BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    I get put in my place because of my brake squeal…LOL

05-16-2022, 12:31 PM   #45
norbtx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5

It is a bit embarrassing. Sometimes its so loud coming to a stop it sounds like I'm honking someone. Hope I don't get shot for it!
afo818254.50
      05-16-2022, 12:47 PM   #46
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
I hope that they stay silent for you! Hopefully that will mean they're going to be silent on my incoming car as well.

Glad to hear you're at 900 already. Resisting temptation to push the car during break in is brutal. I'm already planning all the driving I'm going to do to hit 1200 as quickly as possible!
Haha yeah I got the car back from detailer on May 10th at night, been driving all over the place, not really driving hard but I have been giving it a decent amount of throttle just not "full throttle" so it's seen anywhere from about 7.5-12 psi of boost on pulls since I like to break in my cars about halfway between babying and thrashing them lol
I also like to take the middle of the road approach. I did it on my current M5 with no issues and will do the same with my incoming car. Congratulations again!
      05-16-2022, 12:48 PM   #47
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
I get put in my place because of my brake squeal?LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmixx11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
Haha yeah I got the car back from detailer on May 10th at night, been driving all over the place, not really driving hard but I have been giving it a decent amount of throttle just not "full throttle" so it's seen anywhere from about 7.5-12 psi of boost on pulls since I like to break in my cars about halfway between babying and thrashing them lol
That's the best way to break in a new car IMO. Not babying but not hammering it at every stop light.
Agreed!
      05-16-2022, 12:49 PM   #48
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
I get put in my place because of my brake squeal?LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justao View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by josec70 View Post
EBC Redstuff and the pads that Ben at RGSport is selling are also options.

I tried both the Porterfields and EBC Redstuff on my 19 M5C (sold) & both were a huge improvement over the OEMS.
Not sure about the red but I'm really happy with EBC yellow pads, those are city/track pads and as far as I remember the RED stuff is more track focused
Are yours 100% silent?
      05-16-2022, 12:53 PM   #49
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greer View Post
"Buy the f**** Porterfield pads"

No need for brake noise.
They don't brake as well as the M-sport pads that are OEM, and porterfield and ACG (same pad) both admit same.

But if you daily drive and don't need a panic stop...eh, whatever.

Shawn
Shawn, thanks for the input. This is what I have been told before and was part of the reason I was hesitant to go with either one of those. My car does not see anywhere near the track duty that yours does, so your brake needs are much more heavy duty than mine. Are you running with ACG or Porterfield now? Or have you gone back to OEM after trying them?
      05-16-2022, 12:55 PM   #50
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbtx View Post
It is a bit embarrassing. Sometimes its so loud coming to a stop it sounds like I'm honking someone. Hope I don't get shot for it!
I used to be a "bit" embarrassed as well. I eventually got over it. Then this happened…LOL. Talk about one step forward, two steps back.
      05-16-2022, 01:13 PM   #51
Spunky
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

I don't get it how you might feel embarrassed driving a new/-ish M5... Mine are noisy, don't care. If I get into OPs situation, after the friendly FU, I would tell them they're racing brakes while slowly rolling and screeching
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 03:08 PM   #52
Justao
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 F91

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I tried both the Porterfields and EBC Redstuff on my 19 M5C (sold) & both were a huge improvement over the OEMS.
Not sure about the red but I'm really happy with EBC yellow pads, those are city/track pads and as far as I remember the RED stuff is more track focused
Are yours 100% silent?
Yes, 100% silent. You worry too much, it's a cheap and effective solution. Can't go wrong with either ebc or portfield. No performance issues whatsoever.
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2022, 05:19 PM   #53
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunky View Post
I don't get it how you might feel embarrassed driving a new/-ish M5... Mine are noisy, don't care. If I get into OPs situation, after the friendly FU, I would tell them they're racing brakes while slowly rolling and screeching
Those were the exact words my brain formulated, but which my mouth failed to deliver.
      05-16-2022, 06:08 PM   #54
TFBravo
Some Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 GX460, 2022 M5C

Garage List
Don't be embarrassed, in fact you should have pride in the noisy brakes, as it is a side effect of a performance car and the performance brakes that are in it. My E63S AMG had exactly the same squeal, started around 3k miles, once the dealer basically told me "its normal because race car breaks" I loved it, and did not give a flying f$ck at what anyone thought. Its the same issue on Porsches, same issues on the CCB on the new Shelby GT500s. Many high performance cars have noisy brakes and its completely normal.

Opting out for quite but worse calipers is stupid and dangerous, but I guess if you got money to blow when you rear end someone and total your car that's your thing.

Next time tell them that's the sound of toxic masculinity while revving your engine.
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2022, 06:31 PM   #55
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Are yours 100% silent?
Yes, 100% silent. You worry too much, it's a cheap and effective solution. Can't go wrong with either ebc or portfield. No performance issues whatsoever.
Thank you very much!
      05-16-2022, 06:40 PM   #56
Ron1n
Speed Demon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Garage List
2021 M5 Competition  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2011 335is  [0.00]
2009 E93 M3  [10.00]
2010 335d  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WeissBisBlau View Post
It’s a ‘21 (LCI), but only has about 3000-4000 mi (bought it, then COVID hit). I’m wondering whether I’m just lucky, or if it doesn’t happen anymore on LCI’s, or whether I just don’t have enough miles on her yet.
Mine’s a 2021, and it definitely happens.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 06:40 PM   #57
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFBravo View Post
Don't be embarrassed, in fact you should have pride in the noisy brakes, as it is a side effect of a performance car and the performance brakes that are in it. My E63S AMG had exactly the same squeal, started around 3k miles, once the dealer basically told me "its normal because race car breaks" I loved it, and did not give a flying f$ck at what anyone thought. Its the same issue on Porsches, same issues on the CCB on the new Shelby GT500s. Many high performance cars have noisy brakes and its completely normal.

Opting out for quite but worse calipers is stupid and dangerous, but I guess if you got money to blow when you rear end someone and total your car that's your thing.

Next time tell them that's the sound of toxic masculinity while revving your engine.
Despite this situation, and my previous comments/thread on the forum, to a (very) small extent, I also had a little pride. I've heard the racing brake argument, especially when my dealer spouted that off after I brought the car in twice for a complete system lubrication due to my complaints (at no charge both times, but what would have been $650-ish of labor each).

Interestingly, I have other performance cars that a lot of multi car garage forum members here have, and none of them do that, nor had I previously had a car that did that. I understand it's normal, I just must have gotten extremely lucky every time up until my M5.

I am in agreement regarding going with quiet brakes that don't perform as well. That's why I tried to get as much input as possible from forum members that have stepped away from BMW OEM parts. Fortunately for me, I got a lot of candid advice from the forum, both on this thread, and my previous (dead) brake thread.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]"Next time tell them that's the sound of toxic masculinity while revving your engine."[/COLOR]

^^^^ THIS!
      05-16-2022, 06:43 PM   #58
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1n View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WeissBisBlau View Post
It’s a ‘21 (LCI), but only has about 3000-4000 mi (bought it, then COVID hit). I’m wondering whether I’m just lucky, or if it doesn’t happen anymore on LCI’s, or whether I just don’t have enough miles on her yet.
Mine’s a 2021, and it definitely happens.
Another example of how different owners' experience with the brakes are all over the place.

There are SO many on the forum that say they've never had this happen, but the ones that have it are truly pissed about it 95% of the time.
      05-16-2022, 06:44 PM   #59
Ron1n
Speed Demon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Garage List
2021 M5 Competition  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2011 335is  [0.00]
2009 E93 M3  [10.00]
2010 335d  [9.50]
Quote:
Another example of how different owners' experience with the brakes are all over the place.

There are SO many on the forum that say they've never had this happen, but the ones that have it are truly pissed about it 95% of the time.
I definitely am not a fan, and when it's time to swap pads, I will not be going OEM, I can tell you that. :P

Current: '21 M5C, '15 X6 50i Previous: '18 M550i, '16 550i, '11 335is, '09 E93 M3 DCT, '10 E90 335d, '07 E90 328i
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2022, 06:55 PM   #60
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1n View Post
Quote:

I definitely am not a fan, and when it's time to swap pads, I will not be going OEM, I can tell you that. :P
I'm figuring out what to do with my existing car, but I can tell you for sure that I'll be doing something different with my new one as well if it's like my old one!
      05-16-2022, 11:08 PM   #61
Rup91
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5/ 2024 X7 40i

I got tired of hearing the embarrassing squeal when pulling in through the drive-thru at the local coffee shop. Got some EBC red brakes pads and I will 100% recommend it (or Porterfield) to anyone with brake squeal. Had them on for 5 months now and driving it as a daily, it squealed maybe 2-3 times when cold. Used to be so embarrased approaching a red light while someone was there with their windows down staring as this locomotive came to a stop

* EBC pads had too much red paint on the guides so I had to remove that paint with a small wire brush so they weren't so tight. 2018 non-CCB
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2022, 11:31 PM   #62
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
That was a very funny story and your wake-up call, get the after-market brake pads. Here's the link: https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1617012
The ACG pads were another option that had been recommended to me on my previous thread. Are yours completely silent?
Don't buy the ACG. Many owners including myself are starting to get squealing now. Seems to happen around 10k miles of usage. Mine were silent until this past winter. Didn't have the issue last winter. If they don't quiet up this summer I'll be trying RGSports versions he sells.

You can check the brake sub forum for more info or just check his website.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2022, 12:20 AM   #63
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rup91 View Post
I got tired of hearing the embarrassing squeal when pulling in through the drive-thru at the local coffee shop. Got some EBC red brakes pads and I will 100% recommend it (or Porterfield) to anyone with brake squeal. Had them on for 5 months now and driving it as a daily, it squealed maybe 2-3 times when cold. Used to be so embarrased approaching a red light while someone was there with their windows down staring as this locomotive came to a stop

* EBC pads had too much red paint on the guides so I had to remove that paint with a small wire brush so they weren't so tight. 2018 non-CCB
This is excellent information. Thank you so much for you input!
      05-17-2022, 12:23 AM   #64
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
That was a very funny story and your wake-up call, get the after-market brake pads. Here's the link: https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1617012
The ACG pads were another option that had been recommended to me on my previous thread. Are yours completely silent?
Don't buy the ACG. Many owners including myself are starting to get squealing now. Seems to happen around 10k miles of usage. Mine were silent until this past winter. Didn't have the issue last winter. If they don't quiet up this summer I'll be trying RGSports versions he sells.

You can check the brake sub forum for more info or just check his website.
Thank you for candidly sharing your experience! I appreciate it! This is part of the reason I enjoy this forum so much. You are not the first person that I have heard this from. Part of the reason I am so hesitant to change to any non-OEM pads, ACG or otherwise. Please let me know if you end up going with Ben's pads and how they sound!
      05-17-2022, 03:42 AM   #65
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Quote:
Thank you for candidly sharing your experience! I appreciate it! This is part of the reason I enjoy this forum so much. You are not the first person that I have heard this from. Part of the reason I am so hesitant to change to any non-OEM pads, ACG or otherwise. Please let me know if you end up going with Ben's pads and how they sound!
FWIW- I have almost 30K mi on my ACG pads and no squeal.

Squeal would drive me bananas, I'd literally sell the car if it couldn't be fixed.
      05-17-2022, 08:18 AM   #66
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpsy View Post
Quote:
FWIW- I have almost 30K mi on my ACG pads and no squeal.

Squeal would drive me bananas, I'd literally sell the car if it couldn't be fixed.
I wonder what is the actual cause of the noise. Based on what I have read here, something changes after X miles and the noise starts. Maybe the way the pads fit in the calipers changes as the pad wear/ get thinner. Maybe the brake pad material builds up on the rotors and somehow cause the noise. :

Seems like this was be a relatively easy fix by BMW Quality and Engineering.
Appreciate 1