BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Tire temp question...

04-13-2022, 01:29 AM   #23
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmeister View Post
…which is a shame but also correct. If you bought this car you owe it to yourself to go to a track event. Get in a novice group. Ride with an instructor in the passenger seat teaching you how to push the car. Its better than drugs.
Indeed....I have done a few track days with Porsche 911s.
Haven't been in a while but its definitely a lot of fun.
Not sure if an M5 if a great car for track days due its weight but it does post some impressive track times at say the Nürburgring for instance where it keeps some exotic company.
I really enjoyed the drift day I had before Covid hit...thats fun, I'd do that again.
I've also received a gift for a day at Palmersport to take up when the weather improves.

Last edited by SenorFunkyPants; 04-13-2022 at 05:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 11:26 AM   #24
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
The other 20 odd F1 tracks are clockwise IIRC.
Not that it really matters for the 99.99% of M5 owners who won't track their car.
True,

I'm always wondering why you would own a car with anything over 400hp if you would never use it.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 11:30 AM   #25
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Indeed....I have done a few track days with Porsche 911s.
Haven't been in a while but its definitely a lot of fun.
Not sure if an M5 if a great car for track days due its weight but it does post some impressive track times at say the Nürburgring for instance where it keeps some exotic company.
I really enjoyed the drift day I had before Covid hit...thats fun, I'd do that again.
I've also received a gift for a day at Palmersport to take up when the weather improves.
If you're willing to wrestle the car for the benefits, its worth it. It's cheaper to run than a 911, and faster than most of the models, including new. The only Caymans that are faster at my local track (stock) are the GT4's.

If you expect a surgical scalpel on track, the M5 is not a winner. It is a sledgehammer. But a rewarding sledgehammer that you can bring all your gear in and drive to and from, and still nail down a pretty good lap time.

Shawn
Appreciate 3
      04-14-2022, 04:09 AM   #26
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
True,
I'm always wondering why you would own a car with anything over 400hp if you would never use it.
Shawn
Because you can't use >400 bhp on public roads?
Sure there is a far higher level of jeopardy in exploiting an M5s performance on public roads (than on a track) and a large amount of restraint is often called for...but its still a highly rewarding car to drive fast.
For tracking though I'd rather drive a car purpose built for it..I doubt the cost is much more (per session).
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 12:56 PM   #27
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Because you can't use >400 bhp on public roads?
Sure there is a far higher level of jeopardy in exploiting an M5s performance on public roads (than on a track) and a large amount of restraint is often called for...but its still a highly rewarding car to drive fast.
For tracking though I'd rather drive a car purpose built for it..I doubt the cost is much more (per session).
Unfortunately, much to my disappointment, my GT-R friends in florida prove on a regular that exploiting more than 400hp on public roads is very very profitable. I do not approve.

I've compared my budget with "run of the mill" cars that make it to and from the track with the tires in the back to purpose built track cars. With the exception of Miata's and Corvette's modified, just the trailer ALONE annihilates the budget comparison. It's SOOOOO expensive to own a dedicated "track" car by comparison to a great road car that masquerades as a track car for two days six weekends out of the year.

But to each his own. That's my preference. My significant other and I just compared a Porsche Cayman GT4 RS to the M5 CS for track use. It's not even in the same ballpark. Despite the fact that the M5 is starting more expensive than the Cayman, the M5 comes out cheaper. AND, it wins the drag race (with a full set of tires and groceries in the back seat and trunk).

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 02:30 PM   #28
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I think you enjoy track days more than I do.
I've had passenger rides with various race drivers from F1 through touring car to drift car racers...and they are all totally bonkers.
I like driving fast but seem to have a much stronger sense of self preservation than those guys.
Appreciate 1
shawnhayes1838.50
      04-14-2022, 09:29 PM   #29
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
I think you enjoy track days more than I do.
I've had passenger rides with various race drivers from F1 through touring car to drift car racers...and they are all totally bonkers.
I like driving fast but seem to have a much stronger sense of self preservation than those guys.
I will say that if you don't enjoy being "at the limit" then track days are not for you. The trick is there's "fast" and then there's "fun". Driving an M5 at Porsche 911 Carerra 4S speed is a shit ton more fun than driving a 911 Turbo S at Carrera 4S speed.

The Miata drivers show it all. They have more fun than anybody, mostly going slower than Tour de France bikers do in a downhill. Why? They are "at the limit" a lot. A Miata driver is full throttle at 105 mph in the uphill Esses where I am at maintenance throttle at 110 mph and being careful not to overgas because I'll understeer. They're having more fun than I am, but I'm faster.

Everybody likes what they like. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the M5 on track. My favorite "other driver" quote...

"So I was on the straight, and grandma's 528 came around the corner way back in my mirror. Shortly after I had a mirror full of BMW hood ornament. As it passed me, I said Oh, that's an M5..."

Shawn
Appreciate 1