BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Regional Forums UK    Michelin pilot p4s Star Alternatives

07-11-2023, 06:58 AM   #1
k10rft
Registered
Rep
Drives: f90 m5 plus some crappy J tin

Michelin pilot p4s Star Alternatives

Hi all

long time lurker, anyone found the best alternative to the above since there seems to be a massive shortage everywhere i look?

thanks
K
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 04:48 AM   #2
Thresherinc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5, MB SLK 350

I'm running on Continental SportContact 6 tyres, the dealer I bought the car from said they were the best alternatives available as there were no M PS4S around at the time.

Not had any problems, wet or dry so far.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2023, 08:05 AM   #3
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Tyreleader have the P4S in stock.
You will get them within a few days of ordering.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 06:59 AM   #4
787B
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Is the Tyreleader tyres the BMW * marked or just generic PS4S? (There's a big diff in compound between them).

I spoke to Michelin last week about it and from what he said it looks like the 285 width PS4S* has been deleted from their catalogue. He followed up by email saying that Michelin have no current tyres for our cars (OEM spec).

I think I'm going to go Pirelli OEM when I have to change soon.

Here's the follow up email from Michelin:

"Thank you for contacting Michelin customer service.

We checked in our system, unfortunately we do not have available * marking tyres accoording to the required car and tyre details.

For additional information please contact us by email: contact@tc.michelin.eu, on our website http://www.michelin.co.uk/ by filling in our contact form www.michelin.co.uk/assistance or by phone, Mon-Fri 09:00-18:00, 08000 318 802"
Appreciate 1
F30Andy1774.00
      07-16-2023, 07:51 AM   #5
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Apparently production of PS4S * tyres are due to going back into production on 24 july 2023.
I'd give it a few days after the 24th then ring Michelin back and see if availability has changed.
There are other versions of PS4S in M5 sizes that are for Ferrari, Mercedes and Porsche. Can't say how they would be, if fitted to the M5.
The Pirellis are apparently not that great on the M5.
I'd give the Conti Sports Contact 7 a go but they don't as yet do the rear tyre size.
Appreciate 1
F30Andy1774.00
      07-18-2023, 04:21 AM   #6
787B
Rep

Alright, that's good to know - hope it turns out to be true. I'll try and hold out as long as I can then!

I've heard almost everyone prefer the Michelin, except the Car magazine long-term reviewer, who thought the Pirelli were more predictable at the limit:

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-re...bmw/m5-review/
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 07:23 AM   #7
Thresherinc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5, MB SLK 350

Michelin's website shows them as available from ATS and Blackcircles.

Michelin availability
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 08:55 AM   #8
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thresherinc View Post

Michelin availability
Thats good...I'd still ring them first to confirm availability before committing to paying.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 09:20 AM   #9
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

I have a X3M on my fleet that went in for a service yesterday to my local Sytner.
Needed tyres as well.

Sytner have Star marked ones in stock.

Might be worth checking with your local dealers.

Probably won't be the cheapest you can get, but will be the correct specification.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 04:50 AM   #10
787B
Rep

Sytner could only get the Pirelli for me when I called last week - I guess your X3M is different sizes? The 275 Michelin they have, but not the 285
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 04:54 AM   #11
787B
Rep

That's the non BMW spec PS4S - it fits but the compound is very different.

This video has a review of both BMW * vs normal PS4S (* look much better):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thresherinc View Post

Michelin availability
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 03:58 PM   #12
Maxlude
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D_SE_Man, F90_M5C

I need new tyres also.
I'm thinking none star marked mps4s will not feel any different in normal road driving and I'm unlikely to track it.
These have more availability and will save a hundred squids too.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 12:38 PM   #13
k10rft
Registered
Rep

thanks for the replies folks, seems like going to have to settle for standard ps4s till new batch release end of next month, everyone is out of stock for unfortunately

K
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 08:00 PM   #14
M5 London
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 LCI - Aventurine Red

No issues for me with grip / stability with the stock factory supplied Pirelli * rated tyres

I think they also have a stiffer tyre wall than the Michelin PS4S * tyres allowing better Turn IN and front end feel.

BMW M wouldn't fit them from factory if they were seriously inferior to other options, IMO.
Attached Images

09-21-2023, 03:39 AM   #15
k10rft
Registered
Rep

small update

i have opted for the non star rated ps4s and honestly.... i feel the performance of the Pirelli was way better... on hard acceleration car squirms where as before it didn't hesitate at all. ive done many track days with the Pirellis too and didn't feel they underperformed. wet weather performance on the Pirelli was lacking ill give it that but id rather have Pirelli over the mp4s. I'm seriously tempted to go back... am i alone in this thought?

K
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2023, 10:20 AM   #16
logicators
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by k10rft View Post
small update

i have opted for the non star rated ps4s and honestly.... i feel the performance of the Pirelli was way better... on hard acceleration car squirms where as before it didn't hesitate at all. ive done many track days with the Pirellis too and didn't feel they underperformed. wet weather performance on the Pirelli was lacking ill give it that but id rather have Pirelli over the mp4s. I'm seriously tempted to go back... am i alone in this thought?

K
I can’t comment on summer PS4S, but I use non star marked PS4S-AS when the weather gets colder, and OEM Pirellis in the summer. I personally like both tires for different reasons. PS4S-AS offers a very comfortable and composed ride, with a more “confident” road grip, and does not seem to need much warm up. Pirellis offer more dynamic and playful ride with better handling around the corners. Pirellis do require some warm up. If you push them hard right after cold start the tires seems to spin a bit. When Pirellis wear out I was planning on replacing them with summer PS4S but your comments are giving me a pause
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2023, 08:39 PM   #17
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by k10rft View Post
small update

K
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicators View Post
I can’t comment on summer PS4S, but I use non star marked PS4S-AS when the weather gets colder, and OEM Pirellis in the summer. I personally like both tires for different reasons. PS4S-AS offers a very comfortable and composed ride, with a more “confident” road grip, and does not seem to need much warm up. Pirellis offer more dynamic and playful ride with better handling around the corners. Pirellis do require some warm up. If you push them hard right after cold start the tires seems to spin a bit. When Pirellis wear out I was planning on replacing them with summer PS4S but your comments are giving me a pause
Having had both the P Zeros and the PS4Ss from the factory, I’m not a huge fan of the Pirellis, like most others here. But, if the decision was between OE star marked P Zeros and non-OE PS4Ss, I’d take the Pirellis any day of the week. They are, after all, factory equipment at the end of the day; even if we may not like them in comparison to the (OE) Michelins. We’ve seen how the compounds of these tires vary greatly from OE star marked to non-OE star marked, so that’s important.

As a side point I do use non-OE Pirellis in the winter (SottoZero III) so I don’t knock all Pirellis, and I prefer them to the OE star marked winter Michelins.