BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    can i change only one tire ?

10-28-2021, 04:30 PM   #1
eric97hoh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 bmw m5

can i change only one tire ?

my front right pireli zero got patched twice and still loses air so I decided to order a new one. can I change one tire on the m5 car only has 8000 miles or do I have to change both front tires ?

Previous BMW model 2018 bmw 340i FBO custom e50 tune 500 wheel
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 06:38 AM   #2
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

at 8k, you might as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 07:21 AM   #3
dougpaper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

I had 4k on my fronts and they couldn't patch mine, the dealer claimed i could get by with one but to be safe i went with 2.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 08:17 AM   #4
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

For me it would depend on the wear difference. With 4K on one I would try a new one in the other side. With 8k I am not sure — I have not had my car long enough to know the tire replacement intervals yet. You feel difference more in the front than in the back, I would not want pulling up front, for example. I don’t think the tiny bit of circumference change would affect the AWD or traction control but that is also worth considering.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 09:35 AM   #5
AngryInch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Comp

These tires barely have any tread, check the depths with a tire gauge. You’re probably fire. Front won’t wear as fast as the rears
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 11:11 AM   #6
eric97hoh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryInch View Post
These tires barely have any tread, check the depths with a tire gauge. You’re probably fire. Front won’t wear as fast as the rears
I have not driven the car aggressively from launch or dig more at highway speeds. the fronts are in decent condition besides the fact that the right had to get patched twice. I put psi at 34 for that tire and woke up to it already losing 5 psi going down to 29 in the morning lol.i also just recently changed the tire setting from winter all year to summer. I tried this when I just got the car and it glitched so I changed it back I don't know. hopefully just changing one can get me their if not I will change left as well

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 12:49 PM   #7
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

No one is for sure yet how "sensitive" the x-drive system for the M5 is. If this were a GT-R being drag raced, I'd tell you you were nuts for even considering it. But it's a whole new better system with disengagement possible. Changes everything.

Always safest to do all four. Probably okay on this one to do in pairs. Closely matched, could probably do just one. But it's guesswork.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 01:01 PM   #8
CosmicCharlie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M5 comp, '24 X7 m60i

I had a puncture on my front left tire and replaced it about 150 miles ago… after engaging in other threads about Pirelli v Michelin and longevity of each I decided to take a closer look at my rears (Pirelli) and decided to replace the remaining three tires (both rears, front right). My car has around 15k miles and the original front tire still looked good and had more than enough tread for me to be comfortable pairing with a new one, but now that I'm doing the rears I feel better getting all four on the same page, so to speak, with tread wear.

In your case, I'd just measure tread depth and if you're still within 2-3 mm of new I wouldn't worry about pairing a brand new one on the other side. With 8k on Pirelli's you're probably right on the fence.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 01:37 PM   #9
eric97hoh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicCharlie View Post
I had a puncture on my front left tire and replaced it about 150 miles ago… after engaging in other threads about Pirelli v Michelin and longevity of each I decided to take a closer look at my rears (Pirelli) and decided to replace the remaining three tires (both rears, front right). My car has around 15k miles and the original front tire still looked good and had more than enough tread for me to be comfortable pairing with a new one, but now that I'm doing the rears I feel better getting all four on the same page, so to speak, with tread wear.

In your case, I'd just measure tread depth and if you're still within 2-3 mm of new I wouldn't worry about pairing a brand new one on the other side. With 8k on Pirelli's you're probably right on the fence.
did you end up going with 4s tires all around? thanks for the insight btw appreciate it.
also is it ok for me to put 2 Michelin 4s on the back and leave the pirelis in the front or I shouldn't do that ?

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 03:42 PM   #10
CosmicCharlie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M5 comp, '24 X7 m60i

No, I decided to stick with Pirelli all around.. lots of people here seem to prefer PS4, and some act like the Pirelli's render the car practically undriveable. However, I had both PS4 and P zero in my cart and choose the Pirelli star-marked OEM… I know how they feel, how the car drives with them, where the limits are etc. and I really don't have any complaints with that tire- the rears lasted about 15k miles with my driving style and I'm fine with that. The price difference is negligible, so it came down to reasoning I don't need to change something I'm not dissatisfied with.

As for mixing and matching… not something I would do but that opinion isn't based on anything especially objective, it just doesn't sound like a great idea.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 03:53 PM   #11
eric97hoh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicCharlie View Post
No, I decided to stick with Pirelli all around.. lots of people here seem to prefer PS4, and some act like the Pirelli's render the car practically undriveable. However, I had both PS4 and P zero in my cart and choose the Pirelli star-marked OEM… I know how they feel, how the car drives with them, where the limits are etc. and I really don't have any complaints with that tire- the rears lasted about 15k miles with my driving style and I'm fine with that. The price difference is negligible, so it came down to reasoning I don't need to change something I'm not dissatisfied with.

As for mixing and matching… not something I would do but that opinion isn't based on anything especially objective, it just doesn't sound like a great idea.
I see I might want to try the ps4 star BMW tires next on the rears in 5 to 10k miles and as soon as the fronts go out change those as well we shall see how it goes !

Appreciate 0