BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Cosmetic Modifications    M Pro Spoiler Excess Betalink

11-15-2022, 02:03 PM   #1
tntravelingman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M5 Competition

M Pro Spoiler Excess Betalink

Hey everyone,

I had my dealer install the M Pro spoiler the day I picked the car up. It looks like the betalink wasn’t wiped off and oozed from the underside of the spoiler. Any ideas on how to get that off apart from removal and replacement? I’m worried about paint damage if it were removed, but I’m not sure what else could be done. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 02:23 PM   #2
adeuel
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Oxford Green M5C

Try various plastic trim removal tools to scrape it off.

I had a little of it that I was scraping off a day or two later.

However, that is a piss poor job by the dealer.
2016 Med Blue 650ix GC : 2008 BSM 535i 6MT
1999 Jet Black 528i
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 02:56 PM   #3
DarkishM5C
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 Dark Graphite M5C

Garage List
2023 M5C  [10.00]
I recommend you take it back to them and have them fix it. They should not charge you since they are the ones that did the installation. If you try to scrape it off, you could possibly damage the paint.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 03:56 PM   #4
tntravelingman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkishM5C View Post
I recommend you take it back to them and have them fix it. They should not charge you since they are the ones that did the installation. If you try to scrape it off, you could possibly damage the paint.
Would you expect the trunk to need to be repainted? I’d want the same style spoiler in the same spot, so etching immediately under the spoiler wouldn’t matter to me so much. I just don’t know how that betalink would be removed.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 04:28 PM   #5
DarkishM5C
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 Dark Graphite M5C

Garage List
2023 M5C  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntravelingman View Post
Would you expect the trunk to need to be repainted? I’d want the same style spoiler in the same spot, so etching immediately under the spoiler wouldn’t matter to me so much. I just don’t know how that betalink would be removed.
The dealership body shop should be able to clean/remove the excess betalink without damaging the paint. But I would definitely not try to scrape it off without using maybe a heat gun and some betalink chemical remover.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 06:29 PM   #6
NCRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5C

Echoing everyone else - Have the Dealer fix that!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 07:56 PM   #7
tntravelingman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRob View Post
I talked to my dealer and sent the pictures. Service didn’t like how it looked and they are going to let me bring it back in. I’m not sure what the plan is yet, but it sounds like they’re planning to take care of it one way or another!

I felt bad texting my salesman but he’s been awesome and got it set up right away.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 08:18 PM   #8
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I talked to my dealer and sent the pictures. Service didn’t like how it looked and they are going to let me bring it back in. I’m not sure what the plan is yet, but it sounds like they’re planning to take care of it one way or another!

I felt bad texting my salesman but he’s been awesome and got it set up right away.
It's good they're going to fix it. That's an awful job. It would have taken two seconds to clean that up before it dried. The longer that glue cures, the harder it's going to be to deal with.
      11-16-2022, 06:39 AM   #9
NCRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5C

Quote:

Sounds like you are a real solid, respectful person. That’s quite a resource these days. Don’t feel bad. Im sure it was just an unintentional careless oversight and sounds like they’re going to make it right, so albeit some inconvenience for you, everything works out and you have one bad ass ride. This is very timely for me personally as I am having my dealer install the exact same thing TOMORROW!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 08:38 AM   #10
tntravelingman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like you are a real solid, respectful person. That’s quite a resource these days. Don’t feel bad. Im sure it was just an unintentional careless oversight and sounds like they’re going to make it right, so albeit some inconvenience for you, everything works out and you have one bad ass ride. This is very timely for me personally as I am having my dealer install the exact same thing TOMORROW!
The dealer was great through the whole buying process and made it very easy. It’s my first BMW! Humans are fallible, it’s alright and fixable. Good luck with your install! Even with the glue this spoiler looks awesome.

I haven’t done the front lip that BMW recommends with the spoiler… I just don’t know if I’m sold on the look. And it’s an expensive look to achieve!

Thanks everyone.
Appreciate 0