BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    G-Power V2 downpipes and tune

03-10-2019, 08:46 AM   #23
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_2019_X5_50i View Post
I have two turbos in my X5 that have been tuned and your recommendation is to stay with stock pipes? The airflow is being restricted with these stock dp’s And exhaust. All I ever hear is “get your car tuned with downpipes”... You’re the first person to advise this. Anyone else want to chime in??
You are taking my posts out of context.

1. On my bench the factory cats outflow a 2.50” pipe.

2. A 3.00” pipe outflows the factory cats.

3. An aftermarket cat will not flow enough to be worth the $$$

4. Hmmmmmm

5. Don’t expect more than -15rwhp from cat delete due to the DME targeting Airflow Modeling. Will sound louder and spool faster and outside the ride you will smell hydrocarbons.

My only recommendation is..............
Appreciate 1
Miko M6648.50
      03-10-2019, 12:39 PM   #24
F90BSM5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Quote:
I have two turbos in my X5 that have been tuned and your recommendation is to stay with stock pipes? The airflow is being restricted with these stock dp's And exhaust. All I ever hear is "get your car tuned with downpipes"... You're the first person to advise this. Anyone else want to chime in??

1. On my bench the factory cats outflow a 2.50" pipe.

2. A 3.00" pipe outflows the factory cats.

4. Hmmmmmm

5. Don't expect more than -15rwhp from cat delete due to the DME targeting Airflow Modeling. Will sound louder and spool faster and outside the ride you will smell hydrocarbons.

This is very on point. At the end of the day, we all owe it to ourselves to do our own research and make the decision. Just decide what is it that you want out of your car and then focus on that and move forward with it.
Appreciate 1
onfireX53616.50
      03-10-2019, 02:39 PM   #25
F90BSM5
Private
Rep

G-Power V2 downpipes and tune

Quote:
Quote:
I have two turbos in my X5 that have been tuned and your recommendation is to stay with stock pipes? The airflow is being restricted with these stock dp's And exhaust. All I ever hear is "get your car tuned with downpipes"... You're the first person to advise this. Anyone else want to chime in??

1. On my bench the factory cats outflow a 2.50" pipe.

2. A 3.00" pipe outflows the factory cats.

4. Hmmmmmm

5. Don't expect more than -15rwhp from cat delete due to the DME targeting Airflow Modeling. Will sound louder and spool faster and outside the ride you will smell hydrocarbons.

This is very on point. At the end of the day, we all owe it to ourselves to do our own research and make the decision. Just decide what is it that you want out of your car and then focus on that and move forward with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 08:05 PM   #26
Austin_2019_X5_50i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i G05

Quote:

1. On my bench the factory cats outflow a 2.50” pipe.

2. A 3.00” pipe outflows the factory cats.

4. Hmmmmmm

5. Don’t expect more than -15rwhp from cat delete due to the DME targeting Airflow Modeling. Will sound louder and spool faster and outside the ride you will smell hydrocarbons.

I didn’t mean to sound rude but I did and I apologize.
Yeah $2k or actually more, is not worth that much power gain. Even though i do want to hear the spools more and the exhaust to be louder and have a little more rumble/burble it still might not be worth that much money.
Appreciate 1
onfireX53616.50
      03-10-2019, 08:14 PM   #27
Austin_2019_X5_50i
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F90BSM5 View Post
I just figured getting on a forum would take a lot of that time and energy spent researching all the websites, most that are not so good. It’s hard to find which tuner, exhaust, intakes are the best for this specific X5 50i. What I want out of my car is more speed (quickness). How high can the turbo psi go on my car before it gets to the danger zone?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 09:30 PM   #28
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
I just figured getting on a forum would take a lot of that time and energy spent researching all the websites, most that are not so good. It’s hard to find which tuner, exhaust, intakes are the best for this specific X5 50i. What I want out of my car is more speed (quickness). How high can the turbo psi go on my car before it gets to the danger zone?
Your question is a tough one to answer because the answer is not absolute. It varies according to fuel, altitude, etc. Most folks here that are interested in tuning have the same question as you do about their own cars but they've learned over time that the absolute numbers aren't that easy to come by... so, instead, they document their goals and progress in long-term threads working in the background with local tuners, peers on the forum and various other mods all the while posting incremental progress. I suspect you're only going to get the answers you're looking for in much the same way.

PS: this is also an F90 M5 specialized forum so the target audience, while close in terms of engine and goals, isn't quite the same.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 09:15 PM   #29
Austin_2019_X5_50i
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Your question is a tough one to answer because the answer is not absolute. It varies according to fuel, altitude, etc. Most folks here that are interested in tuning have the same question as you do about their own cars but they've learned over time that the absolute numbers aren't that easy to come by... so, instead, they document their goals and progress in long-term threads working in the background with local tuners, peers on the forum and various other mods all the while posting incremental progress. I suspect you're only going to get the answers you're looking for in much the same way.

PS: this is also an F90 M5 specialized forum so the target audience, while close in terms of engine and goals, isn't quite the same.

So I’m going to get the catless DP’s for more airflow, power, and a little noise. They also said they can increase the psi boost on the turbos a little more, 5psi to be exact putting it at 25 psi vs. 12psi stock (I believe). He said he would advise not going over 25psi on these turbos.

Anything sound incorrect or something I should get additional advice on before proceeding?

Thanks so much! I’ll post dyno video before and after.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 03:13 PM   #30
Austin_2019_X5_50i
Banned
Rep

Quote:
So I’m going to get the catless DP’s for more airflow, power, and a little noise. They also said they can increase the psi boost on the turbos a little more, 5psi to be exact putting it at 25 psi vs. 12psi stock (I believe). He said he would advise not going over 25psi on these turbos.

Anything sound incorrect or something I should get additional advice on before proceeding?

ANY VETS OUT THERE WHO CAN GUIDE ME TO THE BEST OF THE BEST DOWNPIPES??
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 10:47 PM   #31
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Quote:

ANY VETS OUT THERE WHO CAN GUIDE ME TO THE BEST OF THE BEST DOWNPIPES??
What's your budget?
Best of the best would be Keller Performance or Lusso.
Best bang for the buck, Evolution Racewerks.

PM me if you are interested in any of them.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 10:53 PM   #32
Bman14665
Rep

In hindsight I'm sure there are cheaper ways to pick up more HP. Honestly, G-Power does not do a good job in showing their before and after numbers so it was a bit of a risk going with them. It's why I wanted to create this post, to give other owners a data point on what type of gains to actually expect with G-Power.

In G-Power's defense, I will say that the quality of the tune is impeccable. Outside the exhaust you would have no idea the car isn't stock until you get deep in the throttle. The sound is also awesome, so much louder, so much more turbo noise, etc. I'm actually very happy with both the tune and sound.

Honestly, the gains might be larger than the Dyno showed. car was harder to Dyno after the tune. it squirmed alot more, we really had to strap it down hard. it trashed several Dyno pulls and I eventually had to turn the traction control totally off to get clean pulls. lots of heat soak occurred during that time and we only had enough time let it cool about 5 min between pulls. I suspect the Eventuri intake may be more efficient at speed vice on a Dyno with some fans too.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 05:18 PM   #33
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post

I did both down pipes and DME stage 2 tune.
I didn't mind spending almost 5K for Eisenmann down pipes knowing it wouldn't gain more then 15-20HP
I did it for sound more then HP
Same with Intake I spend 2K for very little gain but the noise it makes

Without cats and intake the car was spoiling so much quicker and sounded sick

Was worth every penny in mine eyes

Pure enjoyment
onfireX53616.50
M 4EVER191.00