BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    What Are People Doing for Winter Wheels/ Tires?

11-05-2018, 01:20 PM   #45
Neptune7
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

I found out recently that there is a port-installed option for a full winter and tire set you can add to the car. And, I believe it is "residualized". It costs around $4400. I'm choosing this option.

ZW8 19" Winter Wheel & Tire Set
Appreciate 1
POBA272.00
      11-05-2018, 05:27 PM   #46
Fegelein
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
I live in small town, driving to nort Chicago.
Guys are pretty good there, specially the guy that sold me the last 5 cars... one of the biggest car enthusiast I have met

Got it all done today
Nice, so your dealership handled this and no scratches on wheels? I can't imagine the dealerships not having the machines that are coated, to not scratch wheels, etc.
Big pain in the ass now, is lugging the tires too and from. Going to need an SUV to follow me...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 05:29 PM   #47
Fegelein
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

All you guys aware, that there is a setting for the tires, in which you tell tell the OBC that you are running either summer or winter / all seasons?
I stumbled across this, when I got the message that my TPMS was reading 30 at each tire, so needed air in all.
Appreciate 1
zuschnell553.50
      11-07-2018, 08:32 PM   #48
Sagamore
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

New member. First post.
Took delivery of 2019 M5 two weeks ago. In New England, weather getting cold. Plenty of snow on the way.
My car has the 19s with standard brakes and Pirelli PZeroes.

I've had a 328 and 535d recently, both with xDrive and all-seasons, which worked fine. Need a set of winter wheels/tires because this summer rubber won't work much longer around here.

No luck at any of the nearby dealers (nothing in stock and can't afford to wait 6-8 weeks). Spoke to Tire Rack. Since they haven't had a chance to measure the car themselves, the website indicates that they don't have anything that fits. However, I found that BBS CI-R 19s should work, and they have those. Might not be the best looking rims, but not bad and run about $650 per wheel. They are 19x10 and I plan to run them on all four corners.

Picked up 275/40/19 Blizzak LM-32 for about $300 per tire. So... about $4k for the entire setup, wheels, tires, sensors to be delivered to me.

My only lingering concern is that TireRack won't guarantee that these fit because they can't stand behind wheels for a car they haven't directly measured. BBS says they're fine, and the sizing seems to be within 1% or so of the stock setup (since front rims are 0.5" wider than stock, rears 0.5" narrower).

Offset on these wheels is 25, while stock 19s are 26/28.

Given all of this... anyone have feedback for me, positive or negative? They aren't expected to ship until next week, so if I'm making a mistake, now is the time to pull the plug.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 08:41 PM   #49
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagamore View Post
New member. First post.
Took delivery of 2019 M5 two weeks ago. In New England, weather getting cold. Plenty of snow on the way.
My car has the 19s with standard brakes and Pirelli PZeroes.

I've had a 328 and 535d recently, both with xDrive and all-seasons, which worked fine. Need a set of winter wheels/tires because this summer rubber won't work much longer around here.

No luck at any of the nearby dealers (nothing in stock and can't afford to wait 6-8 weeks). Spoke to Tire Rack. Since they haven't had a chance to measure the car themselves, the website indicates that they don't have anything that fits. However, I found that BBS CI-R 19s should work, and they have those. Might not be the best looking rims, but not bad and run about $650 per wheel. They are 19x10 and I plan to run them on all four corners.

Picked up 275/40/19 Blizzak LM-32 for about $300 per tire. So... about $4k for the entire setup, wheels, tires, sensors to be delivered to me.

My only lingering concern is that TireRack won't guarantee that these fit because they can't stand behind wheels for a car they haven't directly measured. BBS says they're fine, and the sizing seems to be within 1% or so of the stock setup (since front rims are 0.5" wider than stock, rears 0.5" narrower).

Offset on these wheels is 25, while stock 19s are 26/28.

Given all of this... anyone have feedback for me, positive or negative? They aren't expected to ship until next week, so if I'm making a mistake, now is the time to pull the plug.

Thanks!
Congrats on the car!!!
You need to post some pictures

BTW the width of the rims won't effect rolling diameter for the AWD
You should be fine with your set up.
      11-07-2018, 09:03 PM   #50
Sagamore
Rep

Thanks. Singapore Gray with silverstone interior.
The new BBS rims will be gloss black. Give it a little different look for the next 4-5 months.

1200 miles in. This car is a beast. Really happy with it. And a sleeper on the highway and in parking lots.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Miko M6648.50
      11-07-2018, 09:06 PM   #51
bengals9
Rep
Drives: M5

not sure if this is good but my dealer got me 19" michelin alpin 5 265/40 and just put them on my factory rims
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 09:50 PM   #52
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals9 View Post
not sure if this is good but my dealer got me 19" michelin alpin 5 265/40 and just put them on my factory rims
You should be good as long as rolling diameter Is the same
I put 285/35 square
Attached Images

11-08-2018, 07:58 PM   #53
getz
Rep

Do you fellas with 19" know if you can fit a square set up on a staggered wheel? I am getting desperate and don't want to let the car sit in the winter. I have a 17 Ford Raptor for the really snowy days, but love driving the M5. I rocked a GTR year round in Eastern Washington winter, and always had a blast. Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 08:26 PM   #54
bengals9
Rep
Drives: M5

Since my are Square and on I say yes
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 10:31 AM   #55
POBA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune7 View Post
I found out recently that there is a port-installed option for a full winter and tire set you can add to the car. And, I believe it is "residualized". It costs around $4400. I'm choosing this option.

ZW8 19" Winter Wheel & Tire Set
Thanks for the posting. Please keep in mind that you will need to buy new summer set. You can get only summer OR winter set from the factory. They will take away your summer set, at least this is what the dealer told me because I was looking into this option. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 12:16 PM   #56
getz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals9 View Post
Since my are Square and on I say yes
Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 12:37 PM   #57
Neptune7
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by POBA View Post
Thanks for the posting. Please keep in mind that you will need to buy new summer set. You can get only summer OR winter set from the factory. They will take away your summer set, at least this is what the dealer told me because I was looking into this option. Good luck!
Thanks for the heads up. I'll triple-check just to be sure, but I asked this very question, because I definitely want the forged wheels and summer tires as well.

The sales manager told me that the port would remove the summer rims, install the winter ones, then ship the summer rims side by side with the car. This would allow the winter wheels to be residualized, while keeping the summers. So, I would keep both the summer and winter sets. This makes sense, given that I am paying extra for the winter wheels.

UPDATE: I just triple-checked, and yes I will be getting BOTH sets of wheels - the winters will be mounted on the car, and the summers will be FedEx-ed to the dealership for me to pick up. So in essence, you're getting the summers from the factory and the winters from the port, but you get the winters on the car and the summers shipped at the same time to you at time of pick-up.

Last edited by Neptune7; 11-09-2018 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
POBA272.00
      11-09-2018, 12:56 PM   #58
POBA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. I'll triple-check just to be sure, but I asked this very question, because I definitely want the forged wheels and summer tires as well.

The sales manager told me that the port would remove the summer rims, install the winter ones, then ship the summer rims side by side with the car. This would allow the winter wheels to be residualized, while keeping the summers. So, I would keep both the summer and winter sets. This makes sense, given that I am paying extra for the winter wheels.

UPDATE: I just triple-checked, and yes I will be getting BOTH sets of wheels - the winters will be mounted on the car, and the summers will be FedEx-ed to the dealership for me to pick up. So in essence, you're getting the summers from the factory and the winters from the port, but you get the winters on the car and the summers shipped at the same time to you at time of pick-up.
Thank you so much for the update!! I was misinformed, I will call my sales manger to clarify. Sorry for the confusion, please kindly clarify this point, are you getting both rims and winter tires set at the port, and then they ship the summer set to your dealership or ONLY winter tires mounted on the factory rims? What is the rims size for the winter set and are they squared or staggered? What is the price? I have been going through this for a while with the dealer to figure it out. I have 19 SG on order and currently in production. Your info is very helpful!! I appreciate your time and help in advance. Again, thank you!! Enjoy it in good health!!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 01:11 PM   #59
Neptune7
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by POBA View Post
Thank you so much for the update!! I was misinformed, I will call my sales manger to clarify. Sorry for the confusion, please kindly clarify this point, are you getting both rims and winter tires set at the port, and then they ship the summer set to your dealership or ONLY winter tires mounted on the factory rims? What is the rims size for the winter set and are they squared or staggered? What is the price? I have been going through this for a while with the dealer to figure it out. I have 19 SG on order and currently in production. Your info is very helpful!! I appreciate your time and help in advance. Again, thank you!! Enjoy it in good health!!
Great questions.

I am getting both rims and winter tires in a package. They're 19" rims. So, the 20" wheels would be removed and replaced with the winter wheels (rims+tires). I was quoted $4440.

I am in the process of getting more info about the rims and tires in the winter package, and whether it's a square setup. I'll share more when I get the info.

Btw, the winter wheels are apparently not on site, so my car will be sitting at VPC for a couple of weeks while they're air-shipped from Germany. So, two more weeks of wait added to the 7 months so far
Appreciate 1
POBA272.00
      11-09-2018, 03:21 PM   #60
POBA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Great questions.

I am getting both rims and winter tires in a package. They're 19" rims. So, the 20" wheels would be removed and replaced with the winter wheels (rims+tires). I was quoted $4440.

I am in the process of getting more info about the rims and tires in the winter package, and whether it's a square setup. I'll share more when I get the info.

Btw, the winter wheels are apparently not on site, so my car will be sitting at VPC for a couple of weeks while they're air-shipped from Germany. So, two more weeks of wait added to the 7 months so far
Thank you so much for the info, very helpful!! Please keep us posted. I will share the updated info I get from my sales manager hopefully this weekend. Be well...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 11:07 AM   #61
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
Poland
Rep
Drives: 10 335i 21 740li

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagamore View Post
Thanks. Singapore Gray with silverstone interior.
The new BBS rims will be gloss black. Give it a little different look for the next 4-5 months.

1200 miles in. This car is a beast. Really happy with it. And a sleeper on the highway and in parking lots.
you have 19s already

IMHO the best move is to put the winter on those wheels
      11-10-2018, 04:10 PM   #62
wanesso
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 M3, no mods,no probs

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2017 GT-R  [0.00]
2015 BMW i8  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerM5 View Post
Very interested in this thread as my 2019 allocation should arrive in December in the heart of the Midwest and will need winter tire/rims right away!
My problem too. Winter tires are mandatory and car arrives in a week. Going to keep close eye on what you guys find out for the US market. Hope to keep same rims and switch tires
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 11:49 PM   #63
alpinefrenchfry
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp

In case anyone is wondering, through the two dealers I contacted, BMW is not bringing in any additional inventory of either the staggered or square winter tires in. I paid for mine and got told that there's no inventory left and unlikely that any more would come in for the rest of the year. apparently "bmw didn't think people would be driving the car in winter"
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 06:37 AM   #64
AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinefrenchfry View Post
In case anyone is wondering, through the two dealers I contacted, BMW is not bringing in any additional inventory of either the staggered or square winter tires in. I paid for mine and got told that there's no inventory left and unlikely that any more would come in for the rest of the year. apparently "bmw didn't think people would be driving the car in winter"
I heard something different (not saying it's correct, just that I heard different information). The person I spoke to told me the issue is BMW is waiting on shipments of tires from Michelin. The 19" tires are supposed to come in any time now for the ferric grey "4-square" set and the 20" rear ties for the orbit grey staggered set are due in early- to mid-December. I've been emailing my contact periodically for updates and will report back if I hear anything new/different.
Previous: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2016 Silverstone M5 CP, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 CP (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 05:25 AM   #65
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinefrenchfry View Post
When was this conversation? Ordered my square set up on 10/28. They arrived on 11/8.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 09:58 AM   #66
spak2323
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition BSM

Hi. Newbie here. Does anyone have experience with staggered 275/35R 20, 285/35R 20 Sottozero II setup for '19 M5 Comp? This does not appear to be an officially recommended setup, but I'm not planning on driving the car hard during the winter.

FYI, dealer at first offered $3,663 plus tax for 19" OEM wheel and tire set with Alpin 5's 265 front 285 rear, then informed me that the package will not be available until March/April 2020.
Appreciate 0