F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Tesla Touch Screen "Distracting"
ARMA SPEED

08-05-2020, 02:04 PM   #1
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

Tesla Touch Screen "Distracting"

According to a German court:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53666222

Interesting verdict, and surprising (or perhaps not) that Tesla bury something like wiper speed under a series of menus.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17595.50
      08-05-2020, 02:11 PM   #2
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Hmm needs voice control at the least for things like that.
      08-05-2020, 02:23 PM   #3
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Hmm needs voice control at the least for things like that.
But for a German car? "I'm sorry, you want me to turn the vipers up?"
Appreciate 1
JustChris17595.50
      08-05-2020, 02:36 PM   #4
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Voice control is shat in my experience in all of the German cars I've owned

"Call Lapworld...."

"Calling mum...."

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 02:40 PM   #5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

The whole touch screen only thing is going to be bumpy occasionally. What if a screen breaks and you cant see anything? Easily done if your loading stuff from band q with the boot open and seats down, or loading up for a tip run.

What happens if the screen goes off mid drive?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 02:56 PM   #6
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
The whole touch screen only thing is going to be bumpy occasionally. What if a screen breaks and you cant see anything? Easily done if your loading stuff from band q with the boot open and seats down, or loading up for a tip run.

Had this in the RRS could change much music or Nav use for about an hour.
      08-05-2020, 03:16 PM   #7
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

The problem isn't with touchscreens, it's with manufacturers putting everything possible on the touchscreens, so they can save on loom, switchgear, etc.

Certain manufacturers have ventilation, aircon (including temp adjustment, air flow), heated seats, wipers (as in the Tesla case), nav, audio volume and source, heated seats, all controlled from the touchscreen.

It's being done to save money - the multifunction steering wheel is probably quite expensive to build and install. If they can skip all that and just put it into a bit of software coding on an ipad, then they're going to do it.

My wife's Subaru has nav and audio all changed by the touchscreen. It's downright dangerous trying to make any changes on the move. Volume and audio source is also on the steering wheel in her car, so it's not as bad as it could be.
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2020, 03:34 PM   #8
pmgreenwood
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D se auto sold, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post

I was At Goodwood FOS in 2018 where Tesla presented the 3 on a stand. The chap in front of me in the queue asked the Tesla rep ( by his accent straight off a plane from LA) what happens if the screen fails as the smaller on had done on his Merc driving to Goodwood. The Tesla Rep replied. Merc are a car company, sir, we are a tech company ours don't fail"

On the wider front, I have found voice control systems have got better and better, I do think a few old fashioned switches plus voice control is the way to go
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 03:50 PM   #9
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgreenwood View Post
I was At Goodwood FOS in 2018 where Tesla presented the 3 on a stand. The chap in front of me in the queue asked the Tesla rep ( by his accent straight off a plane from LA) what happens if the screen fails as the smaller on had done on his Merc driving to Goodwood. The Tesla Rep replied. Merc are a car company, sir, we are a tech company ours don't fail"

On the wider front, I have found voice control systems have got better and better, I do think a few old fashioned switches plus voice control is the way to go
I quite like voice control, but it's slow. First I have to say the wake word (ZumZum in my case), then I have to wait for it to respond (hello, what can I help you with today), then I have to say it, then I have to wait for confirmation (did you say you'd like to activate the fire extinguisher), then I have to confirm/correct what I said, by which time we're about half a mile down the road.

It's all a classic case of working to what the tech can do, rather than what the user needs.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 03:55 PM   #10
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby View Post
Quote:

I quite like voice control, but it's slow. First I have to say the wake word (ZumZum in my case), then I have to wait for it to respond (hello, what can I help you with today), then I have to say it, then I have to wait for confirmation (did you say you'd like to activate the fire extinguisher), then I have to confirm/correct what I said, by which time we're about half a mile down the road.

It's all a classic case of working to what the tech can do, rather than what the user needs.
Don't wait for it to wake. That's a mistake many people make when I see them try it my car.

Just blurt out the whole "Hey BMW set destination to Paris'. It's just a fire and forget..

Versus...

'Hey BMW'
Bit of a wait......
Then wait for her to say 'How can I help?'.....
Then you say .....
'Set destination to Paris'

Wasn't meant to be patronising but I also see all the family not do this at home with Alexa. The extra wait for her to respond and the fact this initiates a 'what can I do?' type response slows it so much.
      08-05-2020, 04:02 PM   #11
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Don't wait for it to wake. That's a mistake many people make when I see them try it my car.

Just blurt out the whole "Hey BMW set destination to Paris'. It's just a fire and forget..

Versus...

'Hey BMW'
Bit of a wait......
Then wait for her to say 'How can I help?'.....
Then you say .....
'Set destination to Paris'

Wasn't meant to be patronising but I also see all the family not do this at home with Alexa. The extra wait for her to respond and the fact this initiates a 'what can I do?' type response slows it so much.
Thanks, I've tried that and I only ever seem to get half way through before I get "Hello, how can I help you". Maybe I need to speak quicker?

Good to know it works for you though, I'll have a little play.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 01:30 AM   #12
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Exactly - using a touchscreen instead of a stalk to control the wipers is a solution to a problem that never existed.

The merits of touchscreens have been discussed on other threads on here in the past and I'm still firmly of the view they're a poor option in a car; quite possibly cheaper for the manufacturer than having switches and stalks but less safe to use on the move IMO.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 02:56 AM   #13
aquazi
Major
Rep
Drives: 18 M4C

I briefly had a model 3.

Took me a good few drives to work out the menu's and for that time they were a huge distraction... simple things like wipers and ac.

However once i worked out the placement to touch i could do it without looking - so no real distraction (apart from when a bump made you press somewhere you didnt mean to)

Maybe all bmw's should move the indicator controls within idrive and save some money on the stalks.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 03:14 AM   #14
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquazi View Post
I briefly had a model 3.

Took me a good few drives to work out the menu's and for that time they were a huge distraction... simple things like wipers and ac.

However once i worked out the placement to touch i could do it without looking - so no real distraction (apart from when a bump made you press somewhere you didnt mean to)

Maybe all bmw's should move the indicator controls within idrive and save some money on the stalks.
: keep it physical please
      08-06-2020, 03:40 AM   #15
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

It's a car, lets keep it simple to operate and your eyes on the road please.
...and that interior
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 05:33 AM   #16
saltyamigo
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Yes

Not sure of the software version when this happened, but there is no need to go through any menus, push the end of the stalk and the wiper comes on and the controls automatically come up on screen. Have found the auto wipers to work well although I believe they were poor until they were improved with a software update. Does take a bit of getting used to but not much worse than cars with controls on the opposite sides where you indicate instead of switching the wipers on. There is also voice control for the wipers. I would still prefer a normal stalk arrangement than the on screen controls although like BMW you barely need to touch anything once set to auto.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 09:09 AM   #17
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncho View Post

"Call Lapworld...."

"Calling mum...."

Is that because it mixed up her home and work numbers?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 10:11 AM   #18
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB118D View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncho View Post

"Call Lapworld...."

"Calling mum...."

Is that because it mixed up her home and work numbers?
Christ it took a while, getting a bit slow around here recently.
Appreciate 1
DB118D1039.50
      08-06-2020, 10:37 AM   #19
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquazi View Post
I briefly had a model 3.

Tesla have a bit of a reputation for releasing software updates, you get into your car in the morning and the screen layout and control placement has all changed.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 11:23 AM   #20
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Reading the report, the heading on this thread could be turned into "any touch screen found distracting".

It wasn't Tesla that was found to be at fault, rather the driver for becoming distracted by 'a touch screen'.

I do think Tesla rely on the pad too much. I don't think it is a cost issue more an ideologic one. They are hell bent on being anti car establishment.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 07:10 AM   #21
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyamigo View Post
there is no need to go through any menus, push the end of the stalk and the wiper comes on and the controls automatically come up on screen.
Yep, this.

That's a good part of having a Tesla. For example the reverse camera. People canvassed Tesla to utilise the side cameras to give a surround view. Then a software update gets pushed to everyone, and we all have surround view as standard.

Also you can use Autopilot to help you out, i.e. searching for a function on the menus, just click Autopilot on and let the car drive itself. Sounds terrifying, but in practice works very well.
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 1