BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Turbo Blanket Install - Funk Motorsport

03-05-2023, 07:05 PM   #1
Jambo1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C /// 2023 XDrive40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Turbo Blanket Install - Funk Motorsport

The amount of heat emanating from this engine - even after many hours remaining parked after a drive in the Texas heat - always left questions regarding the longevity of components and materials in the engine compartment. This is unlike any other car I've ever owned.

At 15K miles, fortunately the condition of my coolant tanks still appear excellent - and this is one component I can't help but think is affected by the high heat to some degree, becoming a cumbersome issue for many of us on this platform. There are plenty of reasons for the use of turbo blankets (keeping the cold inlet side of the turbo cooler, faster spool, reducing engine compartment ambient temperatures for potential longer life of components).

The best starting point for proof of benefits stem from a 2016 University of Texas study performed by its Mechanical Engineering department.

The choice between the PTP and Funk Motorsport (U.K.) version of the turbo blanket was not an easy one. The PTP one is more of a shroud that lays over the hot side of the turbos and the following catalytic converters. The Funk Motorsport version encompasses the hot side of the turbos really well. I decided to get the Funk ones, and the quality is excellent.

Pictures of my install follow, but some points to note:

This was a PIA of an install. Tear down was quick, and I had to remove other smaller heat shields protecting the vent pipes from the turbo inlets, wires and tubes, to try to get as many things out of the way. There is just no space in this engine, and getting the blankets installed was just annoying. Using a series of zip ties to get the springs onto the other side aided in actually being able to hook the blankets appropriately. Some people don't use the supplied springs (high quality by the way), and use wire instead, but I really wanted to use the supplied kit as intended and much of it just became a mental challenge to overcome.

I also did not want the cats exposed as there is no way to retain the primary shield once the blankets are on. I decided to cut that shield and retain two of the four mounting points, and did not worry about the stability of the shield in its place because the unit is captured by the cups by way of the oxygen sensors screwed back in. It was pointless solving one problem with the blankets, and not trying to retain that shield and potentially introducing another problem of higher heat with exposed cats at the firewall.

Hope this helps anybody that may want to install turbo blankets. I may replace the modified shield with a modified PTP blanket, or any solution that Funk may offer.

Torque spec for oxygen sensors is 50Nm.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jambo1; 03-05-2023 at 07:15 PM..
Appreciate 3
JOHNBMWM51990.00
M5 London344.50
omgmike359.00
      03-05-2023, 07:34 PM   #2
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Great pictures, good write up. There isn’t a way to trim less of the primary shield and deforming it to have more of it over the Funk blankets? Might not look as clean but might be more effective? Have you tried to determine how hot the Funk shields get on the exterior surface?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 07:44 PM   #3
Jambo1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
I think one could conceivably do that and deform the shield to try and get it to sit above the blankets. But it is quite a hardy piece, and by the way it’s formed from factory, it’s strength is multiplied due to its bends and creases - if that makes sense.

In this case, I knew that with the blankets being superior to the shield in heat management, my sole goal with retaining the shield was to retain some cover over the cats.
Reventon Splitter /// Reventon Diffuser /// Addlights M Door LEDs /// Dinan Inlets /// Gentleman's Switch /// Paddleshifterz With Piano Black Steering Wheel Trim /// Charcoal Filter Delete /// Piano Black Side Skirts /// Funk Motorsports Turbo Blankets
Appreciate 1
TTV8M125.00
      03-05-2023, 07:51 PM   #4
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo1 View Post
But it is quite a hardy piece, and by the way it’s formed from factory, it’s strength is multiplied due to its bends and creases - if that makes sense.
A stamped piece like that is rigid as hell for sure. I imagine cutting holes in strategic spots would allow for some flexing at least if bending isn't practical or possible. I have no experience with them, but isn't there heat sensitive tape that could be used to determine a temp on the shields?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 08:53 PM   #5
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Looks good and the pictures will help others who are interested. I did this last year with DEI GT22 turbo blankets. At the time, I found them on sale on ebay for under $100 each. They were a tight fit as well, but I was able to refit the factory stamped steel heat shield to most of its mounting bolts.

There is a secondary shield above that and I used DEI fiberglass reflective heat tape on its underside. I applied the same tape to the underside of the coolant tanks that mount on top of this shield.

No doubt the turbo blankets help with heat by containing it more in the turbine housings, but there is still a lot of heat in the V of the V8 from the exhaust manifold under the turbos and primary cats. Blankets might limit its rise and protect the coolant tanks, but I am curious about the effect of the heat on the engine over time. The primary cats are big heat radiators as well. I don’t think you are supposed to wrap or cost cats so the only heat reduction option for them is catless and that is not legal and requires a non-USA sourced tune to get rid of the CEL.

Having the turbos in the V does make them really efficient and responsive and the M5 seems to have a good cooling system to deal with the heat soak under low speed operation, as well as good under hood venting when moving at speed. I have changed most of my cars to Evans coolant over the past 25 years but may not convert the F90 though I prefer a cooling system that operates at lower pressure than the factory system.

Last edited by pbonsalb; 03-06-2023 at 06:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 05:31 AM   #6
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Funk reply

I wrote to Funk asking if they had measured temperatures on the outside of their shields and they replied that using a thermal imaging gun they found temperatures around 100 C (212 F). They didn’t specify which model of turbo this was measured from, but with our coolant tank right above that part of the engine I was hoping for less heat. No wonder we have problems, what’s the temp without the Funk shield?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 10:19 AM   #7
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
I wrote to Funk asking if they had measured temperatures on the outside of their shields and they replied that using a thermal imaging gun they found temperatures around 100 C (212 F). They didn’t specify which model of turbo this was measured from, but with our coolant tank right above that part of the engine I was hoping for less heat. No wonder we have problems, what’s the temp without the Funk shield?
thats a lot higher than i was expecting. Some of those lava rock blankets and wraps i have seen people able to put their hand on it.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 11:05 AM   #8
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Even doing everything possible, it will still be a very hot engine bay. You won’t be putting your hand on much in there.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 12:04 PM   #9
Jambo1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
thats a lot higher than i was expecting. Some of those lava rock blankets and wraps i have seen people able to put their hand on it.
It's this. For Funk specifically, there are numerous "tests" with folks holding a torch to it, while holding the blanket with an unprotected hand.

I also just did a 2 hour drive, and for the first time I could simply lay my hand on the engine cover and it was warm. Before it was hot as heck. I'm sold on their stuff for sure.
Reventon Splitter /// Reventon Diffuser /// Addlights M Door LEDs /// Dinan Inlets /// Gentleman's Switch /// Paddleshifterz With Piano Black Steering Wheel Trim /// Charcoal Filter Delete /// Piano Black Side Skirts /// Funk Motorsports Turbo Blankets
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 12:15 PM   #10
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=Jambo1;29907955) I also just did a 2 hour drive, and for the first time I could simply lay my hand on the engine cover and it was warm. Before it was hot as heck. I'm sold on their stuff for sure.[/QUOTE]

That’s great news! I was about to post the words below, but maybe the Funk covers will do the trick.

Your modified shield with an added blanket over the Funk covers might be the best solution. But even with that, as pbonsalb says, “a very hot engine bay.” Although hopefully that double layer of heat protection would avert coolant reservoir leakage. A lot of expense to save a $140 part though.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 12:49 PM   #11
916_M5
IG: @M5RCY_
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5

Thank you so much for this write up OP. I am in the same situation, trying to decide between Funk and PTP.

Like you, I favored Funk as it wraps around the ENTIRE turbo where the PTP is more of a blanket on top as you said. Given that you had to CUT Your heat shield to install back on top of the primary cats, wouldnt you say the PTP blanket takes care of both? Both covering the turbos and covering the primary cats?

When you install a PTP blanket, you will not be able to install the factory shield is that correct ?

I am about to pull the trigger on a blanket and I am leaning toward PTP for ease of installation and the fact that it does cover the primary cats.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 01:08 PM   #12
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

As I understand, with the PTP blanket you do not use the lower heat shield. You could still put heat reflective tape under the upper one (I put heat reflective tape on the underside of it for whatever that is worth).

The blanket covering the cats probably helps protect the coolant tank the most since the cats are huge and hot. Going catless with wrapped pipes would also help if that is an option for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 01:10 PM   #13
Jambo1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 916_M5 View Post
Thank you so much for this write up OP. I am in the same situation, trying to decide between Funk and PTP.

Like you, I favored Funk as it wraps around the ENTIRE turbo where the PTP is more of a blanket on top as you said. Given that you had to CUT Your heat shield to install back on top of the primary cats, wouldnt you say the PTP blanket takes care of both? Both covering the turbos and covering the primary cats?

When you install a PTP blanket, you will not be able to install the factory shield is that correct ?

I am about to pull the trigger on a blanket and I am leaning toward PTP for ease of installation and the fact that it does cover the primary cats.

Any feedback is appreciated.
From an ease of install, go with PTP.

From ensuring you’re maximizing heat retention and gas efficiency within turbos (and alleged better quality material), go with Funk. The more the turbos are encapsulated, the better. The PTP one does not do this.

Turbos will have higher temperatures than the following cats, and discussions on whether cats should or should not be covered at the risk of diminishing their lifespan - well, there are two schools of thought with this, and honestly, exhaust gas efficiency is increased with more regulated gas temperatures passing through the cats. Cats won’t “overheat” unless there are underlying emissions issues with the car.

Since my post above, I’ve been in discussions with Funk about their options on covering my cats with the same blanket material. They had a good idea of using their pipe blankets and just turning them 90 degrees to be able to encompass the larger girth of the cats.

I only cut the heat shield to ensure at least something was covering the cats. It would be going backwards on the goal for heat management if this was discarded.

I do have to reiterate, that the engine compartment is so much cooler to the touch. That was my primary goal - and not really anything else. I have noticed faster spool and better throttle response.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 01:15 PM   #14
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
From an ease of install, go with PTP.

From ensuring you’re maximizing heat retention and gas efficiency within turbos (and alleged better quality material), go with Funk. The more the turbos are encapsulated, the better. The PTP one does not do this.

Turbos will have higher temperatures than the following cats, and discussions on whether cats should or should not be covered at the risk of diminishing their lifespan - well, there are two schools of thought with this, and honestly, exhaust gas efficiency is increased with more regulated gas temperatures passing through the cats. Cats won’t “overheat” unless there are underlying emissions issues with the car.

Since my post above, I’ve been in discussions with Funk about their options on covering my cats with the same blanket material. They had a good idea of using their pipe blankets and just turning them 90 degrees to be able to encompass the larger girth of the cats.

I only cut the heat shield to ensure at least something was covering the cats. It would be going backwards on the goal for heat management if this was discarded.

I do have to reiterate, that the engine compartment is so much cooler to the touch. That was my primary goal - and not really anything else. I have noticed faster spool and better throttle response.

Hope this helps.
I just noticed you are in Southlake. Want to install mine?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 01:27 PM   #15
Jambo1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
I just noticed you are in Southlake. Want to install mine?
It will cost ya LOL! Happy to help where I can though.

I’ve only been doing the Cars & Coffee stuff around here lately. Any M5 specific stuff in DFW?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 01:53 PM   #16
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

These are tiny turbos. Yes, turbines are hotter than cats, but the cats are absolutely massive compared to the turbines and are also hot (not as hot but still hot). Covering, wrapping, coating them will do more than putting turbine housing wraps on the turbos.

As for faster spool or improved throttle response, I think it is probably more something you would like to have resulted from all the work rather than anything measurable. These are tiny turbos are super responsive. Retaining the heat in them won’t have anything remotely like the effect of retaining the heat in a big slow lazy turbo. I did not perceive any difference. Install catless secondaries and you will notice something. Install high flow cat or catless primaries and you will notice something. Install both and you will notice even more.

Last edited by pbonsalb; 03-08-2023 at 06:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
omgmike359.00
      03-08-2023, 03:34 PM   #17
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It will cost ya LOL! Happy to help where I can though.

I’ve only been doing the Cars & Coffee stuff around here lately. Any M5 specific stuff in DFW?
Nothing M5 specific that I am aware of. There used t be monthly general car meets at Lava Cantina in The Colony but I have not seen those in a while. I see a few M5 around me in Frisco and there are a few here on this forum but no meets.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 06:48 PM   #18
F10Mfizzy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 f10 mfizzzzzy

Quote:
The amount of heat emanating from this engine - even after many hours remaining parked after a drive in the Texas heat - always left questions regarding the longevity of components and materials in the engine compartment. This is unlike any other car I've ever owned.

At 15K miles, fortunately the condition of my coolant tanks still appear excellent - and this is one component I can't help but think is affected by the high heat to some degree, becoming a cumbersome issue for many of us on this platform. There are plenty of reasons for the use of turbo blankets (keeping the cold inlet side of the turbo cooler, faster spool, reducing engine compartment ambient temperatures for potential longer life of components).

The best starting point for proof of benefits stem from a 2016 University of Texas study performed by its Mechanical Engineering department.

The choice between the PTP and Funk Motorsport (U.K.) version of the turbo blanket was not an easy one. The PTP one is more of a shroud that lays over the hot side of the turbos and the following catalytic converters. The Funk Motorsport version encompasses the hot side of the turbos really well. I decided to get the Funk ones, and the quality is excellent.

Pictures of my install follow, but some points to note:

This was a PIA of an install. Tear down was quick, and I had to remove other smaller heat shields protecting the vent pipes from the turbo inlets, wires and tubes, to try to get as many things out of the way. There is just no space in this engine, and getting the blankets installed was just annoying. Using a series of zip ties to get the springs onto the other side aided in actually being able to hook the blankets appropriately. Some people don't use the supplied springs (high quality by the way), and use wire instead, but I really wanted to use the supplied kit as intended and much of it just became a mental challenge to overcome.

I also did not want the cats exposed as there is no way to retain the primary shield once the blankets are on. I decided to cut that shield and retain two of the four mounting points, and did not worry about the stability of the shield in its place because the unit is captured by the cups by way of the oxygen sensors screwed back in. It was pointless solving one problem with the blankets, and not trying to retain that shield and potentially introducing another problem of higher heat with exposed cats at the firewall.

Hope this helps anybody that may want to install turbo blankets. I may replace the modified shield with a modified PTP blanket, or any solution that Funk may offer.

Torque spec for oxygen sensors is 50Nm.

If you don’t mind can you post the exact link for those blankets you used ? I’m interested in them this is a great thread thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 09:32 PM   #19
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

https://funkmotorsport.com/product/f...turbo-blanket/

DEI also makes them for the GT22 turbo. https://www.designengineering.com/ti...t-gt22-shield/

PTP makes a blanket that lays on top of the turbines and cats. It may be listed as F10 M5 but people have used them on F90.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2023, 12:15 AM   #20
omgmike
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
These are tiny turbos. Yes, turbines are hotter than cats, but the cats are absolutely massive compared to the turbines and are also hot (not as hot but still hot). Covering, wrapping, coating them will do more than putting turbine housing wraps on the turbos.

As for faster spool or improved throttle response, I think it is probably more something you would like to have resulted from all the work rather than anything measurable. These are tiny turbos are super responsive. Retaining the heat in them won’t have anything remotely like the effect of retaining the heat in a big slow lazy turbo. I did not perceive any difference. Install catless secondaries and you will notice something. Install high flow cat or catless primaries and you will notice something. Install both and you will notice even more.
This. All of this.

Airflow > insulation will always be the winner, and significantly improved airflow will actually deliver lower overall operating temps as the heat is exhausted from the engine/turbos/engine bay faster.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 11:21 AM   #21
916_M5
IG: @M5RCY_
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5

I too just installed my turbo blanket from PTP Turbo Blankets. This is just ONE piece that rests over the back of the turbines and downpipes. I saw other forum members cut the OE heat shield to install this blanket, I opted not to cut it.

I got some pointers from m5 guy as he is running the same blanket. Install was pretty straightforward, removal of the upper mounting bracket/shield and removal of the coolant tank was the hardest part, but as you can see in the pictures we simply moved it to the side.

The shear space, or lack there of, between the OE shield and the upper mounting bracket is what is keeping the blanket in place. During install, applying some heat to the blanket allowed for a better form fit, really took the time to mold the blanket the best I could around the turbines and primary cats.

I took some engine bay temp readings PRE install with an infrared thermometer. I have not had the time to go for a long hard drive to compare engine bay temp readings but I will soon and report back to the forum with my findings. My goal with this upgrades was the same as OP, to reduce engine bay temps and extend the life of the components, most importantly the coolant reservoir.

Great job OP. Definitely recommend this upgrade to others and install was pretty straightforward. Thank you PTP Blankets!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 05:19 PM   #22
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 916_M5 View Post
I too just installed my turbo blanket from PTP Turbo Blankets. This is just ONE piece that rests over the back of the turbines and downpipes. I saw other forum members cut the OE heat shield to install this blanket, I opted not to cut it.

I got some pointers from m5 guy as he is running the same blanket. Install was pretty straightforward, removal of the upper mounting bracket/shield and removal of the coolant tank was the hardest part, but as you can see in the pictures we simply moved it to the side.

The shear space, or lack there of, between the OE shield and the upper mounting bracket is what is keeping the blanket in place. During install, applying some heat to the blanket allowed for a better form fit, really took the time to mold the blanket the best I could around the turbines and primary cats.

I took some engine bay temp readings PRE install with an infrared thermometer. I have not had the time to go for a long hard drive to compare engine bay temp readings but I will soon and report back to the forum with my findings. My goal with this upgrades was the same as OP, to reduce engine bay temps and extend the life of the components, most importantly the coolant reservoir.

Great job OP. Definitely recommend this upgrade to others and install was pretty straightforward. Thank you PTP Blankets!
So what is the before blanket and after blanket temperatures? Were any modifications necessary?
Appreciate 0