BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion    Father passed away so I inherited his 528i

07-29-2022, 11:11 AM   #67
Mr23779
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 540i M-Sport Shadowline

Garage List
2023 540i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeEmVe View Post
Just remember, it may be registered in your name, but is always be your father's Bimmer. Just like my father's truck. It may be in my name, but it's Pop's truck. Cheers.

True words!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 11:45 AM   #68
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

Kind of bitter sweet really. You have his prized and loved car now. But on the other hand if he didn't have you to take over where would his prize end up. I'm sure he'd rather his son have it if he loved it that much.
Nice to have something so meaningful to remember him by. Enjoy!
Pin his pic to the dash so he can ride with you.
Appreciate 1
Mr23779132.00
      08-28-2022, 01:31 PM   #69
Mr23779
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2023 540i  [9.00]
Apologies to all for continuing to resurrect this thread, but I turned in dad's car the other day to finally have the front struts replaced, oil pan gasket replaced, oil change, and alignment done per the original estimate. I should get it back in a day or two. Looking forward to many more (s)miles once it's all done.

I asked them to inspect the motor mounts while they had it and gave them the "green light" to replace, if necessary.

Also turns out the amount in the original estimate was wrong and that it's going to be $400 cheaper. They pointed out their parts order error when I stopped by the shop. Tells me a lot about their honesty and integrity because they could have kept their mouths shut and charged me the original quote and made a few hundred extra bucks with me being none the wiser.
Appreciate 2
      08-28-2022, 02:26 PM   #70
Rono63
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Glad to hear you are getting the repairs completed so you will be able to continue to enjoy driving it. It's nice to hear positive feedback from a repair shop, so often only negative things are said on forums.
Appreciate 1
Mr23779132.00
      08-28-2022, 03:15 PM   #71
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

My dad was an avid golfer and he passed away suddenly from a Gliobastoma (same cancer that did in John McCain). Now, whenever I go golfing, I think of my Dad. Treat the car the same way; it is a constant reminder, a good one, of your Dad!
Appreciate 1
Mr23779132.00
      08-29-2022, 11:17 AM   #72
Mr23779
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2023 540i  [9.00]
Got the car back from the local BMW shop this morning. Wow! Big difference.

Had both front struts replaced + bump stops, 4-wheel alignment, oil pan gasket + oil change, transmission mount replaced, and both engine mounts replaced. They said everything else looks great and I should only have to worry about regular maintenance issues now.
Appreciate 2
      08-30-2022, 09:30 AM   #73
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr23779 View Post
Got the car back from the local BMW shop this morning. Wow! Big difference.

Had both front struts replaced + bump stops, 4-wheel alignment, oil pan gasket + oil change, transmission mount replaced, and both engine mounts replaced. They said everything else looks great and I should only have to worry about regular maintenance issues now.
Hi Alan,

Just ran into this thread randomly and wanted to say my sincere condolences. The E60 looks great and this is going to be one of the most robust new BMW's you can have, so it was a great choice to keep the car in memory of your father.

Keep up with regular maintenance (especially fluids) and the car will have plenty of life left. There are some truly great members that know their stuff when it comes to BMW's, so feel free to post questions here.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
Mr23779132.00
      08-30-2022, 09:34 AM   #74
Mr23779
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2023 540i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Hi Alan,

Just ran into this thread randomly and wanted to say my sincere condolences. The E60 looks great and this is going to be one of the most robust new BMW's you can have, so it was a great choice to keep the car in memory of your father.

Keep up with regular maintenance (especially fluids) and the car will have plenty of life left. There are some truly great members that know their stuff when it comes to BMW's, so feel free to post questions here.

I appreciate the kind words. This forum really consists of a different breed of folks. Complete strangers helping a newbie and sending condolences. Amazing!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 11:31 AM   #75
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Deepest condolences on your loss. I’m taking care of my 86 year old father who now lives in a memory care center. I’m actually having lunch with him right this minute. We’re waiting to be served.

Just to reiterate what your mechanic told you about those maintenance items not being pressing. I drove my N52 motor 2006 330i for fifteen years and 116,000 miles before selling it. I’m sure my suspension would have benefited to a degree with new shocks and struts, but in all those miles I never changed them and I never noticed any significant degradation of the ride or handling. As far as the gaskets go, while it’s generally held that N52 motors are prone to leaks my N52 never leaked and never needed a gasket job. Personally, that’s one thing I would hold off on until there is some actual evidence of leaks.

Congratulations on your new car. Your father obviously had good taste. Enjoy your car in good health. One warning, you’ll find that BMWs will ruin you to other brands.

Edit: I just saw your post about getting a lot of maintenance done.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Last edited by tturedraider; 08-30-2022 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
Mr23779132.00
      08-30-2022, 02:00 PM   #76
Mr23779
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2023 540i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Deepest condolences on your loss. I’m taking care of my 86 year old father who now lives in a memory care center. I’m actually having lunch with him right this minute. We’re waiting to be served.

Man, my heart goes out to you. It's a tough road. Hang in there, brother. Spending time with your dad like that is precious. My father was an awesome guy and I was lucky to have him for 83 years. I miss him like you wouldn't believe but getting to see (let alone drive) his car each day is a great feeling.

Thank you for the kind message and reinforcing the notion that I did the right thing having these repairs done. Dad had put them off. Not long enough to cause any damage but they needed to be fixed.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 01:09 PM   #77
Mr23779
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2023 540i  [9.00]
Found some paperwork of a vehicle dad spec'd before he passed. He knew it was the end for him but he wanted to configure a package of what he'd like as a last vehicle. Breaks my heart!

Appreciate 1
      09-03-2022, 03:12 PM   #78
conmar
Pegger
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40d

Quote:
Found some paperwork of a vehicle dad spec'd before he passed. He knew it was the end for him but he wanted to configure a package of what he'd like as a last vehicle. Breaks my heart!

My condolences, Alan.
I fully understand your feeling, but I could imagine you had a dad who would go right now like: Son, see that? Do you like it too? What do you think?

Some things we find may at first break our heart, but could also offer comfort in a way.

All the best.
Appreciate 1
Mr23779132.00
      09-04-2022, 06:58 AM   #79
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Greetings to all. I wish I was here under better circumstances but I could sure use some help and/or advice.

My father passed away the other day after battling cancer. Long story short, a battle with prostate cancer 5 years ago metastasized into inoperable bone marrow cancer. He hid it from me and my mother but finally was in so much pain he was hospitalized. A week later, he succumbed to it. He went peacefully because the last several days, per his wishes, he was kept pain free. He lived a wonderful 83 years, was my superhero, my mentor, and my friend. I miss him so much already. I'd give anything to pick up the phone or swing by the house to visit with him just one more time.

To the crux of the matter...

His pride and joy was his 2009 528i. He left it to me (I'm an only child) and so it means the world to me. This car was such a huge part of his life. Always kept in the garage, meticulously maintained (I have access to all his records as of this morning), spotless inside and out, and has 83,300 miles on it.

I know absolutely zero about BMW vehicles. I stopped by the shop which has serviced dad's vehicle for years, talked to the owner, and even he told me dad was particular about maintaining the vehicle. The shop owner knew all this information about my father and his car without even blinking an eye and didn't have to look at any records to recite chapter and verse everything about the vehicle.

I asked them for a copy of their records and what they thought about the vehicle as far as longevity is concerned. The owner said he has zero issues with the safety and reliability of the vehicle but did mention a couple of things that "could" be done at some point just due to the sheer age of the vehicle. He said the items weren't emergencies but were typical for this model. Of course, I have no idea.

They gave me an estimate for what could be done but said due to the fact that my father rarely drove the car that the work could definitely wait.

Herein lies the rub. I have no idea, so I'm hoping the hive collective here can help educate and inform a newbie.

Both front strut assemblies
Both front strut mounts
Both front bump stops
4-wheel alignment

N52 RWD oil pan gasket (includes oil and filter change)
(Gasket + bolt set + ring + torx bolt + washer)

Labor = $1590
Parts = $1043
Supplies = $12
Sales tax = $87
Grand total for all work = $2731

Although the vehicle holds great sentimental value and is paid off, is this vehicle worth keeping or should I help my mother sell the vehicle? (I would incur any costs for repairs and maintenance, of course! I would NEVER let my mother pay for anything regarding this vehicle).

Mom has explained several times that she doesn't want the car nor does she want or need the cash if we were to sell it. She loves that I'm driving it and that my father would be honored that I have it, but I feel a bit guilty. Does that even make sense?

Thank you in advance and I appreciate any/all feedback or knowledge anyone would be willing to share.

Alan
I'm very sorry for your loss.

Definitely hold on to it- don't sell it. Wish I had my dad's Lexus SC he had before he passed away. I regret letting the family sell it.
Appreciate 1
Mr23779132.00
      09-04-2022, 06:59 AM   #80
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Deepest condolences on your loss. I'm taking care of my 86 year old father who now lives in a memory care center. I'm actually having lunch with him right this minute. We're waiting to be served.

Just to reiterate what your mechanic told you about those maintenance items not being pressing. I drove my N52 motor 2006 330i for fifteen years and 116,000 miles before selling it. I'm sure my suspension would have benefited to a degree with new shocks and struts, but in all those miles I never changed them and I never noticed any significant degradation of the ride or handling. As far as the gaskets go, while it's generally held that N52 motors are prone to leaks my N52 never leaked and never needed a gasket job. Personally, that's one thing I would hold off on until there is some actual evidence of leaks.

Congratulations on your new car. Your father obviously had good taste. Enjoy your car in good health. One warning, you'll find that BMWs will ruin you to other brands.

Edit: I just saw your post about getting a lot of maintenance done.
I had the same engine on a 530i stick shift car. One of my overall favorites- the 330 was awesome then too
Appreciate 2
Mr23779132.00