BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Gearbox / Shifting Question

01-04-2020, 11:04 AM   #1
JBA87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5

Gearbox / Shifting Question

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Is it possible to change the gearbox/shifting settings such that the car will automatically shift at redline in full manual mode? Alternatively, is there an ECU/TCU tune available that will enable such a setting ?

I just came from an Audi S6 and the DSG would automatically shift at redline in manual mode. While I love the fact that the M5 has a true full manual mode that will hit redline, I am noticing that in spirited runs I will occasionally forget to shift (by habit) and hit the rev limiter hard. I would love to keep the car in manual mode but have the car shift at redline. I recognize you can put the car in drive that it will automatically shift but when I hit the paddle to downshift I revert back to manual mode, so it is very frustrating to toggle back and forth when I want the car to autoshift at redline in a spirited race

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 12:51 PM   #2
Omar0022
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBA87 View Post
Is it possible to change the gearbox/shifting settings such that the car will automatically shift at redline in full manual mode? Alternatively, is there an ECU/TCU tune available that will enable such a setting ?

I just came from an Audi S6 and the DSG would automatically shift at redline in manual mode. While I love the fact that the M5 has a true full manual mode that will hit redline, I am noticing that in spirited runs I will occasionally forget to shift (by habit) and hit the rev limiter hard. I would love to keep the car in manual mode but have the car shift at redline. I recognize you can put the car in drive that it will automatically shift but when I hit the paddle to downshift I revert back to manual mode, so it is very frustrating to toggle back and forth when I want the car to autoshift at redline in a spirited race

Thanks
I also came from an S6 and agreed with everything you just said. Found myself twice now not shifting in time before hitting redline and the pain my gut afterwards is terrible. I think it's just getting use to this different setup.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 01:38 PM   #3
JBA87
Lieutenant
Rep

So I assume there isn't a way to toggle the setting
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 03:06 PM   #4
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
There is not. I don't believe it's exposed through coding either. Possibly through a tune but I haven't seen that capability advertised.

I echo what was said below, it's just a matter of getting used to it. I hated it on my RS7... subjective I know.

Last edited by limeypride; 01-04-2020 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 03:07 PM   #5
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Nope, no way.

Had the best of two worlds in my F Type, while in D touching the paddles will allow to shift manually but will upshift automatically at redline. If you moved the lever to S, then it was full manual, no automatic upshift.

Same ZF transmission
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 03:10 PM   #6
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
Nope, no way.

Had the best of two worlds in my F Type, while in D touching the paddles will allow to shift manually but will upshift automatically at redline. If you moved the lever to S, then it was full manual, no automatic upshift.

Same ZF transmission
I'm not clear how that behavior differs from the F90 M5?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 03:10 PM   #7
Omar0022
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competition

Quote:
Not one that I have found or have heard of yet.. btw I also blame the Digital gauge cluster for this. It's not easy to see in my opinion and one of the negative drawbacks of the car. That information should be front and center for the driver and not pushed to the sides. They really should give the user more customization on a digital cluster otherwise give me back my needles!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 03:13 PM   #8
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

I came from RS6, same issue. LOL. The M5 gets to the red line VERY quickly. You have to re-learn in this true manual mode able car.

It is interesting though, if you do launch control, which you have to put the car in Manual Mode in order to activate, IT DOES UPSHIFT at the redline.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 03:21 PM   #9
JBA87
Lieutenant
Rep

It really does suck. I suppose the best compromise is to use D3 as the main setting, and then use the paddle shift to downshift, and then quickly tap the stick shifter to the right to get back into D3 after downshifting is completed .. a total pain. With all the customization on the car you would think there would be a button or at least setting in MMode iDrive settings that would enable auto up-shifting at redline in S3, much like I can change the tachometer setting in the heads up display ... very silly

We need to figure out a workaround

I would love to have S3 with manual up shifting at redline, with the ability to turn the auto up shifting off when desired
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 03:32 PM   #10
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It really does suck. I suppose the best compromise is to use D3 as the main setting, and then use the paddle shift to downshift, and then quickly tap the stick shifter to the right to get back into D3 after downshifting is completed .. a total pain. With all the customization on the car you would think there would be a button or at least setting in MMode iDrive settings that would enable auto up-shifting at redline in S3, much like I can change the tachometer setting in the heads up display ... very silly

We need to figure out a workaround

I would love to have S3 with manual up shifting at redline, with the ability to turn the auto up shifting off when desired
When you manually shift in D*, the car will automatically drop back into auto-shifting a few seconds after the last manual shift. In addition, you can also pull and hold the right paddle when in manual mode to force it into auto-mode.

Final trick: when in manual mode, flooring the throttle (through the detent or resistance point) and then pulling the left paddle will downshift directly to the lowest possible gear <-- this is very helpful for those who drive in manual mode all the time, i.e. me.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 12:42 AM   #11
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:
Nope, no way.

Same ZF transmission
I'm not clear how that behavior differs from the F90 M5?
Once you touch the paddles in F90 M5, the next upshift is manual at redline, whereas in F Type once you touch the paddles the next upshift is automatic at redline.
F Type has another transmission mode, S, where the upshift at redline is manual or it bounces off the limiter
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 01:15 AM   #12
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Once you touch the paddles in F90 M5, the next upshift is manual at redline, whereas in F Type once you touch the paddles the next upshift is automatic at redline.
F Type has another transmission mode, S, where the upshift at redline is manual or it bounces off the limiter
Ah, got it--thanks for clarifying. I don't think I've ever encountered that scenario.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 05:09 AM   #13
Nikolov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 F90 M5C, '17 911 TTS

The low gears (1-3) on the ZF are too short for manual shifting. You have to be really used to it, not to redline it when pushing it.
      01-05-2020, 06:00 AM   #14
JBA87
Lieutenant
Rep

I wonder if it can be coded into the car such that the car will not switch into manual mode when the down or up paddle is pressed if previously in D mode.

A related question, what is maximum RPM for shifting is it 7k, 71.1k, or 7.2k? Higher

Relatedly, does anyone feel as if the heads up display is slightly delayed ? Whenever I shift when the car hits "redline" in heads up display I feel as if it's too late ...

Also in heads up displays I notice as you get close to redline these additional yellow bars appears ? Are those some time of timing indicator for the driver ?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 08:13 AM   #15
Nikolov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 F90 M5C, '17 911 TTS

Quote:
I wonder if it can be coded into the car such that the car will not switch into manual mode when the down or up paddle is pressed if previously in D mode.

A related question, what is maximum RPM for shifting is it 7k, 71.1k, or 7.2k? Higher

Relatedly, does anyone feel as if the heads up display is slightly delayed ? Whenever I shift when the car hits "redline" in heads up display I feel as if it's too late ...

Also in heads up displays I notice as you get close to redline these additional yellow bars appears ? Are those some time of timing indicator for the driver ?
It does feel delayed a bit, yes. The yellow bars are an indicator that you're going into the redzone and you should shift. Basically once they pop up on the head up display, you have less than a second to switch gears (assuming you're at WOT).

My advice would be to just do a few spirited runs in manual and get a feel for when you're supposed to shift. Or just drive in D, there isn't much feedback from the gearbox when shifting manually anyway.

I got myself a 991.2 Turbo S for Christmas and that thing has a proper gearbox. Unlike the ZF in the F90 the gears have sensible ratios and you feel connected to the drivetrain. I never liked the ZF in the F90, now I like it even less after driving the Porsche for a week. I think I may have the Porsche as my DD and let the wife drive the F90.
      09-23-2020, 07:20 AM   #16
SatinblkF90
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5

Has anyone ever found a solution to this? It’s particularly problematic when trying to “roll race” and needing optimal starting gear and then needing to rely on the ZF to auto upshift, already had some trouble running other cars because of this stupid programming they did.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 07:24 AM   #17
edwarjejeega
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M850i, '18 X6M, '16 M4

Why is it like this? On my 850 (ZF8 trans) I can downshift to 2nd gear in "D" going 40 mph, stay on it for about a good 5 seconds with the trans in "2" (Manual) and then accelerate with it upshifting for me compelety fine. (goes from 2nd to "D" after I hit max RPMs and it shifts to 3rd)

It's weird because even a Hellcat (ZF8 trans too) can do the same exact thing my car can do. So I wonder why F90's can't.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 07:31 AM   #18
edwarjejeega
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M850i, '18 X6M, '16 M4

Which also brings me to my next question. A hellcat has the same exact transmission as the M5. So why is it my buddy can tune his hellcat trans to stay in gear in auto for about 30 seconds and also upshift itself but a M5 cannot? Pretty weird. How haven't tuners thought about this? Or they just can't do it? This is a major issue for roll racing especially for a Turbo'd car
Appreciate 0