BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    How far can I go before voiding warranty- exhaust?

12-24-2021, 07:12 PM   #1
Cfabrizio
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Comp Conv.

How far can I go before voiding warranty- exhaust?

Evening All,

Merry Christmas Eve. Newbie here, just picked up a 2020 M5 Comp. In short, the car is amazing but the exhaust falls a bit short of what it should be. Looking to see how much I can replace of the system to get a louder raspier tone + more cracks and pops without voiding the remaining warranty or needing a tune? Can I remove the resonators, install an x pipe, and everything down stream from there? New to the BMW world so I've been crushing youtube to find the exhaust that sounds best. Like the Akro but that price?? I know....you have to pay to play.

Thanks in advance...cf
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 08:30 PM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I doubt BMW would void the warranty for a cat back.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 12:43 AM   #3
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

do yourself a favor and remove the resonator, and put straight pipe. they would never notice. cheap, and sounds great, almost stock with a pinch more of everything.. trust me.
Appreciate 1
GranitM5366.00
      12-25-2021, 04:45 AM   #4
m5_mbb7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5CS, M5C, M2C

If it’s a big warranty claim and BMWNA comes out to pay out for something like a blown motor, they will certainly notice things like a missing resonator and potentially could void parts of the drivetrain warranty.

If I were you I’d get a catback exhaust and keep your stock exhaust so you can swap it if you ever want to. Also will keep the cars value if you ever sell it (stock exhaust will sell for more than an aftermarket to a dealership or carmax typically)
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 06:29 AM   #5
Dr. ///M
No_Country
Rep
Drives: %C2%9108 E90 Manual (prev. F82

Would almost certainly not be an issue…but if you're super worried then you know the drill.

I personally would not cut up the stock system…@TrevorM3 is correct on mild increase and low cost, but I'm a big fan of this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5_mbb7 View Post
If I were you I'd get a catback exhaust and keep your stock exhaust so you can swap it if you ever want to. Also will keep the cars value if you ever sell it (stock exhaust will sell for more than an aftermarket to a dealership or carmax typically)

If anything, find a used stock system to modify and keep yours.

Lastly (shameless plug), I'm selling a full AWE catback system. It retains valve operation and I'm the original owner of that important to you. PM me if interested.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 10:05 AM   #6
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 MT

Any modifications that is not OEM to include exhaust bits can void your warranty by manufacturer. It will be burden on you to prove that mods are no the cause of particular issue. I'm speaking from experience. Had to hire a lawyer; eventually we settled it out of court.

People will tell you, "I did this and that without impacting warranty". Owners manual has a statement about modification.

If your engine takes a shite, and you have mods; factory will deny your claim if they wish to. What saved me; details were annotate by a dealership before mods were done. I still had replaced modded part with an OEM part to satisfy manufacturer's concerns.

I no longer modify my cars under warranty.

Kevin Harvick
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 10:30 AM   #7
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
If it’s a big warranty claim and BMWNA comes out to pay out for something like a blown motor, they will certainly notice things like a missing resonator and potentially could void parts of the drivetrain warranty.

If I were you I’d get a catback exhaust and keep your stock exhaust so you can swap it if you ever want to. Also will keep the cars value if you ever sell it (stock exhaust will sell for more than an aftermarket to a dealership or carmax typically)

lol. holding "value", and mods.. they dont go together... why is this still a thought process?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 03:39 PM   #8
Dr. ///M
No_Country
Rep
Drives: %C2%9108 E90 Manual (prev. F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
Quote:
If it's a big warranty claim and BMWNA comes out to pay out for something like a blown motor, they will certainly notice things like a missing resonator and potentially could void parts of the drivetrain warranty.

If I were you I'd get a catback exhaust and keep your stock exhaust so you can swap it if you ever want to. Also will keep the cars value if you ever sell it (stock exhaust will sell for more than an aftermarket to a dealership or carmax typically)

lol. holding "value", and mods.. they dont go together... why is this still a thought process?
C'mon Trev, you know what he meant, no need to give the guy a hard time love-bug…it is Christmas after all

Yes, fact, if you sell a car to a dealership, especially a newer model car, 99% of the time you will get more money (specifically from a dealership, private party is a different story) for a completely stock vehicle. Of course there are exceptions, there always are exceptions….but as someone who just sold my F90C back to a local dealer at the end of my lease, I can attest that I received $5k more for selling it stock vs. leaving the mods on (exhaust, dps, intakes, etc). Same with my TRD Pro earlier this year…and my wife's Range Rover…but it is a sellers market lol ??
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 05:20 PM   #9
Slugsy01
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E63s AMG Estate

I would like to know this too. I am putting an Akra slip on (OPF) in January but fancied adding secondary downpipes. The dealer has approved the Akra re warranty wise but not sure if I am pushing it by adding down pipes?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 08:40 PM   #10
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Yes
Appreciate 1
Slugsy01155.50
      12-26-2021, 11:41 PM   #11
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

dont do downpipes..
Appreciate 1
Slugsy01155.50
      12-27-2021, 11:37 AM   #12
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Do them, but only if you don’t mind risking your warranty. Some of the tuners support just removing the smaller secondary cats for their stage 2 tunes, so there are gains. Dinan and Carbahn have some testing that suggests deleting cats offers minimal gains but I think many tuners are scared of the EPA and won’t talk publicly about catless mods anymore.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 05:42 PM   #13
DrivenAgain
MFJWADE
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Exhaust is for sound not HP on this platform. Pick your battles.
      12-28-2021, 11:22 AM   #14
AngryInch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Comp

Once you get into big power, cats have to restrict for sure. Not only restrict but the heat could melt them I’ve heard?

They look pretty restricting when you take them off. Turbos don’t like restrictions, I feel spool happens faster with downpipes. Plus it sounds awesome.
Appreciate 0