BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Get me out of my m5

Today, 08:06 PM   #1
Derosnec
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, Supra GR, Macan GTS

Get me out of my m5

Maybe not the #1 best forum to post in for this question but I value most of the members here and their opinions as the m5 is likely one of a long list of cars they’ve owned.

I’m looking to get out of my 2019 m5 and into something small again. For some background, I’m young, 20’s, my first “real” sports car was a 2020 Supra. My second was a macan gts, I’ve had for a brief time (longish term rentals) a 718 boxter s , jag f type r, 2012 r8.

I love the m5, it’s been a great car for the last couple of years, I did intakes, tune , exhaust as we all do. The power is mesmerizing but it is heavy and big…that being said I live in Texas and we dont exactly have Malibu canyons to run around in so being heavy, big, and fast is normally perfectly fine.

I’ve considered a lot about my next car that I want to pick up and I don’t want to spend a whole lot more then $120k. I do want to get into something smaller for some more spirited drives on what curvy few roads we do have in Texas. I will be daily driving whatever car I get so it’s primarily highway/computing miles with the occasional weekend drives/road trips.

Right now after hours of research and debate I’ve hit a crossroad: older ~ 2012 911 turbo or 2014-2017 Audi r8. Looking at about 20-40k miles used on either option, which puts them at a similar price point depending on specs. I test drove a modified 2011 turbo s and thought it was incredible, but the Audi r8 2012 I had in the past was also incredible, the sound was intoxicating. 2014 and above for the R8 bc I heard that was the year they fixed a lot of issues and the automatic transmission got better. Basically I’m not sure which one to pick, I plan to put a lot miles on the next car and the Porsche depreciates less it seems which makes me lean towards that.

So uh which would you pick, 2014 R8, 2012 911 Turbo, neither this is a bmw forum fuck off and buy another m5.

I’ve considered but could be persuaded towards:
-CTS 5 Blackwing (meh another m5 basically)
- lotus emira (lacking in power?)
- Nissan GTR (can’t stand how they look)
- AMG GT/Aston Vantage (weird ick with Mercedes)
- gt4/spyder (lacking in power again?)
- newer 911 (drove a 2020 base and was severely disappointed in power, feeling, spirit)
- g80 m3 (given this a lot of thought, just lusting for something more exotic I guess, haven’t actually test drove one yet though)
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:22 PM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

You want a flashy sports car. Buy one. I am somewhat practical and think the Porsche 911 Turbo is the most reliable and easiest to find parts for, but I personally would be looking at 991.2, not 997.2. If you are willing to go more mass market, the G80 M3 has great aftermarket support, is cheaper, and is popular amount 20 somethings. That would be the most practical choice. I am older and had an E90 M3 for 10 years, and wanted a fast comfy cruiser like the F90 M5.
Appreciate 2
NGT25640.00
      Today, 09:18 PM   #3
Jakerx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp

I would pick neither the 2014 R8 nor the 2012 911 Turbo and would fuck off and buy another M5.
Appreciate 1
NGT25640.00