07-09-2022, 01:42 PM   #1
Jszlaga
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M50i

Garage List
Roof Wrap Opinions

Yes, I went with the sunroof on my '22 M5 and frankly………..I love it. That being said, I still like a dark roof and think it looks good on MBB. I wrapped the roofs on my X5M and on my wife's X7 as well and very happy with the outcomes. On both the X5M and the X7 it was done in gloss black. With the M5, I'm considering the following:

- carbon roof wrap
- gloss roof wrap

I'll eventually get the carbon lip, side skirts, and diffuser so I'm leaning Carbon for the roof wrap. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 04:01 PM   #2
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jszlaga View Post
Yes, I went with the sunroof on my '22 M5 and frankly………..I love it. That being said, I still like a dark roof and think it looks good on MBB. I wrapped the roofs on my X5M and on my wife's X7 as well and very happy with the outcomes. On both the X5M and the X7 it was done in gloss black. With the M5, I'm considering the following:

- carbon roof wrap
- gloss roof wrap

I'll eventually get the carbon lip, side skirts, and diffuser so I'm leaning Carbon for the roof wrap. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
Carbon wrap is pretty impressive these days. If you have other carbon fiber accents I would go with that.
Jszlaga461.00
      07-09-2022, 10:31 PM   #3
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:

- carbon roof wrap
- gloss roof wrap

Been thinking of this for some time myself. Seen some new cf wraps that look insane. March that with autotecknic cf antennae cover and should look sick. Just have been putting $$ elsewhere. Wheels etc.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
Jszlaga461.00
      07-10-2022, 07:58 AM   #4
mpower3330
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

I’m doing gloss black vinyl wrap this week, it’s worked for me in the past on my F10 M5. Vinyl works better for the shark fin.
Appreciate 1
Jszlaga461.00
      07-10-2022, 11:23 AM   #5
Jszlaga
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower3330 View Post
I’m doing gloss black vinyl wrap this week, it’s worked for me in the past on my F10 M5. Vinyl works better for the shark fin.
Thanks for the input. I heard the AutoTechnik shark fin messes with radio signal. You know if that's true?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2022, 12:13 PM   #6
Jakerx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp

Quote:
With the M5, I'm considering the following:

- carbon roof wrap
- gloss roof wrap

I'm not against wraps. I think they can be done quite well. I am, however, against carbon wraps. Ultimate poser shenanigans (in my opinion). It's right along there with fake intercooler kits they used to sell back in the day during the first few years of the Fast and Furious craze.
Appreciate 2
Jszlaga461.00
MackSea70780.00
      07-10-2022, 12:15 PM   #7
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I'm doing gloss black vinyl wrap this week, it's worked for me in the past on my F10 M5. Vinyl works better for the shark fin.
Thanks for the input. I heard the AutoTechnik shark fin messes with radio signal. You know if that's true?
I can confirm that AutoTecknic does interfere with SiriusXM radio channels.
      07-10-2022, 01:04 PM   #8
mpower3330
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
That’s disappointing to know. I had a wrap for the roof on my f10 m5 like 8 years ago. Can’t recall if I had issues. I just bought the carbon shark fin from IND. thanks for heads up.

Last edited by mpower3330; 07-10-2022 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
Jszlaga461.00
      07-10-2022, 01:36 PM   #9
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
That’s disappointing to know. I had a wrap for the roof on my f10 m5 like 8 years ago. Can’t recall if I had issues. I just bought the carbon shark fin from IND. thanks for heads up.
Do you listen to Sirius? And I don't think the radio antennae is in the fin. They're usually long so need to be in the rear glass. I could be wrong.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
Jszlaga461.00
      07-10-2022, 02:05 PM   #10
Jszlaga
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
That's disappointing to know. I had a wrap for the roof on my f10 m5 like 8 years ago. Can't recall if I had issues. I just bought the carbon shark fin from IND. thanks for heads up.
Do you listen to Sirius? And I don't think the radio antennae is in the fin. They're usually long so need to be in the rear glass. I could be wrong.
All I listen to is Sirius and YouTube Music. Comments have me leaning gloss black roof and wrap fin in gloss black as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2022, 02:48 PM   #11
mpower3330
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I do but just noticing that they were referring to the carbon wrap making the satellite radio reception poor..not the vinyl gloss black. I am doing vinyl gloss black. Will cancel the carbon shark fin order. I might as well be directly linked to INDs internal order system, given the number of orders I’ve placed in that last 3 weeks 😂.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2022, 03:19 PM   #12
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's disappointing to know. I had a wrap for the roof on my f10 m5 like 8 years ago. Can't recall if I had issues. I just bought the carbon shark fin from IND. thanks for heads up.
You're right about the embedded in the glass type antenna for AM/FM radio; those are frequency broadcasts. The frequencies are beamed from on the ground traditional dishes you see when you drive by your local TV or radio station.

SiriusXM uses a powered antenna to receive an actual satellite signal, unlike frequency broadcasts (I'm obviously oversimplying the circuitous process involved, but that pretty much sums it up). As an OEM of their own products, they even sell specific antennas for this purpose for vehicles that are not equipped with SiriusXM antennas (but that certainly have the hardware for AM/FM radio) from the factory, or for people who would like to receive the signal inside their homes.

In the case of the F90, this specialized antenna from above is in fact embedded in the shark fin. That shark fin is body color even when you have the CF roof because CF is conductive, essentially rendering it a Faraday cage if the shell is constructed of CF. So placing the CF cover over the shark fin, though extremely aesthetically pleasing if you ask me, does exactly what/introduces the problem the manufacturer was trying to avoid to begin with.

Below is a more thorough (dated, but still technically accurate) graphic that's breaks down the steps.
Attached Images

07-10-2022, 03:30 PM   #13
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Wanted to provide some sourcing for my above comment (other than my own experience).

https://autotecknic.com/products/aut...5-g30-5-series
Attached Images

07-10-2022, 09:36 PM   #14
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
You're welcome! And agreed that it's very disappointing. I so wanted it to work.
      09-02-2022, 10:10 PM   #15
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I do but just noticing that they were referring to the carbon wrap making the satellite radio reception poor..not the vinyl gloss black. I am doing vinyl gloss black. Will cancel the carbon shark fin order. I might as well be directly linked to INDs internal order system, given the number of orders I've placed in that last 3 weeks 😂.
If you've got a body color roof, this is available now! It's made of Aramid fiber as opposed to CF so it's not electroconductive. This should work without punching XM signals in the nose.

https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...er-65205a59ab5

Jszlaga, you might be interested in this, too if you wanted to wrap the roof but have a CF fin!
      09-02-2022, 10:33 PM   #16
Jszlaga
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I do but just noticing that they were referring to the carbon wrap making the satellite radio reception poor..not the vinyl gloss black. I am doing vinyl gloss black. Will cancel the carbon shark fin order. I might as well be directly linked to INDs internal order system, given the number of orders I've placed in that last 3 weeks 😂.
If you've got a body color roof, this is available now! It's made of Aramid fiber as opposed to CF so it's not electroconductive. This should work without punching XM signals in the nose.

Jszlaga, you might be interested in this, too if you wanted to wrap the roof but have a CF fin!
Thank you ResIpsaLoquitur. I have already wrapped the roof black and will look into these. Need to post pics of my ride here soon once I take some.
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2022, 10:37 PM   #17
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you ResIpsaLoquitur. I have already wrapped the roof black and will look into these. Need to post pics of my ride here soon once I take some.
You're welcome!

Awesome! We'd love to see it!
      09-02-2022, 10:57 PM   #18
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Pics! Haha I want to do this to my DG
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0