BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion    HELP I’m exasperated – seat memory and key FOBS not working

10-05-2022, 05:28 PM   #1
Manny01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2

HELP I’m exasperated – seat memory and key FOBS not working

Posted this in the M2 forums but there wasn’t much help. Going to try the general forums now and hopefully I can get some answers before the mods banish this thread to some dark corner of Bimmerpost.

I own a 2021 F87 and I’m at my wits’ end with the key fobs and seat memories. Here’s my experiences:

1. When I set the seat memories using the buttons on the seat the car does not remember/recall them. And yes I'm holding the button down. I get an error that says "seat position not stored". This feels like a pretty straight forward warranty issue.
2. When I program key fob 1 and 2, the car will only recall the assigned seating and mirror positions if fob 1 locks the car after existing AND fob 2 unlocks the car before entering. Seems reasonable. Here are the failure points: If fob 1 doesn’t lock the car, fob 2 will not recall the assigned seating and mirror positions. And if fob 1 locks the car, and fob 2 doesn’t unlock, fob 2 doesn’t recall the assigned seating and mirror positions. Lastly if fob 1 doesn’t lock and fob 2 doesn’t unlock, fob 2 doesn’t recall the assigned seating and mirror positions (i.e., comfort access doesn’t recall). Everything here works in reverse, too.

Imagine the frustration when we’re parked in a tight garage, and my seat is set to my wife’s tiny self, and I try to squeeze my man bod into a seat that is maxed raised and maxed forward because the damn fob isn’t recalling my positions. Frustrating as heck. Is this user error? Am I missing something here? I’ve never had this problem with the dozen other cars we’ve owned. You press the fob, seat sets, simple.

Sexy beast for reference:

Last edited by Manny01; 10-05-2022 at 05:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 10:09 PM   #2
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

I apologize for the brief reply.

Assuming you have iDrive 7, have you gone through the various iDrive settings? Specifically, the Driver Profiles section. If you haven't, I'd enter the car with only one key fob. Leave the other one a significant distance away (in the house, etc.). Go through the settings, make sure they are saved under the appropriate profile (small icon/square at the top should be for the appropriate user - touch to make sure). Shut the car down, lock it, and walk away. Repeat this in 10 minutes (probably more time than needed), with the first fob a significant distance away. With the second fob, again make sure the appropriate profile is connected with that key at the top (e.g. wife). Go through the settings, etc. and save.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2022, 08:06 AM   #3
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
I apologize for the brief reply.

Assuming you have iDrive 7, have you gone through the various iDrive settings? Specifically, the Driver Profiles section. If you haven't, I'd enter the car with only one key fob. Leave the other one a significant distance away (in the house, etc.). Go through the settings, make sure they are saved under the appropriate profile (small icon/square at the top should be for the appropriate user - touch to make sure). Shut the car down, lock it, and walk away. Repeat this in 10 minutes (probably more time than needed), with the first fob a significant distance away. With the second fob, again make sure the appropriate profile is connected with that key at the top (e.g. wife). Go through the settings, etc. and save.
He has idrive 6

I would go back to the dealer and have the genius walk you through the seat and key memory setup. By the way this is a free service at all BMW dealers. Genius is there to help answer questions about your car.

Last edited by DanG; 10-06-2022 at 08:12 AM..
Appreciate 0