BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery    Shipping by Air from LAX to Frankfurt

06-17-2020, 12:17 PM   #1
RoboM5
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 - Space Gray

Shipping by Air from LAX to Frankfurt

Please help a brother out and let me know of a good freight forwarder to use to ship an M5 by air from LAX to Frankfurt round trip. I am headed to drive the Nurburgring for the 4 time and want to drive an M5. I have only found one to rent, but even if I did it about $5K grand a day, easy for as many laps I do, so I am checking to see if shipping my car is another option.

If anyone has a contact for renting an M5 in the first week of October that can be used on the Nordschleife, I would prefer that direction.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Current ///M: '19 F90 M5CP Donnington Grey/CCB/MPE/MP full carbon
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 11:34 AM   #2
bruza
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 M5 & '06 Volvo S60 R

Not one reply yet so I'll bite.

I'm shocked to hear renting an M5 for a day there is $5k. That would get you track time for a couple exotics here.

I'd also expect German customs to hold your car if it's even allowed on the plane. I'm not aware of "holiday" temporary registration available overseas.

My suggestion, find a cheaper rental option in a nearby city out there.

2021 M5 Competition Marina Bay Blue/ Individual Tartufo/ Individual Piano Black Trim. Took delivery 11/27/2020
2017 X5 ///M Silverstone/Mugello Red/ Carbon Fiber Trim Turned in 11/27/2020

Last edited by bruza; 06-19-2020 at 06:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
RoboM513.00
      06-18-2020, 05:19 PM   #3
Quickburn7
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Bmw M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboM5 View Post
Please help a brother out and let me know of a good freight forwarder to use to ship an M5 by air from LAX to Frankfurt round trip. I am headed to drive the Nurburgring for the 4 time and want to drive an M5. I have only found one to rent, but even if I did it about $5K grand a day, easy for as many laps I do, so I am checking to see if shipping my car is another option.

If anyone has a contact for renting an M5 in the first week of October that can be used on the Nordschleife, I would prefer that direction.

Thanks.
You can contact JP logistics or Cars Europe. It's about $15- 20k from west coast to Europe ( Italy) each way.
Appreciate 1
RoboM513.00
      06-19-2020, 07:07 AM   #4
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboM5 View Post
Please help a brother out and let me know of a good freight forwarder to use to ship an M5 by air from LAX to Frankfurt round trip. I am headed to drive the Nurburgring for the 4 times and want to drive an M5. I have only found one to rent, but even if I did it about $5K grand a day, easy for as many laps I do, so I am checking to see if shipping my car is another option.

Thanks.
Quickburn7
bruza

Agree, you may be able to get more exotic cars or a track-spec car locally vs. an M5.

I would recommend reaching out to BMW of Germany.

They do have track days at the burg and even have M4 GT4 options.

https://www.bmw-drivingexperience.co...nstrecken.html

Tel.: +49 (0) 89 1250 16 444
Montag - Freitag: 8:00 - 17:00 Uhr
E-Mail: drivingexperience@bmw.de

5K for all-day in an M5 if including track insurance (whats the deducible/terms) is reasonable. If your able to do as many laps as possible, you could kill a set of tires, pads/rotors pretty quickly.

Additionally, you can rent any BMW from Bmw at various locations in Germany. https://bmw-rent.de/select-vehicle

M5 is 169 euros a day, while I bet the fine print will say not for track usage. It doesn't mean if you're staying in the area, you couldn't rent one to use outside of the track then do a track experience using someone else's car or an official BMW track day - if your vacationing a few additional days. (Not sure if the rental cost includes insurance, but knowing BMW it probably does- but would confirm the fine print) I

You can also rent from Sixt https://www.sixt.com/#/reservation/offerconfig

For a week (7days), the M5 is around 2,200 euros, with all the extra insurance options picked and 1800km (1,100 miles). The fine print may say no track liability, but you would have to call and pretend to be someone else to get the details. But a third party insurance company could/may cover that.

Last edited by DocWeatherington; 06-19-2020 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 1
RoboM513.00
      06-24-2020, 06:07 AM   #5
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Audi R8, 2023 Audi S8

A few years ago I did the Audi R8 Experience that was 4 days in an R8 V10 Plus from Munich to Lake Garda, IT and back. Insurance, fuel, hotels and meals all included. Came out to less than $6000 for 2 people. Did not go to the track, but did drive on the autobahn.
Appreciate 1
RoboM513.00
      07-31-2020, 03:14 AM   #6
trey30333
Rep
Drives: on #7 M car

Did you check BMW World? Last December I saw a sheet of paper on a check-in desk showing every single BMW model and their hourly or daily rental rates.
Appreciate 1
RoboM513.00
      08-06-2020, 04:47 PM   #7
350doc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 530d M Sport Touring X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruza View Post
Not one reply yet so I'll bite.

I'm shocked to hear renting an M5 for a day there is $5k. That would get you track time for a couple exotics here.

I'd also expect German customs to hold your car if it's even allowed on the plane. I'm not aware of "holiday" temporary registration available overseas.

My suggestion, find a cheaper rental option in a nearby city out there.
I don’t know the air freight costs, but you can take the car on ‘holiday’; you need a ‘Carnet de Passages en Douane’. I used when when I shipped my car from the U.K. to New Zealand. No hassles on arrival, as any potential duty (if the car wasn’t returned) is guaranteed by the carnet issuer.
Appreciate 0