BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Shipping a M5...Enclosed or Open Trailer?

02-04-2019, 08:49 PM   #1
dardeca
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Shipping a M5...Enclosed or Open Trailer?

My M5 should arrive to my dealer in the Midwest sometime in March...at which time I'll need to get it shipped to me in Texas. I'd started to do a little research on transport carriers and also reached out to my dealer. In talking to my CA, they have a few carriers they utilize frequently, but they are all open transport trailers. I was planning on shipping the car enclosed, but my CA seems to think that open with their preferred carriers is fine.

I had heard a few horror stories about cars picking up damage on the front end from road debris while in transport on open trailers. But I also know BMW ships their cars on open trailers...so maybe it's okay.

Anyone have any thoughts? Is road debris unlikely while shipping on an open transport? The price difference between open and enclosed is about $600...so price isn't an issue.
      02-04-2019, 08:57 PM   #2
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by dardeca View Post
My M5 should arrive to my dealer in the Midwest sometime in March...at which time I'll need to get it shipped to me in Texas. I'd started to do a little research on transport carriers and also reached out to my dealer. In talking to my CA, they have a few carriers they utilize frequently, but they are all open transport trailers. I was planning on shipping the car enclosed, but my CA seems to think that open with their preferred carriers is fine.

I had heard a few horror stories about cars picking up damage on the front end from road debris while in transport on open trailers. But I also know BMW ships their cars on open trailers...so maybe it's okay.

Anyone have any thoughts? Is road debris unlikely while shipping on an open transport? The price difference between open and enclosed is about $600...so price isn't an issue.
Enclosed and I've had great luck with montway. Customer service is great too.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 09:06 PM   #3
dardeca
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexplode View Post
Is Montway a broker/agent...or are they shipping using their own trucks/drivers?
      02-04-2019, 09:16 PM   #4
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Closed trailer only!
      02-04-2019, 09:24 PM   #5
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Quote:
Quote:
Is Montway a broker/agent...or are they shipping using their own trucks/drivers?
Broker.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 09:26 PM   #6
desertfox73
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 / 2018 F85

I've always had mine shipped open, with no issues. On the contrary, when I was shopping for a new X5M, one of the ones I found (heavily discounted) was one that had been damaged during transit to the dealer in a closed trailer.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 09:29 PM   #7
Quickburn7
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Bmw M5

Quote:
Quote:
I always use enclosed door to door with NO sorting stops where they switch trucks. I use Passport, Reliant ( I use them the most) and JP logistics.
Appreciate 1
dardeca499.50
      02-04-2019, 09:37 PM   #8
dardeca
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickburn7 View Post
I always use enclosed door to door with NO sorting stops where they switch trucks. I use Passport, Reliant ( I use them the most) and JP logistics.
Never heard of Reliant, but just googled them and they are headquartered in the DFW area about 15 miles from my home. I'll have to reach out to them and get a quote...thanks for the heads up! Any special requests I should make beyond enclosed trailer with no sorting stops?
      02-04-2019, 09:40 PM   #9
Quickburn7
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Never heard of Reliant, but just googled them and they are headquartered in the DFW area about 15 miles from my home. I'll have to reach out to them and get a quote...thanks for the heads up! Any special requests I should make beyond enclosed trailer with no sorting stops?
When shipping a car I like to make sure the truck is half or almost full so that the truck isn't going all around picking up other cars and then have to drive around dropping them off.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 09:48 PM   #10
dardeca
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When shipping a car I like to make sure the truck is half or almost full so that the truck isn't going all around picking up other cars and then have to drive around dropping them off.
So I just ask them about the truck assigned to pick up my car and how full it is already?
      02-04-2019, 10:05 PM   #11
Quickburn7
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
So sorry meant Reliable auto transport! Long day and words are just bumble at this point.
Yes, you can ask them if they have trucks ready full in area or if it will be empty. They just shipped 2 cars for me last week and were great.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 11:34 PM   #12
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Closed if the price difference is nominal for you
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 09:41 AM   #13
SAFSF90
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5

I've used Reliable and closed trailer. Very happy with their service.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 09:55 AM   #14
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Enclosed, look at the shit weather out there... cars kicking up rocks and crap.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 10:09 AM   #15
dardeca
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just checked with Reliable and they don't service the route I need (Nebraska to Dallas, Texas). I'll check with Passport, but seems JP Logistics is only on the West Coast.
      02-05-2019, 10:16 AM   #16
dardeca
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Enclosed, look at the shit weather out there... cars kicking up rocks and crap.
That was my thought as well. Since BMW uses open trailers to get the cars to dealerships, I wonder how many arrive with damage from transport from the VPC.
      02-05-2019, 10:30 AM   #17
ActionDH
Private
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Quote:
Just checked with Reliable and they don't service the route I need (Nebraska to Dallas, Texas). I'll check with Passport, but seems JP Logistics is only on the West Coast.

Which dealer in Nebraska did you buy from?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 04:21 PM   #18
BB TX
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
My M5 should arrive to my dealer in the Midwest sometime in March...at which time I'll need to get it shipped to me in Texas.
Anyone have any thoughts?
Why not fly up Friday evening or early Saturday, pick it up Saturday, and DRIVE it home.
That's what I did from my dealer in Illinois back to Austin. It was a blast, and I got my 1200 mile break in done immediately.
Cheers,
B B
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 04:38 PM   #19
dardeca
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB TX View Post
Why not fly up Friday evening or early Saturday, pick it up Saturday, and DRIVE it home.
That's what I did from my dealer in Illinois back to Austin. It was a blast, and I got my 1200 mile break in done immediately.
Cheers,
B B
I plan to wrap the car with PPF and don't want to damage the paint on a long drive home. Plus I'd rather spend my time on other things. A drive across the Midwest doesn't sound all that appealing (no offense to Kansas and Oklahoma residents)!!

Last edited by dardeca; 02-05-2019 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
josec704074.00
      02-05-2019, 04:53 PM   #20
Ragazzi-07
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Always enclosed trailer....
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
POBA272.00
      02-04-2021, 10:14 PM   #21
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Quote:

They should have arranged a courtesy delivery with a dealer by where you live

BMW would have dropped the car off to a local dealer even if purchased from an out of state dealer

I do it all the time - get courtesy delivery where I live on ordered cars from out of state dealer

Edit: If it's not on a boat yet they can have the car shipped from BMW to your local dealer still. You may have to pay for the PDI but lots cheaper and less pita then shipping from midwest
      02-05-2021, 07:18 AM   #22
POBA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
They should have arranged a courtesy delivery with a dealer by where you live

BMW would have dropped the car off to a local dealer even if purchased from an out of state dealer

I do it all the time - get courtesy delivery where I live on ordered cars from out of state dealer

Edit: If it's not on a boat yet they can have the car shipped from BMW to your local dealer still. You may have to pay for the PDI but lots cheaper and less pita then shipping from midwest
Could you please elaborate on how you can get BMW to ship the car to local dealer as opposed to the dealer who ordered / sold the car? Thank you!
Appreciate 0