BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Dinan Resonator Delete and/or Axle-Back Exhaust Feedback

08-06-2021, 03:38 PM   #23
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Ok haven't gotten to drive it much. Had an appt shortly after picking up and I don't live far from the shop. But initial impressions. Much louder in M mode with flaps open. Significantly more pops. But it also seemed to still hideable using the flaps and out of M mode which makes me happy because it already caused a small argument with the wife just with the thought of me making it louder lol.

Will post more data once I drive more

As a reminder I removed the resonator (single stamped box) and the rear balance muffler between the main mufflers.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 12:04 AM   #24
Mike_Rob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 18' M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Ok haven't gotten to drive it much. Had an appt shortly after picking up and I don't live far from the shop. But initial impressions. Much louder in M mode with flaps open. Significantly more pops. But it also seemed to still hideable using the flaps and out of M mode which makes me happy because it already caused a small argument with the wife just with the thought of me making it louder lol.

As a reminder I removed the resonator (single stamped box) and the rear balance muffler between the main mufflers.

Was there a significant increase inside the cabin in sport+ ?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 06:32 AM   #25
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5C_Uber_Alles View Post
Hey Trevor,

Are you just straight piping to the resonator back all the way or what? I want to do a straight pipe instead of the X I think, but I’m not sure what muffler/exhaust parts I need

all we did was cut off the rear resonator, and did regular straight pipe with pipe the exhaust shop had in house. This is all you need.

Doing this enhances the sound, deeper tone, NO drone, and it retains the valves in the rear (as we didn't touch them) so it could still be stealth mode w/o issue. This is the BEST exhaust mod.You will not be dissapointed.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 08:16 AM   #26
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Rob View Post
Quote:

Was there a significant increase inside the cabin in sport+ ?
I mean ya. The car isn't sound sealed all that great to begin with and I have the fake exhaust noise turned off anyway. So yes I can hear it
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 01:47 PM   #27
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Got a good couple drives in today. Very subdued still in normal driving. Start up is much louder but still ok with valves closed. It has an interesting sound from the interior. I need to get someone to drive it around me so I ca hear it from the outside. Something about it doesn't seem right but my ASD may have been turned back on after my last dealer visit. I need to check that.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 03:43 PM   #28
brad65ford
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3

Quote:
Got a good couple drives in today. Very subdued still in normal driving. Start up is much louder but still ok with valves closed. It has an interesting sound from the interior. I need to get someone to drive it around me so I ca hear it from the outside. Something about it doesn't seem right but my ASD may have been turned back on after my last dealer visit. I need to check that.
Interesting feedback, looking to hear more from you on this and what you think.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 10:20 PM   #29
M5C_Uber_Alles
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
all we did was cut off the rear resonator, and did regular straight pipe with pipe the exhaust shop had in house. This is all you need.

Doing this enhances the sound, deeper tone, NO drone, and it retains the valves in the rear (as we didn't touch them) so it could still be stealth mode w/o issue. This is the BEST exhaust mod.You will not be dissapointed.
Perfect, thanks for responding. And another stupid question, what about the muffler etc? Is everything except the straight pipe stock? I wasn’t sure if even with the straight pipe and the resonator deleted if the muffler right behind the exhaust tips would still mute the sound too much?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 07:58 AM   #30
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad65ford View Post
Quote:
Interesting feedback, looking to hear more from you on this and what you think.
So in my M1 mode (D2 transmission setting) it has a TON more pops and bangs which i don't know if im a huge fan of. That's the biggest change with this mod so far.

And I hesitate to say this but I feel like I'm getting tones of someone putting an exhaust on a V6 Charger or Mustang. It just doesn't sound right to me. Again hard because I can't hear it from the outside of the car while driving.

Windows up and normal driving it's still very muted under normal driving. No drone or anything on the hwy. but….

I think I'll be keeping my order for the X pipe just to see if that helps. Honestly the issue may because I removed the balance can between the mufflers? Idk. I did that based on a recommendation from another member on here. I should have done it in stages so I know what is causing what sound etc. plus it cost almost another 40% to do that as they had to custom bend and weld pipe to make caps for the holes in the muffler now as he didn't just have metal plates to weld in.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
AGS495.50
      08-10-2021, 08:46 AM   #31
AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
So in my M1 mode (D2 transmission setting) it has a TON more pops and bangs which i don't know if im a huge fan of. That's the biggest change with this mod so far.

And I hesitate to say this but I feel like I'm getting tones of someone putting an exhaust on a V6 Charger or Mustang. It just doesn't sound right to me. Again hard because I can't hear it from the outside of the car while driving.

Windows up and normal driving it's still very muted under normal driving. No drone or anything on the hwy. but….

I think I'll be keeping my order for the X pipe just to see if that helps. Honestly the issue may because I removed the balance can between the mufflers? Idk. I did that based on a recommendation from another member on here. I should have done it in stages so I know what is causing what sound etc. plus it cost almost another 40% to do that as they had to custom bend and weld pipe to make caps for the holes in the muffler now as he didn't just have metal plates to weld in.
Thanks for keeping us updated! Your comment that I highlighted in red has me very curious about this mod. I don't want more pops and bangs, just a more aggressive exhaust sound. Will be very interested to hear if the x pipe counteracts this.

I was also thinking about the cost issue of having custom stright pipes made vs. installing the Dinan x pipe. The Dinan x pipe is relatively cost effective at $500, so if the extra labor and materials to custom fabricate straight pipes comes to $200 - $300, then the difference in cost is even less material.

Lastly, a thought occurred to me as I was typing this response. If straight pipe yielded a better result than a x pipe, Dinan could have easily developed a resonantor delete kit that utilized a straight pipe design. I would think there is a reason why they went with a x pipe design.
Previous: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2016 Silverstone M5 CP, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 CP (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 09:02 AM   #32
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGS View Post
Quote:
So in my M1 mode (D2 transmission setting) [COLOR="Red"]it has a TON more pops and bangs [/COLOR]which i don't know if im a huge fan of. That's the biggest change with this mod so far.

Thanks for keeping us updated! Your comment that I highlighted in red has me very curious about this mod. I don't want more pops and bangs, just a more aggressive exhaust sound. Will be very interested to hear if the x pipe counteracts this.

I was also thinking about the cost issue of having custom stright pipes made vs. installing the Dinan x pipe. The Dinan x pipe is relatively cost effective at $500, so if the extra labor and materials to custom fabricate straight pipes comes to $200 - $300, then the difference in cost is even less material.

Lastly, a thought occurred to me as I was typing this response. If straight pipe yielded a better result than a x pipe, Dinan could have easily developed a resonantor delete kit that utilized a straight pipe design. I would think there is a reason why they went with a x pipe design.
I think the x pipe is all about opinion and perception really. For example several on here say the straight pipe sounds perfect. Even my old AMG sounded much better with a simple res and 2nd cat delete. Didn't need an x pipe. Typically x pipe is meant to balance an unbalanced exhaust ie. Different length pipes etc. I don't think the M5 has a terribly uneven set up. Which makes me wonder if the deletion of the balance can between the mufflers is my issue.

Regardless more pops and bangs is only present when I'm in sport+ and a higher transmission level. It doesn't exist past normal amount In comfort mode etc.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 09:39 AM   #33
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Quote:
I think the x pipe is all about opinion and perception really. For example several on here say the straight pipe sounds perfect. Even my old AMG sounded much better with a simple res and 2nd cat delete. Didn't need an x pipe. Typically x pipe is meant to balance an unbalanced exhaust ie. Different length pipes etc. I don't think the M5 has a terribly uneven set up. Which makes me wonder if the deletion of the balance can between the mufflers is my issue.
Straight pipes are typically marginally louder and more "raw/rowdy" for lack of a better term whereas an X smooths out the flow and produces a more refined consistent sound. Really a matter of personal taste of what kind of sound is more your style. Being an M5 we simply opted for what we thought the majority of the crowd would prefer in the X with the vehicle being more synonymous with a "gentleman's car".
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 04:12 PM   #34
brad65ford
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Straight pipes are typically marginally louder and more "raw/rowdy" for lack of a better term whereas an X smooths out the flow and produces a more refined consistent sound. Really a matter of personal taste of what kind of sound is more your style. Being an M5 we simply opted for what we thought the majority of the crowd would prefer in the X with the vehicle being more synonymous with a "gentleman's car".
Need more videos to show case your product. The videos online are all over the place, the listed video under Dinan's youtube page is a mix with their cat back also under a overpass/bridge or something which seems misleading. Personally I'd think your x mid pipe would flow the best but may kill some of the rumbly sound some may want. Regardless would be cool to hear a before and after of the same car. Some of the reviews on this thread are mixed regarding liking the sound or not.

Last edited by brad65ford; 08-10-2021 at 08:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
EPTXM571.50
      08-17-2021, 08:29 AM   #35
AGS
Major
Rep

There doesn't seem to be much experience out there with the Dinan axle-back exhaust, so I've continued to search and listen to videos of other systems. Based on the video below, I'm strongly considering the Eisenmann Performance Exhaust. It seems to maintain fairly quiet performance with the valves closed, but a nice, deep growl with the valves open. Anyone have this that can comment? Thanks!

Previous: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2016 Silverstone M5 CP, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 CP (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 09:04 AM   #36
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
There doesn't seem to be much experience out there with the Dinan axle-back exhaust, so I've continued to search and listen to videos of other systems. Based on the video below, I'm strongly considering the Eisenmann Performance Exhaust. It seems to maintain fairly quiet performance with the valves closed, but a nice, deep growl with the valves open. Anyone have this that can comment? Thanks!

Yes but not what this thread is about man.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 09:58 AM   #37
AGS
Major
Rep

Quote:
Correct, but since I started the thread I took the liberty. But I do appreciate you trying to keep the thread on topic. If you have experience with the Eisenmann Performance exhaust would like to hear about it, either in this thread or PM me. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 09:29 PM   #38
cruzzinlow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Here’s a bunch of videos I took with GoPro of Dinan axle back exhaust with stock mid pipe on 2019 comp
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0SiD...EaQ3X6_kakKX7Q

P.S. I’m no videographer ��
AGS495.50
      09-03-2021, 12:31 AM   #39
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Correct, but since I started the thread I took the liberty. But I do appreciate you trying to keep the thread on topic. If you have experience with the Eisenmann Performance exhaust would like to hear about it, either in this thread or PM me. Thanks!
Wish I did at this point if I'm gonna spending $2.5-3k on an exhaust I'd rather put that toward new rims. Haha. I am still waiting on the dinan x pipe.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 06:18 PM   #40
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Just had my Dinan res delete installed by AutoCouture (thanks to Matt@AutoCouture) here in NJ. 2019 M5C, otherwise stock exhaust, no tune.

Cold startup in Efficient roughly the same. Cruising and highway in Efficient is mostly unchanged. Pretty expected.

Sport gets a solid sound upgrade cold and warm, but still subtle.

Sport+ warmed up has a slightly louder startup, and more pops and bangs when cruising. Highway gets a nice deeper-than-stock growl, more pops and bangs, and an overall louder sound. This is definitely where it shines. Really dig it, especially for $500.

Could you just straight pipe it and get more raw sound? Sure, but I didn't want that. I did a res delete and Active Autowerke axle back with a tune on my 335 years ago, and had that fun already .

Honestly a great sound mod for the $.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 1
AGS495.50
      10-01-2021, 06:35 PM   #41
eric97hoh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 bmw m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
Just had my Dinan res delete installed by AutoCouture (thanks to Matt@AutoCouture) here in NJ. 2019 M5C, otherwise stock exhaust, no tune.

Cold startup in Efficient roughly the same. Cruising and highway in Efficient is mostly unchanged. Pretty expected.

Sport gets a solid sound upgrade cold and warm, but still subtle.

Sport+ warmed up has a slightly louder startup, and more pops and bangs when cruising. Highway gets a nice deeper-than-stock growl, more pops and bangs, and an overall louder sound. This is definitely where it shines. Really dig it, especially for $500.

Could you just straight pipe it and get more raw sound? Sure, but I didn't want that. I did a res delete and Active Autowerke axle back with a tune on my 335 years ago, and had that fun already .

Honestly a great sound mod for the $.

hey can you please post videos on this ?

Previous BMW model 2018 bmw 340i FBO custom e50 tune 500 wheel
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 06:49 PM   #42
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Absolutely. Little time today, but I'll get a few in different settings this weekend

2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 03:21 PM   #43
eric97hoh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 bmw m5

Quote:
Absolutely. Little time today, but I'll get a few in different settings this weekend

any videos yet I'm about to pull the trigger on this x pipe as well , the tubro inlets are amazing would be nice to pair x pipe turbo inlets and bmc/ charcoal filter delete

Previous BMW model 2018 bmw 340i FBO custom e50 tune 500 wheel
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 03:56 PM   #44
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric97hoh View Post
Quote:

any videos yet I'm about to pull the trigger on this x pipe as well , the tubro inlets are amazing would be nice to pair x pipe turbo inlets and bmc/ charcoal filter delete
Nothing great, since it decided to rain on me when I had time, so it's from my garage door lol

Cold start in Efficient, followed by cold start in Sport+

I backed up to the door get some good burbles. The revs after I back up are in Efficient, followed by Sport+

2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
Appreciate 0