BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    M5 CS - A Supercar In Disguise - Catchpole on Carfection

01-12-2022, 06:13 AM   #111
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSurgeon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
I can easily see who has never driven or owned a supercar...

Do you own some or are they your dad's? I have a few at home and the CS is probably the fastest car out of my three in 0-60 and the 1/4 mile. Also has the best sound system of the three and nicest interior. All around a superb car the M5 CS is without a doubt. But for emotional and special experience, my Speciale and gated R8 twin turbo are an entirely different league. But it doesn't make the M5 CS any less special as I think it is the best sedan in the world right now and can put a lot of supercars and sports cars to shame on a back road with the right driver. I bet the average person would be faster on a back road in the CS than a lot of supercars.
Hahhaa.

Every comment by TrevorM3 starts with "my Dads….."
I was wondering the same.

Kevin Harvick
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 07:40 AM   #112
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicane_ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSurfer View Post
Quote:
Quote:
The title of the video is "super car in disguise". Meaning it has the performance and guts of a super car but dressed with too many doors and the engine in the wrong place.

I like to use the lay or the non "car guy" person as my definer of super cars. If they see it and say it's a super car than it ls a super car. They don't ruin it with stats, performance numbers or similar arguments noted in this thread. Car guys ruin cars. Never will any of the non car people call out a 4 door car as a super car. And that's a good thing. Because they should stand out. A super car should be super eye catchy, super fast, super expensive and most importantly super sexy. all that is what makes them a super car. They should stand out in every way and never blend into the crowd. You buy this M5 because you want an awesome, fast and practical car and it's a nice humble brag. You buy a super car because of the exclusivity, rarity and to let everyone know you made it.
Interesting that you didn't mention anything about the driving experience in your last sentence. I think that's the primary reason why people buy supercars.
If people bought super cars solely for driving experience, which is subjective I guess, most of the sales of those vehicles would be far lower than they are. I haven't driven many but I know Lamborghinis for a fact and as my example are insanity. The entire car is a blind spot, visibility is non existent, the cars are so low that you have to adjust your route based on the roads conditions. parking lots, parking garages and driveways? Forget about it unless you researched the spot prior. You can't even back a Lamborghini up without opening the door and sitting on the door sill or having someone guide you. All of that to me adds up to "driving experience". My M3 blows all of that out of the water. I can see everything, I can drive it on any public street and park it anywhere I want, plus the performance is more than enough for any public streets. Lamborghini on a track or an open road is probably a different story.

That being said, if money were no option, I would definitely throw a few super cars into the mix but not for the amazing "driving experience", I'm a car guy who likes beautiful cars and if I was on an island alone I'd still want one just for myself.
I never said solely for the driving experience, but rather it being a primary reason. There are people who buy these things for the experience rather than the image. In fact, the image/attention aspect may be more of a deterrent for some.

Comparing the practicality of a BMW with a Lambo is missing the point. Supercars should prioritize emotion over convenience or ease of use. My Countach offers near zero rearward visibility, has no power steering, a ridiculously stiff clutch, a useless A/C and takes 20 minutes to warm up before it changes gears smoothly (I use that term very loosely).

It's a big go kart with a bellowing V12 behind your head. I look forward to every drive.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The title of the video is "super car in disguise". Meaning it has the performance and guts of a super car but dressed with too many doors and the engine in the wrong place.

I like to use the lay or the non "car guy" person as my definer of super cars. If they see it and say it's a super car than it ls a super car. They don't ruin it with stats, performance numbers or similar arguments noted in this thread. Car guys ruin cars. Never will any of the non car people call out a 4 door car as a super car. And that's a good thing. Because they should stand out. A super car should be super eye catchy, super fast, super expensive and most importantly super sexy. all that is what makes them a super car. They should stand out in every way and never blend into the crowd. You buy this M5 because you want an awesome, fast and practical car and it's a nice humble brag. You buy a super car because of the exclusivity, rarity and to let everyone know you made it.
Interesting that you didn't mention anything about the driving experience in your last sentence. I think that's the primary reason why people buy supercars.
If people bought super cars solely for driving experience, which is subjective I guess, most of the sales of those vehicles would be far lower than they are. I haven't driven many but I know Lamborghinis for a fact and as my example are insanity. The entire car is a blind spot, visibility is non existent, the cars are so low that you have to adjust your route based on the roads conditions. parking lots, parking garages and driveways? Forget about it unless you researched the spot prior. You can't even back a Lamborghini up without opening the door and sitting on the door sill or having someone guide you. All of that to me adds up to "driving experience". My M3 blows all of that out of the water. I can see everything, I can drive it on any public street and park it anywhere I want, plus the performance is more than enough for any public streets. Lamborghini on a track or an open road is probably a different story.

That being said, if money were no option, I would definitely throw a few super cars into the mix but not for the amazing "driving experience", I'm a car guy who likes beautiful cars and if I was on an island alone I'd still want one just for myself.
I never said solely for the driving experience, but rather it being a primary reason. There are people who buy these things for the experience rather than the image. In fact, the image/attention aspect may be more of a deterrent for some.

Comparing the practicality of a BMW with a Lambo is missing the point. Supercars should prioritize emotion over convenience or ease of use. My Countach offers near zero rearward visibility, has no power steering, a ridiculously stiff clutch, a useless A/C and takes 20 minutes to warm up before it changes gears smoothly (I use that term very loosely).

It's a big go kart with a bellowing V12 behind your head. I look forward to every drive.
So is the Countach considered a supercar today? Serious question. Is this something that changes? It does still have the wow factor to some and exclusivity, but not the supercar performance of today's high performance cars.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2022, 08:11 AM   #113
RwdJesus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 g30 540i rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post
Oh boy this thread is starting to attract some hate. It's like a reverse circle jerk. Not sure if there's a name for that. Outward triangle jerk? 🙄
No. Haven't you heard?

Its shit because it isnt a $600,000 Ferrari. Get with it. Thats the new party line
Appreciate 2
      01-12-2022, 08:34 AM   #114
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

One of the reasons this car has completely hit the top of my list is the fact that it sorta makes me feel the way BMW used to where they are competing with exotic manufacturers. Remember that euro E36 ad comparing the hp per litre to Ferrari? This car feels like that. BMW punching way above its weight and dominating like it used to generations ago.

In person this car has an amazing presence. In true M5 fashion it is clearly special to those in the know but relatively stealthy otherwise. My E39 left a huge impression on me. Probably shouldn't have sold.

I'd happily buy an M5CS over any of its equally priced competitors without hesitation. There is nothing else at this price range that I can logically see myself driving every day.
      01-12-2022, 11:37 AM   #115
Chicane_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 CS + other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So is the Countach considered a supercar today? Serious question. Is this something that changes? It does still have the wow factor to some and exclusivity, but not the supercar performance of today's high performance cars.
It's a classic super car. I'm not aware of cars being 'demoted' due to age.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 12:10 PM   #116
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

Quote:
Quote:
If I was able to get a poster of it at my elementary school book-fair… it's a super car.
Appreciate 3
Ex_Stig2594.00
Chicane_1050.00
      01-12-2022, 02:46 PM   #117
Chicane_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post
Quote:
Quote:
If I was able to get a poster of it at my elementary school book-fair… it's a super car.
Still looks pretty super to me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Egrunt553.00
BMWM5NYC496.00
      01-12-2022, 04:58 PM   #118
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Chicane is that your Rolls? What else you got?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 05:18 PM   #119
Chicane_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not my Rolls. I have a smattering of different classic and modern exotics from various manufacturers (Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari, McLaren, AMG) plus a few Bimmers (M2 CS, M5 CS, M4 GTS).
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 06:54 AM   #120
Jaymelo238
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw f90 m5

Quote:
Quote:
Not my Rolls. I have a smattering of different classic and modern exotics from various manufacturers (Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari, McLaren, AMG) plus a few Bimmers (M2 CS, M5 CS, M4 GTS).
I love Mclarens , they are fast but they are the biggest piece of shit in terms of quality.

Nightmare stories of lemon cars and cars staying in the shop.

I hope the new Artura can change that!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 07:13 AM   #121
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymelo238 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I love Mclarens , they are fast but they are the biggest piece of shit in terms of quality.

Which Mclarens have you owned? I was interested in the Artura as my first but might just end up with a used F12. I'm not happy with the sound of the 6 cylinder.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 07:22 AM   #122
Chicane_
Lieutenant
Rep

I've owned 5 (still have 3) and have had pretty good luck with them. Obviously not perfect but certainly nothing that has scared me away from the brand. I also have friends who own them so I'd probably hear about their horror stories if they had any.

I generally prefer real world experience and direct evidence vs anecdotal experiences posted by internet strangers.
Appreciate 2
Ex_Stig2594.00
      01-13-2022, 07:33 AM   #123
Chicane_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixbmwlife View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Which Mclarens have you owned? I was interested in the Artura as my first but might just end up with a used F12. I'm not happy with the sound of the 6 cylinder.
My advice is to grab a 675LT. They're a bargain and still the most exciting car that McLaren has made in my opinion.
Appreciate 2
      01-13-2022, 09:43 PM   #124
Jaymelo238
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw f90 m5

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I had the 570s for a little while and had so many electrical problems. I will be going for either the Hurcan sto or 812 Ferrari. I am sure Mclaren will fix this since they are one of the best , it's just Ferrari and Lamborghini have been making cars longer.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2022, 10:23 PM   #125
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My advice is to grab a 675LT. They're a bargain and still the most exciting car that McLaren has made in my opinion.
I'm so jealous of you Americans.

When you say get 675LT, because it's a bargain, the cheapest one in Australia is over half a mill and certainly not a bargain
      01-14-2022, 08:16 PM   #126
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

I'm not saying it's a bad car by any means….but I don't feel it looks amazing. The colors seem boring. Then add in the $25k markup or whatever some dealers are charging? Hard pass.

For that much, I'd buy something more exotic. Just my 0.02.
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 09:22 PM   #127
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
I'm not saying it's a bad car by any means….but I don't feel it looks amazing. The colors seem boring. Then add in the $25k markup or whatever some dealers are charging? Hard pass.

Lol when you buy something more exotic you will still have to pay a premium. Everything exotic is selling for over MSRP. If you can get an allocation.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2022, 09:43 PM   #128
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

Quote:
Lol when you buy something more exotic you will still have to pay a premium. Everything exotic is selling for over MSRP. If you can get an allocation.
Oh no doubt.....the M5CS just isn't something I'd pay a premium for (meaning over MSRP).
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 11:22 PM   #129
Kstoff125
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW m4

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Get the F12 over any maclaren. There is something special about a Ferrari. Anyone that has visited Maranello will agree
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2022, 10:07 AM   #130
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post

to me that is 100% its appeal.
      01-15-2022, 04:24 PM   #131
AbdullahMDM
Enlisted Member
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 Competition Edition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehorseshoe View Post
You're missing the subtleties of his praiseful comments, Trevor. It's about the total package. It is indeed 'magic' how BMW's tuned this car. I still scratch my head every time I take it out. Not easy to make a car with such dynamics so enjoyable at two-tenths normal road driving. Far from perfect, of course. But for a $150k luxury sedan (cheap relative to many alternatives), it's just about as close as they come.
Where can I find one for 150k? last time I checked they were going for 180k + with mileage on them. Brand new ones are going for around 200k in Saudi Arabia
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 04:30 PM   #132
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdullahMDM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehorseshoe View Post
You're missing the subtleties of his praiseful comments, Trevor. It's about the total package. It is indeed 'magic' how BMW's tuned this car. I still scratch my head every time I take it out. Not easy to make a car with such dynamics so enjoyable at two-tenths normal road driving. Far from perfect, of course. But for a $150k luxury sedan (cheap relative to many alternatives), it's just about as close as they come.
Where can I find one for 150k? last time I checked they were going for 180k + with mileage on them. Brand new ones are going for around 200k in Saudi Arabia

You should feel lucky you don't live in Australia

Try this for a head-spinner

Check out this 2021 BMW M5 CS F90 LCI Auto M xDrive.
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...AG-AD-20173213