05-17-2022, 10:55 AM   #1
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Potential G80 Defector

Hello folks,

Having long admired the F90's charisma--while admiring too all your posted photos on here!--I now find myself in a position where I could be in the market for (a 'used approved') one. The reason is that my current order for a new M3 has been delayed so long that it might end up being a MY23 model, and therefore receive (if rumours and predictions are correct) the horrid one-piece curved screen and button-less that's coming in with iDrive 8 this summer. I've concluded that this would be a deal-breaker for me; and the process of reaching that conclusion has made me defect from the prospect of a G80 to seriously entertain a F90 Comp.

As such, I want to educate myself in some of the parameters I should be aware of. My main dilemma is whether to go for a pre-LCI Comp. Two questions have a bearing on that decision:

First off, exhaust and engine sound: am I right in assuming that some pre-LCI models don't have the OPF? Was the OPF only introduced with the LCI (i.e. late 2020 onwards) or before? The reason I ask is that the M Sport Exhaust on the pre-LCIs seems noticeably louder, whereas all the barks, pops, and crackles seem to have been muted on the LCI refresh (presumably due to the filter). Or is the OPF not the explanation for that distinction?

Second, ride comfort: for those folks here who own pre-LCI models (and for those who've owned or driven both) is the ride quality of the pre-LCI model as uncomfortably firm as reviewers suggest? And if so, has the introduction of those new dampers in the LCI version improved things markedly, or is the difference in daily driving not all that noticeable?

Thanks, guys, in advance for any comparative reflections or advice you're able to impart!

D

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 11:30 AM   #2
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidXJ View Post
Hello folks,

Having long admired the F90's charisma--while admiring too all your posted photos on here!--I now find myself in a position where I could be in the market for (a 'used approved') one. The reason is that my current order for a new M3 has been delayed so long that it might end up being a MY23 model, and therefore receive (if rumours and predictions are correct) the horrid one-piece curved screen and button-less that's coming in with iDrive 8 this summer. I've concluded that this would be a deal-breaker for me; and the process of reaching that conclusion has made me defect from the prospect of a G80 to seriously entertain a F90 Comp.

As such, I want to educate myself in some of the parameters I should be aware of. My main dilemma is whether to go for a pre-LCI Comp. Two questions have a bearing on that decision:

First off, exhaust and engine sound: am I right in assuming that some pre-LCI models don't have the OPF? Was the OPF only introduced with the LCI (i.e. late 2020 onwards) or before? The reason I ask is that the M Sport Exhaust on the pre-LCIs seems noticeably louder, whereas all the barks, pops, and crackles seem to have been muted on the LCI refresh (presumably due to the filter). Or is the OPF not the explanation for that distinction?

Second, ride comfort: for those folks here who own pre-LCI models (and for those who've owned or driven both) is the ride quality of the pre-LCI model as uncomfortably firm as reviewers suggest? And if so, has the introduction of those new dampers in the LCI version improved things markedly, or is the difference in daily driving not all that noticeable?

Thanks, guys, in advance for any comparative reflections or advice you're able to impart!

D
First off, sorry for your delays. The climate we are in so frustrating in this regard. I too have been the subject of multiple delays on my incoming LCI.

I can't speak to OPF as I'm in the US. While I don't have the LCI yet, I've had my pre-LCI for coming up on 3 years with 28k on the clock. It's the best daily driver I've ever had. I don't think it's uncomfortable by any means. With that being said, before placing my LCI order, I spent a full week with an LCI. I can tell you the LCI ride quality is markedly improved over the pre-LCI model, particularly in sport plus mode, which I am in a majority of the time. Again, not that the pre-LCI was stiff in my opinion, but the LCI is an improvement nonetheless. I agree with most reviewers regarding the improved dampers.

As you're in the UK, you're obviously going to have to balance whether the ride quality is more important than the relative lack of exhaust sound. Again, I'm not so familiar with that matter, but since the pre-LCI is not bad by any means, I'd want the exhaust sound more than a cushier ride if I had to choose.
      05-17-2022, 11:42 AM   #3
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

All UK Comps have the OPFs. The LCI, is indeed much muted, and has zero pops and bangs, and i really miss them, it robs the car of so much character imho. The mapping is different in the LCI, and has the pops and bangs removed, due to EU regs. The pre LCI, that do have OPFs, still pop and bang, but not to the extent of pre OPF models. Im always jealous of the USA market, as they are not restricted at all atm, with OPFs, and mapping.
The ride quality, is a little harder to answer, as its all a personal choice, as to what is hard etc, but i would say, the damping is a little more forgiving in the LCI, but not by much. The M5 CS in this regard, is much better.
If you are wanting the full fat sound, you are really looking at a non Comp, early car in the UK, but i wouldnt be put of a pre LCI OPF Competition, as the noise is still there. I think it was around Aug 2018, that OPFs were introduced here.
Appreciate 1
DavidXJ663.00
      05-17-2022, 11:47 AM   #4
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
All UK Comps have the OPFs. The LCI, is indeed much muted, and has zero pops and bangs, and i really miss them, it robs the car of so much character imho. The mapping is different in the LCI, and has the pops and bangs removed, due to EU regs. The pre LCI, that do have OPFs, still pop and bang, but not to the extent of pre OPF models. Im always jealous of the USA market, as they are not restricted at all atm, with OPFs, and mapping.
The ride quality, is a little harder to answer, as its all a personal choice, as to what is hard etc, but i would say, the damping is a little more forgiving in the LCI, but not by much. The M5 CS in this regard, is much better.
If you are wanting the full fat sound, you are really looking at a non Comp, early car in the UK, but i wouldnt be put of a pre LCI OPF Competition, as the noise is still there. I think it was around Aug 2018, that OPFs were introduced here.
Thank you. This is tremendously helpful! And good to know that some of the character is still there in the pre-LCI models. This will help to narrow down my search. I'll probably try and get a test drive soon, so that I can gauge the stiffness; but to be honest, I'm used to a reasonably firm ride in my G20 40i, so ultimately exhaust acoustics are more important to me!

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 11:51 AM   #5
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Agreed — if I had zero pops and bangs, I would never buy the car to be honest. Not that I am trying to sound like one of those Honda Civics without a muffler, but I do want some (proper M5) noise.
Simon H876.00
      05-17-2022, 01:25 PM   #6
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thank you. This is tremendously helpful! And good to know that some of the character is still there in the pre-LCI models. This will help to narrow down my search. I'll probably try and get a test drive soon, so that I can gauge the stiffness; but to be honest, I'm used to a reasonably firm ride in my G20 40i, so ultimately exhaust acoustics are more important to me!
All this will pale into insignificance, when you nail the car in sports+, and keep it planted through the 3rd to 4th gearchange, its pretty orgasmic .
Appreciate 3
      05-18-2022, 03:28 PM   #7
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for all your advice and reflections, folks. With the introduction of that ID8 screen now official for the G80 this year, my defection to the F90 crew is confirmed. There are some tasty pre-LCI examples on offer (and I'm looking forward to my first V8). There's always been a part of me that's yearned for a M5, but I've suppressed that (or justified passing it by due to expense and size) until recently. Now I can't wait to hear and feel one in action!

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 2
      05-18-2022, 07:34 PM   #8
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for all your advice and reflections, folks. With the introduction of that ID8 screen now official for the G80 this year, my defection to the F90 crew is confirmed. There are some tasty pre-LCI examples on offer (and I'm looking forward to my first V8). There's always been a part of me that's yearned for a M5, but I've suppressed that (or justified passing it by due to expense and size) until recently. Now I can't wait to hear and feel one in action!
Welcome to the camp! I think you're going to be here for a while.
      05-20-2022, 06:48 AM   #9
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
Quote:
Agreed — if I had zero pops and bangs, I would never buy the car to be honest. Not that I am trying to sound like one of those Honda Civics without a muffler, but I do want some (proper M5) noise.
Quick follow up question here: is there any evidence of pre-LCI Comp models being quietened after software updates in 2020? I see there was some forum discussion of this at the time, and folks were complaining of updates containing (unannounced) ICU remaps, thanks to new EU regs. This was allegedly the fate of some MY20 M340i models, incidentally, which lost their pops and burbles (according to some owners) after an OTA update about a year ago. I'm looking at a MY20 F90 at the moment (yet to test it in person) and hope that's not the case and that they retain a good exhaust note in comparison to the subsequent LCI models (as you guys have suggested here).

Thanks for any views on this point. I realise some of these software update rumours are just that--hearsay. But I did want to get your opinions!

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 08:00 AM   #10
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quick follow up question here: is there any evidence of pre-LCI Comp models being quietened after software updates in 2020? I see there was some forum discussion of this at the time, and folks were complaining of updates containing (unannounced) ICU remaps, thanks to new EU regs. This was allegedly the fate of some MY20 M340i models, incidentally, which lost their pops and burbles (according to some owners) after an OTA update about a year ago. I'm looking at a MY20 F90 at the moment (yet to test it in person) and hope that's not the case and that they retain a good exhaust note in comparison to the subsequent LCI models (as you guys have suggested here).

Thanks for any views on this point. I realise some of these software update rumours are just that--hearsay. But I did want to get your opinions!
There was lots of talk on this here recently, and it seemed to me, hit and miss, as to whether your car was affected after the software upgrade. It was mostly in the USA too from what i gathered, so cannot give a definitive answer.
Appreciate 1
DavidXJ663.00
      05-20-2022, 08:04 AM   #11
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

There was lots of talk on this here recently, and it seemed to me, hit and miss, as to whether your car was affected after the software upgrade. It was mostly in the USA too from what i gathered, so cannot give a definitive answer.
Thanks. That seems to have matched the narrative for the 340i too: that it affected US folks the most (with some not noticing any change at all) since they would've had louder shot-gun effects on their exhausts to start with anyway, in the absence of filters!

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 10:27 AM   #12
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

As I mentioned before, I'm in the US, so this may not be applicable to you. I still wanted to share my experience in case it may be of any help. I was at my dealership 2 weeks ago for standard scope, oil change, rear axle service, front axle service, trans case service, and brake fluid service.

It was a longer list than my usual service visits, and between that and based on what I read on the forum regarding "neutered" sound from owners in the last few months after software updates when in for service, I told my SA to not apply any software for fear of losing pops and bangs. I also have a relationship with my M Master Technician and communicated my worries directly to him. He stated that he was unaware of any such software update that would do that (to my car at least) and told me that I was not not targeted for any software updates on my pre-LCI.

There are definitely a point where some cars are changing though because of a software update. I just don't know when and which cars. I drove a '22 X6M yesterday that had zero pops and bangs, even in Track/M Dynamic mode. I had driven a '20 X6M a couple of years ago that had PLENTY of pops and bags. SA commented that there are software updates due to US emissions standard that are affecting volume for sure. It concerns me because I have a feeling my incoming LCI will subject to the same "neutering" (the forums' word, not mine LOL).