

1. 720S
2. Pista
3. 600 LT
4. TTS.
5. 812 SF
6. 570S

If mclaren could just get their QC issues down they'd be unbeatable.
Appreciate 1
vtknight966.50
      05-08-2019, 10:02 AM   #119
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
Great read.

The decathlete as I think once stated... but even better because it dominates so many categories with real world cars. I think you have articulated what is so hard to articulate with this car; the sheer enjoyment of just getting in, turning it on and driving fast, fucking fast with, in reality, no real worries. Its just a plug and play machine with a small back seat
Thanks Vic - that is what I was trying to convey. No real worries - just enjoy - however you want to - as often as you'd like.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 10:05 AM   #120
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'd say as far as performance goes for currently produced, non limited production cars the list is

1. 720S
2. Pista
3. 600 LT
4. TTS.
5. 812 SF
6. 570S

If mclaren could just get their QC issues down they'd be unbeatable.
I would agree with this list. Although racing outcomes are not about money - no one said I didn't win but I'm cheaper - I will say that in the list you just presented, minus the 570S - there is a significant price point difference - and I would argue that the GT2RS - is closer (but still less from an MSRP perspective) - than those on the list and would solidly be in second place for straight line speed, and firmly be in second place for overall - if not first.

I also agree that QC issues are Mclarens bane right now. The depreciation is staggering on these cars. Maintenance is also not cheap - nor readily available.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 10:28 AM   #121
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep

I was going to include GT2RS but I believe it's limited production? I could be wrong though
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 10:34 AM   #122
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I was going to include GT2RS but I believe it's limited production? I could be wrong though
Its definitely priced over msrp LOL.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2019, 10:35 AM   #123
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
You are correct; 500 units. That said - I only bring it up as a point of price and performance. Porsche will need to bring its top mass produced car up quite a bit to match the raw performance of the Mclaren line with its ultra light V8 twin turbo setups. The 720S matches closely with the P1- straight line and road course.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 11:25 AM   #124
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep

Speaking of Mclaren, I really like the idea of their new GT car. Looks great from the camo photos. I'm sure it'll be fast as hell. And the roads in Pittsburgh are terrible so it's nice to have a car with comfort as a priority. It's why the NSX works for me here.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 11:29 AM   #125
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Speaking of Mclaren, I really like the idea of their new GT car. Looks great from the camo photos. I'm sure it'll be fast as hell. And the roads in Pittsburgh are terrible so it's nice to have a car with comfort as a priority. It's why the NSX works for me here.
I love the mag ride so much--- it just makes me smile after I take the M5 over the same stretch at similar speeds. I always wished manufacturers would add mag rides to their sedans. I do think Caddy does it with the CTS-V and my Ferrari FF had it but other than that I dont know of any.

I will say this about Porsche (no mag ride) and my GTS which uses similar damper systems to the Turbo S and has RWS (with RWD); the car soaks up the crap almost as good as my R8 and NSX. Porsche steps up in their engineering regarding this piece exceptionally well.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 02:12 PM   #126
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
Its definitely priced over msrp LOL.
Very fair point...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 02:57 PM   #127
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
The new Mclaren GT is exciting. May 15th we will know more. Again - for me - price point and build quality will be my concerns - but I am always watching lol...

Quote:
I love the mag ride so much--- it just makes me smile after I take the M5 over the same stretch at similar speeds. I always wished manufacturers would add mag rides to their sedans. I do think Caddy does it with the CTS-V and my Ferrari FF had it but other than that I dont know of any.

I will say this about Porsche (no mag ride) and my GTS which uses similar damper systems to the Turbo S and has RWS (with RWD); the car soaks up the crap almost as good as my R8 and NSX. Porsche steps up in their engineering regarding this piece exceptionally well.
I agree Vic - I had the mag ride on my Corvette and it was good - but I am super impressed with the non-mag ride in the Porsche. BMW M5 CE is solid as well...these days - the engineering is just so impressive.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 03:30 PM   #128
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

McLaren dealer network in my TriState area is bad. I can drive an hour in any direction and pass a Porsche dealer. 3hrs, 6hs, etc McLaren. Not going to work for a daily. Toy car...,possibly.
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2019, 11:41 PM   #129
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Quote:
Review update:

Great read.

Dealer told me first service is at 10k miles and no break in period when I picked up my TTS!
      08-03-2019, 02:50 PM   #130
Topspeed
fast enough
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Cayman, GTR, M235, Boxster S,

Quote:
Being fair - stock for stock - the 720S is on a different planet from everything else.

To my knowledge - the TTS is now third for all round performance - behind the Performante and 720S. Likely tied in a straight line or slightly quicker than a 570S - and on the track - fairly equal when equally shoed.
Faster in a straight line? Not even close. The 570 s murders the 991.2 Turbo S above 100 km/h. It's a full 5 seconds faster to 300 km/h. That's not remotely close.

Source: Autobild
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 07:08 PM   #131
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspeed View Post
Faster in a straight line? Not even close. The 570 s murders the 991.2 Turbo S above 100 km/h. It's a full 5 seconds faster to 300 km/h. That's not remotely close.

Source: Autobild
https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...mparison-test/

More results. Different outcome. Go figure.
Appreciate 1
vtknight966.50
      08-03-2019, 09:48 PM   #132
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...mparison-test/

More results. Different outcome. Go figure.
You continue to out-post me T lol...

To add to this example - both OnFire and myself have run 10.46 in the 1/4 - with an outstanding conditions track day allowing me to run 10.43. (That said we both have 2019's which may have an unmentioned power bump from Porsche).

So if anything Topspeeds post has helped confirm my own (that the 570S is either slower or equal to the Turbo S).

I know you mention 300 KM - but almost no one is racing to 300 KM/hr - so when we say straight line it is mostly 1/4 mile we are speaking about and maybe if you stretch it a 1/2 mile run.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
onfireX53618.50
Vic5519363.50